Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading set up costs

Reloading set up costs

Evening all, have searched this but it crashed my iPad (old and tired) twice, so apologies as I'm sure it's been asked before.

My shooting habits are changing in that up to now I have only shot FAC air / rimfire however I am planning on joining a club plus I have gained a couple of new permissions so will be putting in a variation shortly for:

6.5x55 Swedish for target plus hopefully roe at a later date. (have a mentor just need a piece of ground cleared for the calibre)
    .223 for fox & small deer (gained munty permission last week )
    .17 hornet or similar to replace HMR & WMR (Possibly) for ground game as that will remain my main quarry.

Have spoken to my RFD and he has said straight away go for the best and get competition dies and that a setup for the 6.5 x 55 (or similar) is going to be the thick end of 500 notes, must admit this was a bit more than I was expecting so thought I'd ask on here.....
    Thanks for looking

Quote Originally Posted by Boydy47 View Post
    Evening all, have searched this but it crashed my iPad (old and tired) twice, so apologies as I'm sure it's been asked before.

My shooting habits are changing in that up to now I have only shot FAC air / rimfire however I am planning on joining a club plus I have gained a couple of new permissions so will be putting in a variation shortly for:

6.5x55 Swedish for target plus hopefully roe at a later date. (have a mentor just need a piece of ground cleared for the calibre)
    .223 for fox & small deer (gained munty permission last week )
    .17 hornet or similar to replace HMR & WMR (Possibly) for ground game as that will remain my main quarry.

Have spoken to my RFD and he has said straight away go for the best and get competition dies and that a setup for the 6.5 x 55 (or similar) is going to be the thick end of 500 notes, must admit this was a bit more than I was expecting so thought I'd ask on here.....
    He would say that wouldn't he to get a sale?? what about a lee anniversary loading kit around £100 just add a better set of scales-- IE---lyman around £60 and a set of lee dies around £30 or less and you could pick up some second hand gear for even less

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post
    He would say that wouldn't he to get a sale?? what about a lee anniversary loading kit around £100 just add a better set of scales-- IE---lyman around £60 and a set of lee dies around £30 or less and you could pick up some second hand gear for even less
    If you spent £200.00 I'd be amazed - for one calibre, that is.

You'll need -

1. Press - Lee.

2. Dies - Lee.

3. Powder measure/scales - Lee.

4. Lee trimmer kit.

5. Bullets, powder, primers.

6. Cases.

7. Reloading book - Lyman 49 Ed th?

Heck, most of the stuff you need can be found 2nd hand - the most expensive items after the press are the bullets and powder. They are always going to be expensive, especially if you intend to hunt with them. Your quarry deserves the best you can afford.

Many here started off with second-hand - good stuff happens on the sales pages here if you look. Buying new? My RCBS stuff was a Christmas raffle prize in the Wiesbaden R&GC, so the starter Rockchucker set-up was free, but it's still a great choice even if you have to pay for it - thirty-six years later I'm still using it.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by ZAKDINGEL View Post

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    If you spent £200.00 I'd be amazed - for one calibre, that is.

You'll need -

1. Press - Lee.

2. Dies - Lee.

3. Powder measure/scales - Lee.

4. Lee trimmer kit.

5. Bullets, powder, primers.

6. Cases.

7. Reloading book - Lyman 49 Ed th?

Heck, most of the stuff you need can be found 2nd hand - the most expensive items after the press are the bullets and powder. They are always going to be expensive, especially if you intend to hunt with them. Your quarry deserves the best you can afford.

Many here started off with second-hand - good stuff happens on the sales pages here if you look. Buying new? My RCBS stuff was a Christmas raffle prize in the Wiesbaden R&GC, so the starter Rockchucker set-up was free, but it's still a great choice even if you have to pay for it - thirty-six years later I'm still using it.

tac

Thanks guys, I think when I spoke to Dannywayoflife he was saying a up to a couple of hundred which is why I was shocked when the RFD said more. He's sound but I had guessed his salesman side had kicked in!

So I'm guessing for each additional calibe I'll need an additional set of dies, is that it? I'm quite happy with secondhand gear and have been keeping half an eye on here should something local come up.
    Thanks for looking

Yes, the Lee stuff will do the job but if you even half get into the reloading game you will eventually upgrade to better gear. £4-500 will get you a Decent reloading start-up kit, that you won't need to upgrade for donkey's years. Why buy a Bentley when a smart car will also do the same job???
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Yes, the Lee stuff will do the job but if you even half get into the reloading game you will eventually upgrade to better gear. £4-500 will get you a Decent reloading start-up kit, that you won't need to upgrade for donkey's years. Why buy a Bentley when a smart car will also do the same job???
    Hmmmm I hear what you're saying but unfortunately we are on a reasonably tight household budget at least until the loft conversion is paid for, otherwise I'd be buying the SH R93 6.5 x 55 at my other local RFD for £3.5K rather than a Tikka......
    Thanks for looking

can i ask if you would be able to have just 2 guns to load for instead of three, (like .260 for target, deer, fox) 17rem or .17fireball for ground game and fox as well?
    i dont do target so have no understanding of what calibre is required or what ranges youll be shooting too...

atb
    tony
    anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new.

Thanks guys, I think when I spoke to Dannywayoflife he was saying a up to a couple of hundred which is why I was shocked when the RFD said more. He's sound but I had guessed his salesman side had kicked in!

So I'm guessing for each additional calibe I'll need an additional set of dies, is that it? I'm quite happy with secondhand gear and have been keeping half an eye on here should something local come up.
    Dies and the VERY useful Lee case trimmer are all you need. Right now, with the smaller calibres you've selected, you'll only need small rifle primers, too. 6.5x55SE uses large rifle primers of o'course, as does the .260.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 16-07-2014 at 10:34 PM.

If your going to reload .17, I'm not sure the lee case trimmer works. I can confirm next week.You probably need a .17 case neck brush. Digital caliber too.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

Quote Originally Posted by stillair1 View Post
    If your going to reload .17, I'm not sure the lee case trimmer works. I can confirm next week.You probably need a .17 case neck brush. Digital caliber too.
    Hmmm, not certain sure that Lee actually make a .17 Hornet trimmer yet - although no doubt they will.

Opinions about case lube are as many as there are shooters, but for the last million years I've been using Imperial Sizing Wax. One little tin seems to last forever - I bought the one I'm using now in 2000 and I prolly reload 500-600 rifle cartridges per year.

I bought my electronic calipers from Harbor Freight for about $30 a while back. The instructions WERE in Swedish, but hey, how difficult can it be, driving a set of calipers?

tac

Seeing that the LEE gear afficianodos are the first out of the starting blocks, i am going to say buy once buy right, that does not apply to LEE equipment.

TB.

Quote Originally Posted by tony h View Post
    can i ask if you would be able to have just 2 guns to load for instead of three, (like .260 for target, deer, fox) 17rem or .17fireball for ground game and fox as well?
    i dont do target so have no understanding of what calibre is required or what ranges youll be shooting too...

atb
    tony
    Hi Tony, at the moment it comes down to land clearance and quarry.

Initially when my Cousin's husband offered to mentor me in stalking he suggested joining a club which to be honest I had been thinking about for a while so contacted Dannywayoflife on here about the BBS club, which I intend to join (if they'll have me ). My plan was simply initially to go .243 and apply for target and deer, having spoken to Danny though the factory barrels on .243 rifles don't lend themselves for heavy target ammo.

Thoughts then moved on to .308 which would be overkill for the smaller deer but a starting point and a calibre suitable for both quarry and heavy bullets. My RFD suggested the 6.5 x 55 as a good 'bridge' calibre, as only slightly more muzzle energy than the .243 but also good for target work out to 1000 yards. Having spoken to another couple of people everyone seems in agreement.......

The issue I have though is that currently all of my land is only cleared for .22RF, 1500 acres over 5 permissions ranging from 12 to 1200 acres and fox permission on all bar one, last week on one of the smaller permissions I was asked to control the Muntjac as they are starting to cause damage. I am hoping to get clearance on at least one of the permissions for .223 for small deer and fox so that I have good reason. I need to have a good chat with my FEO to see his thoughts, though I gained a 40 acre permission last week that is basically in the side of a hill so I am hopeful. The owner of the muntjac permission has given me permission to control all deer but it will be too small to get a deer calibre on.

So, If i was to go for 2 calibres it would be the 6.5 x 55 & the .223 and to be honest that is likely what I'll do initially, the 6.5x 55 & .17 combination would be okay if i could get a current permission cleared for the 6.5 x 55 but I am guessing (hoping, maybe in error) that clearance for .223 will be more likely.

The .17 CF was mainly as I have read a few places that it is a good replacement for HMR if you reload so I figured if I am going to spend time sat there checking rimfire rounds for split necks (my first ever shot on a rabbit with my HMR resulted in a bullet lodging in the barrel, not a good night) I may as well reload and get the benefits that brings.

Thanks again for all the replies
    Thanks for looking

Initially when my Cousin's husband offered to mentor me in stalking he suggested joining a club which to be honest I had been thinking about for a while so contacted Dannywayoflife on here about the BBS club, which I intend to join (if they'll have me ). My plan was simply initially to go .243 and apply for target and deer, having spoken to Danny though the factory barrels on .243 rifles don't lend themselves for heavy target ammo.

Thoughts then moved on to .308 which would be overkill for the smaller deer but a starting point and a calibre suitable for both quarry and heavy bullets. My RFD suggested the 6.5 x 55 as a good 'bridge' calibre, as only slightly more muzzle energy than the .243 but also good for target work out to 1000 yards. Having spoken to another couple of people everyone seems in agreement.......

The issue I have though is that currently all of my land is only cleared for .22RF, 1500 acres over 5 permissions ranging from 12 to 1200 acres and fox permission on all bar one, last week on one of the smaller permissions I was asked to control the Muntjac as they are starting to cause damage. I am hoping to get clearance on at least one of the permissions for .223 for small deer and fox so that I have good reason. I need to have a good chat with my FEO to see his thoughts, though I gained a 40 acre permission last week that is basically in the side of a hill so I am hopeful. The owner of the muntjac permission has given me permission to control all deer but it will be too small to get a deer calibre on.

So, If i was to go for 2 calibres it would be the 6.5 x 55 & the .223 and to be honest that is likely what I'll do initially, the 6.5x 55 & .17 combination would be okay if i could get a current permission cleared for the 6.5 x 55 but I am guessing (hoping, maybe in error) that clearance for .223 will be more likely.

The .17 CF was mainly as I have read a few places that it is a good replacement for HMR if you reload so I figured if I am going to spend time sat there checking rimfire rounds for split necks (my first ever shot on a rabbit with my HMR resulted in a bullet lodging in the barrel, not a good night) I may as well reload and get the benefits that brings.

that all sounds well thought out, just check out the .260 though and compare to the swedish. look on wiki.
    Also this might help, put up a high seat on the small permission for the deer, that way you should have know worries with back stops,there is no better back stop than straight into the ground..

atb
    tony
    anyone who has never made a mistake, has never tried anything new.

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...

He would.....Tight git!!!!!

The most important thing is being able to load consistently, so I would get a decent Mitutoyo caliper and comparators (Shooting shed, accept no imitations) and some half decent scales.

You can do well with Lee kit, but unless you can measure accurately (or more importantly confirm that your processes are consistent) you can do what you like, you will never fault find properly.

I struggled on for years with a cheap caliper, I only realised how bad it was when it finally died. It is something you will use a lot.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

nothing wrong with the 6.5x55, and likely to be easier to feed as you say, Bomag has a bit of experience with long range .243AI for target might be worth a PM, .308 is not overkill for small deer, and with the right bullet will do a surprisingly good job with little meat damage compared to some of the higher speed smaller calibres. The .223 is an ideal fox round and by all accounts with the right bullet will do the business on small deer for less powder then the .243 or 6.5x55.
    don't worry too much about buying Lee stuff, it will load accurate ammo and thats all you need at the moment, if you later decide to go more up-market then you can always sell on the Lee, and it will cost you a hell of a lot less than some of the other brands (at this point you don't even know if you will continue reloading) somethings are worth getting , such as a balance scale, the Lee will work but is fiddly see what you can pick up second hand, the Lee length cutters are calibre specific and for .223,.243,.308,6.5x55 et al will be more than adequate, no need to break the bank at this stage, calipers can be bought very cheaply now, although there are always people who will advise you spend £200, although how many of them also spend on recalibration I don't know if you really want to just dip your feet then I would get a Lee hand press, they are awesome little devices and will be of use for years to come, I know some very finnicky reloaders who use them on the range to fine tune their rounds (you can use almost any make of die in them) none of the calibres you are looking at would cause a problem even full length resizing is easily done with them!
    PS we take anyone in the BBS, you only have to look at the membership to see what I mean !
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby