Thread: removing small notch/nick in stock

removing small notch/nick in stock

I've just sent the action of my HW98 off to Welsh Willy for a little tune, and while it's out of the stock there's a little nick just at the front of the stock that's niggling at me, so I'd like to get it sorted.

It's only really small but it bothers me as it's the only real blemish on an otherwise unmarked stock.
    I don't really want to have to sand and refinish the whole thing, and I'm guessing that trying to do the steam trick to try and lift it out will need the varnish taking off in the affected area, but that'll obviously need to be revarnished once it's done. Problem there is matching up the varnish colour & finish to the rest of it.
    Anyone got any little tricks or advice they'd like to impart? Or is it just something that I'll have to live with?

Ta in advance
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

Good grief man, you can hardly see it ...I say live with it and shoot the bloody thing and enjoy

So that's a no then...?

If I hadn't sent the action off it would undoubtedly get left, but as I can't shoot it for a few weeks it's a golden opportunity to try and sort it. Once the action goes back in I'll be too busy shooting it again..
    HW98 .177, Falcon Menace 4.5-18x56, WW tune HW97 blue laminate .177, Hawke eclipse 4-16x50 ir BSA Scorpion se tactical .177 ,BSA deerhunter 6.5-32×46 SMK XS78, .22 3-9x40 Mountmaster- Remington Express xp tactical .22, standard - Gamo CF20 .177 - mk1 meteor .177

muzzie is offline Wants something a little...special
    Do the old steam iron
    This is the crisis I knew had to come, Distroying the balance Id kept.
    Turning around to the next set of lives, Wondering what will come next .

I was once told about an old French polishers trick that might just do the job...
    You'll need a candle (honest!), scrape off the surface of the candle so that it leaves an area which is relatively free of any contamination. Then rub this part of the candle onto the damaged area of wood. This should 'fill-up' the gouge in the wood. Let it settle for a while before carefully rubbing off any surplus wax with a clean lint free cloth. Might have to do it more than once to get it spot on, but it should work! Finally, degrease the area around the repair, then use proprietary wood polish to blend in the repair.
    Worth a try??
    Last edited by bhodge; 22-07-2014 at 06:54 PM. Reason: carp speeling...crap spelling!
    HuMa regulated S200 .22...
    Artemis PP800 .177...
    Weihrauch HW45 .177

an angle grinder will sort it

Now were is my coat

watch out with hw stocks they sometimes end up looking worse than they did beforehand

Quote Originally Posted by bhodge View Post
    I was once told about an old French polishers trick that might just do the job...
    You'll need a candle (honest!), scrape off the surface of the candle so that it leaves an area which is relatively free of any contamination. Then rub this part of the candle onto the damaged area of wood. This should 'fill-up' the gouge in the wood. Let it settle for a while before carefully rubbing off any surplus wax with a clean lint free cloth. Might have to do it more than once to get it spot on, but it should work! Finally, degrease the area around the repair, then use proprietary wood polish to blend in the repair.
    Worth a try??
    That sounds like as good an idea as any.. I will give it a go. Thanks

hard wax sticks

Before you do any of the above google 'furniture repair sticks'.
    These come in many shades/colours and are probably the best and easiest solution.

Those had never occurred to me, though I know of their existence... good thinking that man!

A damp cloth and an iron will take dents out
    Hope this helps