Thread: Bam 40

Bam 40

Just got a used one of these and quite impressed for a rifle costing £100. Anyone done any recommended improvements on these and do TX200 parts fit ?

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Not got hold of one, but I have heard TX bits do fit... be interesting to know about the quality of the barrel & accuracy

who sell them

Hi there
    Do anyone know who sell them. I had read they only come in .22 ?
    Atb
    cheers, Mike

Yes, this one is also .22. Stripped and lubed it, very easy to work on and has nice smooth sound on firing. Will take it to the range on Friday and do chrono and accuracy test and report back. Think they are sold by Solware for about £190 new.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

The BAM40 is no longer made. It was replaced by the 41. This is a cut down version instigated originally by Crosman to wear the Benjamin MAV77 badge, but never happened. The trigger is now a HW type, but a sealed unit. The cocking lever retainer is now a screw on plastic affair. It no longer has the shroud. SMK sold the 41 for a short while but deleted it from their catalogue fairly quickly due to poor quality.
    Bought a 41 couple of weeks a go as a challenge for a very good price, knowing it would need a lot of work. The most surprising thing was, it didn't. It's accurate, full powered, reasonably quiet report, no twang what so ever. In fact it's one of the nicest new airguns I've owned in a long while

The B40 is a very good rifle ,they did have alot of side to side play in the cocking leaver but this is not difficult to rectify. I know that the TX piston and trigger unit will fit, i think it was to close a copy of the TX and this is why its no longer for sale in the UK.The B41 is no way as good , the finish is not as good its very rough to cock. The 41 is fitted with the same trigger unit as the later XS20 model this is not the HW copy as fitted to the early XS20s, but a new unit that is one of the worst triggers fitted to any air gun or even a toy cap gun.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

I seem to have got the one that is the exception to the rule Lyn. Mine is smooth to cock. There is no grating or scraping at all. It's a pity some of the mighty Weihrauch's weren't this good when new. You only hear the swishing of the piston going backwards plus the clicking of bear trap and sear engagement. There is also zero sideways movement in the cocking arm.
    I stripped it down after half a tin of pellets. There were no rubbing marks anywhere. One end of the spring had been cut mid coil, but luckily the jagged end pointed towards the coils and not the guide. This was collapsed and ground flat. The other end was good to start with. It needed doing any way as it was over powered. Even the slots were finished well, with no sharp edges or burrs.
    I agree with the trigger and this did take trial and error to get adjusted.
    Unfortunately I was no better than the other knockers of this model. I accepted what I read as gospel. By taking the risk and buying one eventually, I actually ended up with something that is nice to shoot, smooth in operation, accurate and bang on the power level. Externally it is finished well with smooth steel and good blueing. The only real bad point IMO is the plastic cocking lever retainer/release button. But I can live with that.
    I know it's never going to be a TX, but it wasn't the best part of 500 quid neither. So credit where credit is due.
    People slag off the comics for biased reviews saying how wonderful everything they test is, when we know they're not. At times maybe we shouldn't believe everything we read on forums telling us how rubbish things are.

Hi gents
    Thanks for your input. Will keep me eyes out for one. As some says if it is good it could be very good or it's bad it could be very bad but I would settle for some where in between.
    cheers, Mike

Why should AA do all the R&D, set up the tooling, and produce one of the best springers of all time, only to be ripped off by some cheap Chinese copy? the same thing happened to HW.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

I absolutely agree. But on the other hand, the sliding breach used on TX's and HW77 & 99's came from the Chinese Arrow type underleavers in the first place. At least with the 41 only some of the parts are copies. Much as AA took the design cue from the Chinese in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnlandies View Post
    I absolutely agree. But on the other hand, the sliding breach used on TX's and HW77 & 99's came from the Chinese Arrow type underleavers in the first place. At least with the 41 only some of the parts are copies. Much as AA took the design cue from the Chinese in the first place
    100 % on that, I bought My Bam 40 from you Venoman, and its a cracker, especially in its LP Custum stock and Bushnell scope. Agree allso the 41 is in many ways not has good in quallity or I would have had one in .177 by now. Has to the comment that the chianese ripped of Air Arms, didnt Air Arms base much of the TX on the market leader of the time the HW77. I dont see that has an insult myself, has each succesful rifle / car/ product, is simply an improvement/ refinement on the previous best. All underleavers after all have Lincoln- Jeffries/ Bsa somewhere in the pedagrie and long may it continue. The present best underleaver in my humble oppinion is the Walther LGU and thats an amalgum of TX and HW97 has to styling, i allready have the equally excellent Walther LGV , break barell, and the excellent HW97KT and can see another Walther joining soon, the new Terrius break barell.