Thread: 223

I have the a rcbs jr3 reloading press on its way but no dies.What do you guys recommend for reloading .223 please.

BBF
    "The grass is always greener on the other side"

Some might not agree but i use lee dies they good for the money and get the job done for me you will pick up a set for less than £30 forgot to say that i use their full length dies i'm not keen on their neck dies
    Last edited by ZAKDINGEL; 07-07-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling

That's great thanks.

What cases are you using,how many time do they get reused and do you anneal them at all.

BBF
    Last edited by Blackbaronfish; 30-07-2014 at 05:09 AM.

It's just personal choice as far as dies go, or so I have found. Me? I like RCBS dies, haven't found the need to anneal cases yet.

As for brass, have tried Winchester, Privi, Remington & Norma.

Happy with all of them, it was more a case of having more cases than you need. In fact my favourite load has been developed with Privi brass.

All I would say regarding brass is make sure you can get another supply of brass in whichever brand you choose (I started with Winchester, then couldn't get anymore, so hence the Remington). The Remington brass I like as the primer pocket shoulders are slightly chamfered allowing for easier seating of the primers. I have over 160 Privi cases and haven't had any issues with the necks on these.

I love lee dies. I FL size then just before loading them I neck size with the collet dies. Collet does are excellent and they ensure concentric ammo. I have started to anneal just to try and ensure neck tension is consistant. What bullets and powder you planning on using?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbaronfish View Post
    That's grate thanks.

What cases are you using,how many time do they get reused and do you anneal them at all.

BBF
    I have never annealed them i have used the same cases for over ten loads???? the brass is ppu cheap and cheerful and does the job

vasbyt.skollie is offline The impossible I can do, Miracles take time..
    I use a lee press, redding dies and Lapua brass.
    I also use a targetmaster powder trickler for accurate hand weighed charges every time.

Vasbyt
    Gas operative extraordinaire

What are you using for muntjac as the 223 will be used for them as well as fox.

BBF

Get yourself a Redding Deluxe Die Set, its all you will ever need.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by dannywayoflife View Post
    I love lee dies. I FL size then just before loading them I neck size with the collet dies. Collet does are excellent and they ensure concentric ammo. I have started to anneal just to try and ensure neck tension is consistant. What bullets and powder you planning on using?
    I have several Lee dies modified dan (to decap and to FL resize without touching the necks) but when properly used and looked after they are perfectly good dies, even for some of the precision loading jobs.

Dave at the shooting shed was doing some good deals on the RGD sets (really good deal) I nearly bought a set just for collecting purposes.

What I would also say from personal experience is if the OP does not have a comparator and OAL gauge, then spend the small extra amount and get them from the shooting shed, with a decent Mittutoyo vernier.

It was only when I went down this route I started measuring with any real accuracy which is everything if you want consistent ammo.

Not convinced totally on bench annealing (I do it myself) without a machine as the process needs to be strictly controlled in terms of heat and application otherwise the consistency of neck tension is no better (if not worse) than tired brass, but its not impossible.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Comparator tool.Which one from the shed as i dont want to get anything im not going to use

BBF

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbaronfish View Post
    Comparator tool.Which one from the shed as i dont want to get anything im not going to use

BBF
    Just to suit the .223. I just use the bullet end of a Shed one as the jaws on my verniers (Including the Mitu's) aren't exactly parallel so the case bottom end of the Shed comparator doesn't slide smoothly into the top half, just clips the edge of the hole. Davids comparators have fine machine tolerances..... ok there is a grub screw for fine adjustment but I find it good enough without the bottom bit providing you can level off the base of the cartridge on the bottom jaw. I did use a Stoney Point comparator but the Shed unit is head and shoulder above that...... beware - the measuements will be different between the two makes.

If you ask him nicely he might just do a top half, but then you might have to wait for it and it will be quicker to buy a pair if they're already in stock.

Mitutoyo's are very nice verniers and plenty on fleabay but I used a "cheap" digital one originally bought from Netto's for £6 for years...which turn out to be as accurate as the Mitu's. The trick is to use the same vernier for everything from measuring your chamber to checking the seating depth to ensure consistency of measurement across your components.

Apart from using an RCBS single stage press I'm with Vasbyt on the Redding dies (3 die set) but I did start with Lee through RCBS through Hornady and have a set of Wilsons. Lapua brass, a Targetmaster trickler combined with a set of tuned RCBS 5-10 scales (bought from Allan aka 1066 on here). I've been using the Targetmaster and the 5-10's since last summer - actually work out cheaper than the digital scales/trickler units and more accurate, my Pact (RCBS) set has sat in the cupboard since.

Annealing is a piece of percy really.. I just use one of those syringe action claw pick up tool thingies and a blowtorch. Plenty of posts on here on how it's done.

Cheers

Fizz
    http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com...... you know it makes sense!

Lee Deluxe rifle dies can't be beaten for value for money, I used for years with zero problems.
    Brass-wise Lapua is the best but also the most expensive. I've used a mixture over the years with a lot being re-used many times without issue. Just make sure that if you pick up pre-shot brass that there aren't any suspicious bulges either around the bottom belt or primer pocket.