Thread: Easyjet refuse Airrifle shooters for not having license...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Easyjet refuse Airrifle shooters for not having license...

3 EFTA Team England shooters including current World Champion refused travel from London Standsted to Bilbao yesterday because they did not have licenses for their rifles which you cannot get licenses for because they don't need one.
    These are target shooters representing England in an internationally recognised event.
    What has changed, 5 trips with same people, airline and same destination for the past 5 years with no problems.
    Will it be #noteasyjet or #easyjet for the future?

Anyone have Basc and the gta's phone numbers?

That's bad news Rob, maybe ferry and drive the way air travel is going?

Quote Originally Posted by rogb View Post
    That's bad news Rob, maybe ferry and drive the way air travel is going?
    We did it for Germany. But for further afield flying is the only option. Just can't believe they are now insisting on paperwork that doesn't exist.

Get a residence address in NI, get a FAC there, never take your rifle there, but you now have a piece of paper to satisfy these idiots. Yes I know it costs, but so does not being able to travel and take part after all.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Get a residence address in NI, get a FAC there, never take your rifle there, but you now have a piece of paper to satisfy these idiots. Yes I know it costs, but so does not being able to travel and take part after all.

Sorry I totally disagree with this.. they don't require a license I would complain until the idiot loses his job ... why should we jump though more even non existent hoops than we are already facing because of other peoples ignorance of the law

spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Maxiboy Wales View Post
    Sorry I totally disagree with this.. they don't require a license I would complain until the idiot loses his job ... why should we jump though more even non existent hoops than we are already facing because of other peoples ignorance of the law
    This is a problem caused by someone not taking or being given proper guidance from their managers. the hoops i had to jump throughb this morn at the post office sendind a co2 pistol rmsd. I`m reaqly getting pi***d off with all this crap. atb., Paul

Whoever organised the trip obviously failed to organise carriage of the gun's was it the airline that refused or baggage/security/customs ?

Maxi, I battled long and hard with the Home Office and a certain Mr Brokenshire at the time the worlds were going to be held in Poland, about 6 or so years ago, and I am sorry to say there are idiots queuing up to take the place of idiots, the only basic requirement being a total ignorance of the law. Now, if we could have a EFP - and the idea of the EFP was to unify rules on travelling with guns within the EC - all this problem would be solved. But we can't have EFPs because we don't need FACs, and we can't have FACs for sub 12 fpe rifles because it would create such a demand the Home Office and the police could not cope, we are told.

There are only a couple of hundred or so top flight FT shooters in the whole country, and only a fraction of them are keen to travel to overseas events, so the excuse HMG gives is totally hollow.

I would prefer not to use the NI route I suggested but it would be a practical solution. Sometimes we have to take the pragmatic line when "right" and "logic" are persistently ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    3 EFTA Team England shooters including current World Champion refused travel from London Standsted to Bilbao yesterday because they did not have licenses for their rifles which you cannot get licenses for because they don't need one.
    These are target shooters representing England in an internationally recognised event.
    What has changed, 5 trips with same people, airline and same destination for the past 5 years with no problems.
    Will it be #noteasyjet or #easyjet for the future?

Anyone have Basc and the gta's phone numbers?
    Approach the manufacturer and ask them to do a letter to the effect that the rifle they have made serial number abc123.... is a sub 12FPE air rifle and does not require a fire arms certificate.

Also speak to the HO of easy jet or whatever airline it is and ask to speak to their compliance officer re the transportation of sporting goods on their airline. Get it in writing and instruct any staff members that any queries have been dealt with and that you as a passenger are god to go. Any argument re this they need to speak to Mr X - compliance officer fro Ryan/Easyjet etc.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Quote Originally Posted by Steyr View Post
    Approach the manufacturer and ask them to do a letter to the effect that the rifle they have made serial number abc123.... is a sub 12FPE air rifle and does not require a fire arms certificate.

Also speak to the HO of easy jet or whatever airline it is and ask to speak to their compliance officer re the transportation of sporting goods on their airline. Get it in writing and instruct any staff members that any queries have been dealt with and that you as a passenger are god to go. Any argument re this they need to speak to Mr X - compliance officer fro Ryan/Easyjet etc.
    No1 we have done as routine. They did not accept it.

No2 they don't have to be compliant in anything but the law. Terms and conditions are their choice as long as they fit in with fairness and the regulations.

It improves your chances especially if a senior compliance officer has stated it in writing. No its not a guarantee but if a senior officer within the airline has said yes - this is acceptable then there is less likelihood of an arsehole lower down copping the big "I AM" attitude.
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    No1 we have done as routine. They did not accept it.

No2 they don't have to be compliant in anything but the law. Terms and conditions are their choice as long as they fit in with fairness and the regulations.
    But...Rob

Have they done it before or have they never done it? If they used to then precedence, if not why not?

Secondly, again, its discrimination.

Personally I would approach a pro shooting or sporting journo, see if a bit of anti airline publicity would help?

Only last night the BBC ran an article on a Scottish lass shooting in the commonwealth games. If she was going abroad....

You might even turn it on its head as positive press for the airline carrying the team.....few badges etc....just a thought.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Quote Originally Posted by Parabuteo View Post
    But...Rob

Have they done it before or have they never done it? If they used to then precedence, if not why not?

Secondly, again, its discrimination.

Personally I would approach a pro shooting or sporting journo, see if a bit of anti airline publicity would help?

Only last night the BBC ran an article on a Scottish lass shooting in the commonwealth games. If she was going abroad....

You might even turn it on its head as positive press for the airline carrying the team.....few badges etc....just a thought.
    They have done it before, the if not why not now is a question I've asked for comment back for publication.

As many have said, this is an opportunity to turn a disappointing situation around into good press. So we are hoping that a common sense approach will see its way through. There's nothing to suggest anti shooting since they will carry fac stuff. It's just we have fallen through a gap in the system it would seem.

Compliance is not about observing the law; if the company has a quality system with written processes and procedures, and most have, compliance is about complying with those documents. The relevance here is whether the underlings were complying with policy and procedures, and any non-compliance could be worth a bad tick at audit time. The compliance officer would like to know about these incidents in advance as surprises at audit time are generally not welcome.