Thread: Walther/IWI .22lr uzi rifle

Walther/IWI .22lr uzi rifle

Hi,
    Bought a .22lr uzi last Saturday for a " fun gun " to take to the range. Due to work etc. only managed to try it out yesterday.

First off it looks alot lighter than it actually was - feels solid and well balanced which it should as it is mostly made from steel and aluminium, the only plastic bits are the mag / grips and a bolt cover. It comes with " battle sights " a straight post front and a peep hole rear which you can flip over to give you 25 yrd and 50 yrd settings, the rear is windage adjustable and the front elevation adjustable, both are protected by steel ears, very easy to use and good enough for blasting targets ! I may fabricate a mount for a red dot sight later.

The folding stock is good and solid when extended and easy to fold up or extend, I did at first have reservations about the stock sides ( flat steel bars ) digging into my cheek, no problem just didn't happen.

It has two saftey catches, one on the frame above the pistol grip and one built into the grip itself - both work ! The magazine fits into the pistol grip and holds 20 rounds. It is easy to load as it has a side slide button which allows you to more or less drop the rounds in, at first it looked as though they were all sorts of angles sat in the mag. just give the mag. a couple of sharp taps with your hand on the bottom and they sort themselves out ( just make sure the top round hasn't slid forward !
    The trigger is reasonable and breaks nicley, not very much back travel or slack, not the best or worst Ive used.

VERY easy to strip and clean took about 2min. when I got back from shooting it and no tools to do it, including the trigger group along with the pistol grip. If you remove the stock and a plastic end cap there is a guide tube for a cleaning rod _ Don't bother use a pull through. When you remove the FALSE ( why not a real one for the UK market ? ) moderator from the barrel it reveals a steel barrel shroud which just slips off and the thinnest barrel I've seen, thought this might cause problems when it got hot, but the false mod. helps take the heat away and support the barrel as well.

The front grip is removable to access a weaver rail if you want to fit accessories - but then where do you hold it ?

What can I say except WOW ! straight out of the box, load twenty, fire ( rapid ! ) at 25 yrds , all on or around the 3" target none outside the A4 backing paper, move back to 50 yrds flip sight over - same again, from a standing position!
    Absolutely great fun, shot very well both fast fire and timed shots.

It says .22lr HV in the booklet - don't beleve it ! I shot 100 Blaser, 100 CCI segmented HP subs, 100 win. HP subs, 100 RWS HV Field line, and 100 Eley Match through it in 45 min. it ate them ALL !!! And I could keep them on target from start to finish ! No problem with the ultra skinny barrel or stock digging in me face ! Had two rounds only half eject and jam the bolt no big deal cycle the bolt and on you go.
    Fold stock in, shoot from hip - 12 fizzy water bottles exploding later YEA HA oh what fun !

GOT TO GET MORE MAGS !!

Bad bit's - you got to have some :- paint finish on metal parts is s**t already rubbing off in places. When operating as fast as you can some times the last round bolt hold open didn't work, no prob's with paced shots. Let my hand relax to much a couple of times which puts the grip safety on my fault really not the guns.
    And thats it, for a fun gun it is perfect for me !
    Hope this was not to long,
    I'm off to stock up on ammo this week, got a feeling I'm going to need it!
    All the best,
    Mick.

sounds like a lot of fun, thanks for reviewing

Hi bud, I'll be taking it to Bisley this comming weekend, see if I can get some more controlled shooting in and see how tight I can get the groups at 25 + 50 yrds, will post how it gets on - although spray and pray comes to mind ,
    Cheers,
    Mick.

I think if you turn up at one of the phoenix competitions you might get some funny looks. would be interesting to see some photos if possible.