Thread: It's been a while, how have things moved on?

It's been a while, how have things moved on?

It's been a good couple of years since I've shot regularly, but I've just got back into it (to the dismay of the local rabbit population).

At the moment I'm running a Mk2 S410 in .177, with a Ginb stock, Weihrauch silencer, fettled trigger, and Bushnell Legend sat on top. It's lovely and shoots straight as an arrow, but isn't without its drawbacks. I'm out of date on what is around on the market these days, so I thought I'd test the water as to whether this is still one of the best, or if things have changed.

What would I like?
    Something a bit less delicate than the 410 (those who have ever knocked the barrel will know what I mean!)
    Quiet. Silence. Stealthy!
    Lighter than the S410 (I realise the stock isn't the lightest, but neither is the action to start with)
    Magazine
    Either regged, or with very good shot consistency (not got a reg on mine, but from 150 to 90 PSI it's pellet on pellet).

So, have things moved on, or does the market just have more of the same these days?

Cheers!

I've clearly not picked an interesting topic :P.

A bit of research has pointed me at a few likely candidates for the above...

FX Bobcat
    Kalibr Cricket (but put off by the import issues at the moment)
    Daystate Wolverine (but damn heavy!)
    HW100 (but running hot is a worry for me)
    S510 (but does the shroud addition make it any less delicate for keeping zero?)

Hi,
    410 still hold their own.
    HW100 is more robust and will take a knock or two at the expense of being heavy.

Daystate huntsman or mk3 or mk4 would be worth a look. A friend who knows his rifles was very impressed with his mk4 non screen version.

Si
    The OAKS
    SIHFT WINNERS 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016

Huntsman

I would look at the Huntsman. Prices are good at the moment until folk realize the new Regal is not really an improvement at all and you might as well have stuck to your huntsman.
    Not looked at them all but IMHO most PCPs are a tad delicate.
    NOW IF YOU TRIED A SPRINGER.---- Different story altogether.
    I would say what you have is excellent choice.
    When I die don't let my wife sell my guns for what she thinks I gave for them!!!

Exactly the same as me mate , I got back in the game a few months ago and couldn't believe how things have moved on (in terms of rifles for sale) I used to run a rapid 17 with a mtc viper 4-16 , this set up was heavy and long and rested shots were a must " laziness on my part had some to do with it too". The rifle was a tack driver though and I was sad to let her go..
    Anyhow I recently decided to get back into my hunting and treated myself to a bobcat in .177 and as I loved my viper so much I bought exactly the same scope to complement the fx, if your considering the bobcat I would suggest getting one I love everything about the rifle so far and it's handling is so good that after a bit of practice I'm confident in shooting offhand again, accuracy is also spot on so I'm glad that a complete risk / impulse buy payed off.
    I hope you find what your looking for mate atb...

Thanks for the replies guys.

On the Huntsman (couldn't say which version) I've heard differing reports on them, so I'm not overly confident. Whilst I know that issues would be sorted out under warranty, I don't want to buy something that might spend the first few months in the post.

I've used a Mk3 in the past, never a Mk4. I have to say that although I loved the Mk3 for HFT when I tried it, I couldn't picture myself lugging it around for a few miles without having very tired arms. Is the weight in the action or the stock? If the latter I guess I could always change the stock...

Nice to hear a positive about the Bobcat. Did you go for a regged or non-regged?

Quote Originally Posted by SmallHolder View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

On the Huntsman (couldn't say which version) I've heard differing reports on them, so I'm not overly confident. Whilst I know that issues would be sorted out under warranty, I don't want to buy something that might spend the first few months in the post.

I've used a Mk3 in the past, never a Mk4. I have to say that although I loved the Mk3 for HFT when I tried it, I couldn't picture myself lugging it around for a few miles without having very tired arms. Is the weight in the action or the stock? If the latter I guess I could always change the stock...

Nice to hear a positive about the Bobcat. Did you go for a regged or non-regged?
    I got the unregulated rifle with a view to purchasing the reg as an extra if needed but as I said I'm more than happy with the performance down range so I would only get if I needed more shots per fill.

Thanks Steve. Apparently the factory is shut for the summer now, so unless somewhere already had stock in then I'd be out of luck anyways!

Already seeing what a custom silencer would set me back to complete the setup .

If you're really looking for a lightweight rifle you could do worse that something from the current Brocock range......They're very light indeed.

Probably viewed as a budget rifle by most and not regulated but I can testify that a Contour is as accurate as any other pcp I've shot for hunting ranges.

Just had a suggestion made to me that I laughed at until I thought about it...

...how about I just keep my stock and swap the action for an S510 action with silencer on it? The only element it doesn't tick from my requirements is the need for a weight reduction, but that wasn't looking promising anyways...

Quote Originally Posted by SmallHolder View Post
    Thanks Steve. Apparently the factory is shut for the summer now, so unless somewhere already had stock in then I'd be out of luck anyways!

Already seeing what a custom silencer would set me back to complete the setup .
    Yeah I spoke to a chap at the airgun centre and he said there was a couple of months before they would get any so found one elsewhere only to receive a phone call same day from airgun centre saying he had sourced me one (gutted, would of liked there guarantee) might be worth a try if you did decide on the bobcat, whatever you choose happy hunting and atb steve