Thread: what air pistoll to buy ?

what air pistoll to buy ?

hi i have been shooting air rifles for many years but when it comes to air pistol i haven't got a clue, i am looking to get one for my daughter and i have always
    preferred weihrauchs but for around the same money is there a better air pistol out there
    thanks shaun

I think a lot will depend on what you / she wants to do with it?

Regards

Mark
    Some air, some section 2 and a growing collection of section 1. Boy, this FAC stuff is addictive!

How old / strong is your daughter?

Paper target or can mangling?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

what air pistoll to buy

thanks for the reply my daughter is 7 years old and is quite strong for her age , she have been use to shooting paper targets with my air rifle

The HW40 is a very accurate, lovely shooting pistol, but she'll struggle to prime it. If you're willing to do this for her (after all, she'll be supervised anyway) and if she's okay with the size, I'd look no further.

I've never personally handled the HW70... I must do at some point and will maybe get one. Hopefully some owners will drop in.

The HW45 is a beaut. A big handful of spring pistol power. Cocking, again, will be tricky for her, and I'm not sure about the size.

HW75... Beautiful pistol. Looks more like the 45, but is like an even more refined 40 under the skin. Fantastic pistol. So, you have the looks of the 45 bruiser, but with the beautifully impeccable manners of the 40 PCP....in fact, even better, as there's far less "muzzle flip" or "jetting" effect.

The best thing to do is to get to a well stocked shop where she can try them for size or, even better, if there's a club local to you where you can try them.

Must admit, I am an unashamed Weihrauch fan and would buy ANY of these pistols rather than their competitors.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

For paper targets, as long as you're doing the cocking then HW40 or Gamo PR45. They both have fairly small grips and are reasonably light.
    If you can find a basic Rohm CO2 pistol then that would be an option to consider. Again, light with a small grip but 8-shot and CO2 powered.

I would suggest the crosman 1377 or 2240 refitted with a 1740/1377 barrel.

Small grip and easy to operate, the 1377 should be ok to pump 3 or 4 times, the 2240 in its standard form is very accurate and will mangle cans but can be quite noisy.

Maybe a browning buckmark urx if a springer is ok?

Quote Originally Posted by ikarma70 View Post
    I would suggest the crosman 1377 or 2240 refitted with a 1740/1377 barrel.

Small grip and easy to operate, the 1377 should be ok to pump 3 or 4 times, the 2240 in its standard form is very accurate and will mangle cans but can be quite noisy.
    Yep, I own each of these and wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

Without checking, though, not sure if the 1377 wouldn't be a little too "front heavy"?

2240 would be very easy to use. Maybe trimming the hammer spring a little would make it more economical on CO2 and reduce muzzle blast?

The other little CO2 pistol that I love the looks of would be the Walther PPK. Just such a shame they don't do a rifled barrel, pellet version!

what air pistol to buy

hi thanks for all the replys to this thread i have now got a few air pistol to look at