Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: polyurethane for seals

polyurethane for seals

After reading about the limited availability of 25mm seals for the TX , I bought some polyurethane and had a go at making some, not for the TX I grant you , I have made a piston head with an o ring and HW fitment for an idea I have for converting the 97 to 25 mm. Pics below hopefully. It does open up the potential for making walther style seals for the TX

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8b590257.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/...psd5a32f0f.jpg

pm sent

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    A 'soft landing' o-ring seal, good potential there Nick.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    A 'soft landing' o-ring seal, good potential there Nick.

Cheers

John
    bit like this one i ran on an 80 for a while a few years back..

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/920660/IMG_3351.JPG

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/920660/IMG_3353.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    Everytime I think of some thing new , you seem to have already done it !, What did the shot cycle feel like, I am experimenting with a new piston for the TX with this head on. But My TX is shooting so well at the moment I don't want to take it down just yet. Might have to buy another one.

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    Everytime I think of some thing new , you seem to have already done it !, What did the shot cycle feel like, I am experimenting with a new piston for the TX with this head on. But My TX is shooting so well at the moment I don't want to take it down just yet. Might have to buy another one.
    It was awesome, however i was using modified maccari seals and the meat was thin to machine into....that said if i could get that same seal made with 8mm more meat up front and drop an O ring groove into it I would be running them in all my guns.

Regards me doing everything....i only publish around 30% now, way to much gets copied for financial gain by others. I don't mind sharing, its just some look to others to line their own pockets.

A certain well known airgunsmith and designer was using it combined with O rings over 30 years ago. There is even mention of it in the comics of the time I had several rifles so fitted. Very quiet and soft to shoot, even at FAC levels.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    A certain well known airgunsmith and designer was using it combined with O rings over 30 years ago. There is even mention of it in the comics of the time I had several rifles so fitted. Very quiet and soft to shoot, even at FAC levels.
    well JB has done everything way before everyone else according to you James...I think we can leave it there can't we

Issue is he does a few things I would never do

he may be 25years older than me, but i can tell you he is no better than me, and no better than many others...he is your hero but not mine...

lets agree to disagree on JB and please do not comment about my posts again or I will report each and every post for you trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    well JB has done everything way before everyone else according to you James...I think we can leave it there can't we

Issue is he does a few things I would never do

he may be 25years older than me, but i can tell you he is no better than me, and no better than many others...he is your hero but not mine...

lets agree to disagree on JB and please do not comment about my posts again or I will report each and every post for you trolling.

"lets agree to disagree on JB and please do not comment about my posts again or I will report each and every post for you trolling. "

There is no need to issue threats as they usually backfire. I was replying to the original poster. The world does not revolve around your good self as much as you would like to think it does

Quote Originally Posted by NickG View Post
    After reading about the limited availability of 25mm seals for the TX , I bought some polyurethane and had a go at making some, not for the TX I grant you , I have made a piston head with an o ring and HW fitment for an idea I have for converting the 97 to 25 mm. Pics below hopefully. It does open up the potential for making walther style seals for the TX

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8b590257.jpg

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/...psd5a32f0f.jpg
    Nice. What's it like to machine? HSS or carbide? Will be good to hear how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by brucegill View Post
    Nice. What's it like to machine? HSS or carbide? Will be good to hear how you get on.

The best and most accurate method, other than molding, is to grind the material. That is the method I was told was used by the airgunsmith I mentioned in an earlier post.

The best and most accurate method, other than molding, is to grind the material. That is the method I was told was used by the airgunsmith I mentioned in an earlier post.
    Thanks. That would exsplain the vmach seal finish maybe? Doesn't look like a normal tool has been used, more of a sanded finish.

Quote Originally Posted by brucegill View Post
    Thanks. That would exsplain the vmach seal finish maybe? Doesn't look like a normal tool has been used, more of a sanded finish.

Yep. He used a made up tool post grinder with shaped stones mounted on the slide of one of his lathes. I remember it particularly well because he had the lathe running backwards

Yep. He used a made up tool post grinder with shaped stones mounted on the slide of one of his lathes. I remember it particularly well because he had the lathe running backwards
    What on earth is a tool post grinder ! sounds like a complete bodge to me . If you mean he has tried to turn his lathe into an external grinder, then accuracy will go out the window.

I machined my polyurethane using hss, with an oblique cutting angle , similar to what you would use on brass, or phosphor bronze, works reasonably well , but you are never going to get a moulded finish.
    I did not want to start a war with this thread, just wanted to encourage others to have a go with polyurethane. I am interested to sell a few bits here and there, but want them to be my own Ideas, whether they are original or not is questionable, as there isn't much in the engineering world that is original , but if you can take an earlier idea and make it work , surely that's a good thing.

Hi James

From JB's May 1991 article it reads as he cuts the Polyurethane with HSS lathe tools but says you have to experiment with the cutting angle by grinding the tool ?

All the best Mick