Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: small pistol primers

small pistol primers

Hi all, anyone know where I can get some small pistol primers in the shropshire area ish? Want to try them in my hornet.

Cheers
    Ben
    Brno 22 hornet - CZ 455 Thumbhole 16" 17 Hmr - Baikal Sxs 12 gauge - Air Arms s410

Just to let you no mate, you should be using small rifle primers in that. That's what says in my Lee book says

small pistol primers

Hi Ben. where are you in telford i have small pistol primers made by CCI, S&B and Remington i used them all the time in my Hornet. Will drop you a few of each to try if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Not good.

Why do you thing that the manufacturers and loading manuals differentiate between them?

More to the point, are you taking the p!ss?

tac
    Lots of people use small pistol primers in the .22 hornet, both here and in the USA.

Rick.
    CZ 452 .22 Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
    Zabala 12 bore.

Quote Originally Posted by polski View Post
    Lots of people use small pistol primers in the .22 hornet, both here and in the USA.

Rick.
    Shrug.

I wouldn't, preferring to use items that are designed to explode for reloading in the cartridges for which they were designed.

You and the OP can do what you like.

tac

Speer use small pistol primers in some of their reloading data,

http://www.speer-bullets.com/pdf/Rel...A/22h33tnt.pdf

Rick.
    CZ 452 .22 Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .223
    Zabala 12 bore.

The cups of pistol primers are made of thinner gauge material then rifle primers, so that they ignite when hit by the low inertia hammer from a revolver or firing pin in a semi auto.
    Using them in a bolt action could cause primer piercing from the much higher inertia of a rifle firing pin.
    Why take the risk?

TB.

DaveK is offline Has been known to tickle spider crabs
    Shrug.

I wouldn't, preferring to use items that are designed to explode for reloading in the cartridges for which they were designed.

You and the OP can do what you like.

tac
    Quote Originally Posted by polski View Post

Rick.
    I use small pistol primers in my hornet and I'm still alive. There's whole heaps of people load below minimum and above maximum manufacturers recommendations to no ill effect with all sorts of calibres, not just Hornet. Predominantly because they know what they're doing.

Hornet-wise rifle or pistol primers don't make any difference and with the right powders you could pretty much fill the case without measuring and still shoot well with it. But I'd only advocate this with a hornet and NO other centrefire calibre.

Have you actually got a Hornet, Tac? If you have then you should know.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    I use small pistol primers in my hornet and I'm still alive. There's whole heaps of people load below minimum and above maximum manufacturers recommendations to no ill effect with all sorts of calibres, not just Hornet. Predominantly because they know what they're doing.

Hornet-wise rifle or pistol primers don't make any difference and with the right powders you could pretty much fill the case without measuring and still shoot well with it. But I'd only advocate this with a hornet and NO other centrefire calibre.

Have you actually got a Hornet, Tac? If you have then you should know.
    No, I don't have a Hornet of any kind, but I DO reload for eight other centre-fire cartridges here in UK, and at one time for seventeen different ones, so I'm not exactly a noob to reloading, having started in 1965.

Please don't feel that you need to patronise me. It really isn't necessary.

Thanks.

tac

It also say to use small rifle primers on Hodgdon site. If you got load off another site that says use small pistol would stick to that don't mix and match, the rifle primer will have some more of the initiator in the primer

Remington 6.5's are recommended for pistol and Hornet.

Posted on a thread on 20Tac or Ruger 204's somewhere on here or UKV in the last week. (For which they're definitely not recommended)

Cheers

Fizz

Found it......
    http://ukvarminting.com/forums/topic...lesson-learnt/

Post 14 by Oaken: Spot on. The 61/2 is for hornet and handgun only, don't let unscrupulous dealers tell you they should be OK in anything else!
    71/2 for anything generating more pressure than the hornet.
    Last edited by fizzbangwhallop; 19-07-2014 at 03:07 PM.
    http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com...... you know it makes sense!

No, I don't have a Hornet of any kind, but I DO reload for eight other centre-fire cartridges here in UK, and at one time for seventeen different ones, so I'm not exactly a noob to reloading, having started in 1965.

Thanks.

tac
    BUT, you haven't reloaded for Hornet. It was a shock to my system when I started for that one after a lot of years loading for other centrefire rifles and pistols. Try it sometime, you may think differently.

Patronise? I certainly wasn't setting out to do that but if that's the way you feel then so be it. May I remind you that you did accuse someone of taking the piss so you opened it up. And don't try pulling the "he's disagreed with me so I'm offended" stunt It's a discussion forum.

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”

Thanks.

tac
    You are the one doing the patronising Tac.

Shit-stirring at this point.

If you don't reload for the hornet, don't feel the need to comment.
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    You are the one doing the patronising Tac.

Shit-stirring at this point.

If you don't reload for the hornet, don't feel the need to comment.
    YUP.

As we all know Amir. Opinions are like A55holes. Everybody's got one and maybe the esteemed member ought to use his book to wipe his.