Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: pcps that may become collectable

BSA Ultra .177 single shot - currently a cheap PCP and incredibly accurate - with an odd micro cocking system.

Great guns - love mine.

Looking at another mk1 rapid but in 177.

I am converted, rapids are the way forward

Quote Originally Posted by wsmk2 View Post
    BSA Ultra .177 single shot - currently a cheap PCP and incredibly accurate - with an odd micro cocking system.

Great guns - love mine.
    Yes mines in .22 allso with MMC, multi shot but I allso have the single shot adaptor, agree great little gun.

I suppose all models are / can be / will be collectable.

Like all collecting, there are no rules as such - but there are certain patterns that collectors will often follow.

Condition is always king.

Excellent condition boxed examples with handbook, swing tags, all the bits - will always be desirable. And most original owners threw those bits away. Or left the box etc at the gunshop, taking the gun home in a slip / gunbag...

A 'core' collection of popular well known & well liked standard guns, condition as above, is nice.

Limited Editions, rare model variants, low production numbers - are not always so much more valuable & desirable, but some are...

Here's my idea of the beginnings of a modern PCP collection: Part 1:

Lets start with a nice example of the Daystate 'Rentokil' Hunstman. Made from 1980 on, as a business tool for Rentokil / a pre-production model for the production Huntsman - the daddy of all modern PCPs. Fairly rare (and were supplied at 40 ft/lbs in .22 cal. for Rentokil). But 12 ft/lb examples do turn up for sale. At say, 650-£750.

An easy bit now - picking up a nice Huntsman MK1 .177 cal. Circa £350. Then a Huntstman mk2... you might pick up a good .177 with q/f, DS silencer & a spare muzzle break... with Sporter and FTR stock, for £400. - £450. maybe with the 'match' trigger fitted... Perhaps also a Huntsman Midas with all the brass bling (£400.), Oh and we should get an LR90 (lighter weight mk2 Huntsman varient).

And why not look out for an 80's/90's Daystate pistol (£300-£400), and pushing the boat out a bit - how about an SR92 bullpup (based on the Huntsman mk1, rare, as only around 30 examples were sold). I had one. Sold it for £500. which wa about right at the time, around 4 years ago.

Finally, do we want to charge on, obtaining an arm-full of newer models like Merlyn, X2, Air Ranger, etc etc etc... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Here's my idea of the beginnings of a modern PCP collection: Part 1:

Lets start with a nice example of the Daystate 'Rentokil' Hunstman. Made from 1980 on, as a business tool for Rentokil / a pre-production model for the production Huntsman - the daddy of all modern PCPs. Fairly rare (and were supplied at 40 ft/lbs in .22 cal. for Rentokil). But 12 ft/lb examples do turn up for sale. At say, 650-£750.
    Hi,

I was given to understand that the guns made for Rentokil were actually marked as such with the Rentokil name???...I used to own an early Huntsman Low that had a heavy polished stainless steel reservoir, very crude one-piece trigger and the facility to have open sights (front was missing, think the rearsight was HW..) stock looked like it had been fitted to something else first too...infact the whole gun looked like it was made from parts of different guns. It is a 12fpe model and is not marked for Rentokil. I sold it to a mate who still has it and it is still going strong.
    blah blah

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    having said that, I don't know how many GC2s were made?...20-30 maybe?
    I think it is more like 2-300 in total.
    People who have been there focus on the fundamentals. People who sit at keyboards all day focus on the trivial and inane.

All good ideas, Yes Daystates and a ealy Air Atms would be nice, quite like the old Pro-Target

Early mint example of MK1 Rapid with twin can mod,box was a bit boring still got it.I can't remember if any paperwork or instructions came with it.Probably the first model of each version e.g. MKII as a lot are now far from standard.
    Same with early Daystate,Titan & Falcon.

collectable pcp's

any of the daystate merlyn thumbhole stocked models,the regged one i have is pure class .

Quote Originally Posted by rockdrill View Post
    I think it is more like 2-300 in total.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=34

I think there was less than 20 truly left hand actions.

A couple of our club members use them today in HFT alongside Steyrs etc. with good results.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 22-07-2014 at 08:51 AM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Here's my 2p's worth, adding to the previous contenders

Mick Dawes Special, Ripley AR3, AR4 ,AR4 silhouette limited editions,AR5 and AR5 S, Ripley Predator (20 made ?)

Pro Target Tactical Hunter, AA PP1 pistol

Daystate Sportsman Mk 1 and Mk 2, Daystate QC Mk 1 and Mk2, CR94, 97 , 2000 , bullpup and CRX (with titanium version a one off) Daystate Competa pistol - all these were low production numbers before Daystate 'limited editions'

Quote Originally Posted by DCL_dave View Post
    Hi,

I was given to understand that the guns made for Rentokil were actually marked as such with the Rentokil name???...I used to own an early Huntsman Low that had a heavy polished stainless steel reservoir, very crude one-piece trigger and the facility to have open sights (front was missing, think the rearsight was HW..) stock looked like it had been fitted to something else first too...infact the whole gun looked like it was made from parts of different guns. It is a 12fpe model and is not marked for Rentokil. I sold it to a mate who still has it and it is still going strong.
    Hi Dave, I don't know if you've seen this little article: http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/...tting-started/ Seems like some very early 12 ft/lb versions were being sold at the time of the 'Rentokil' models (which I've never seen, but I missed one for sale locally that apparently had 'Rentokil' stamped / engraved on it).

ATB - Phil

Thanks for the responses guys, I got in to pcp,s only really in the last 3 years. Most of my 150 plus colecction are spring, co2 or pump- ups, but have at last began to see the posotives. My arm / hand is seriously comprimissed after an accident in 2007, result is I cant actually cock or load for any reall length of time a lot of my springers or pump-ups now I am a stubborn B and wont be beaten by something as trivial as an illness but pcp,s are in the frame has an answer. I have to say my recently aquired Brocock Enigma Carbine in .22 is a revolation, accurate , and a great to use machine. I do have a soft spot for the Steyer Hunter 5 shoot Mark Bassett uses at my main club -Nelson, but cant justify the cost at moment,but you never know,

Hi Dave, I don't know if you've seen this little article: http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2007/...tting-started/ Seems like some very early 12 ft/lb versions were being sold at the time of the 'Rentokil' models (which I've never seen, but I missed one for sale locally that apparently had 'Rentokil' stamped / engraved on it).

ATB - Phil
    yes Phill, I allso miseed that sale , never mind surprissing what turns up. atb Dave.

ATB - Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks, no I don't think I've seen that link before. My old Huntsman (S/No H.L.1067) is almost the spitting image of the the gun in the pic titled 'The 10th Daystate Huntsman to roll off the line.' ...and, like the that gun, it is 'Still working today'

I've had a look on the Daystate site and HL1067 isn't mentioned, but HL1077 was apparently made in 1983...I've been told that it is a 1982/83 gun...(have you ever tried to make sense of the early Huntsman Low serial numbers?...the Daystate database does not make much sense in the the order and dates of the early guns.

Cheers,
    Dave
    blah blah