Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which gun should i choose.hw100 full lengh. air arms s400.daystate airwolf or mk4

muzzie is offline Wants something a little...special
    No way she must be 90....
    This is the crisis I knew had to come, Distroying the balance Id kept.
    Turning around to the next set of lives, Wondering what will come next .

Quote Originally Posted by muzzie View Post
    No way she must be 90....
    Yep - and with about 90 million in the bank - think on
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

When you say "target" shooting, what type of targets are you thinking of? Is it paper punching or knock over reactive targets as in FT or HFT?

If it's competitive outdoor target shooting then you probably want to steer clear of a magazine rifle, it's just hassle removing mags between lanes. For paper punching, a mag is ideal as you don't break position so much from shot to shot.

The AA S400 takes some beating as a single shot option. Essentially simple and uncomplicated, and the spares are readily available. Some folk are very attached to the HW100; all I can say is several at our club have had warm issues and you'll find that some gunsmiths won't touch them as Hull Cartridge are picky over who they will supply spares to.

The Daystate Airwolf is a very impressive piece of kit, I've had two and still have the second one. It's not as heavy as it looks (with the smaller bottle) and the weight distribution is as near perfect as you could ask for. The only downside for me is the magazine, and that won't accept wadcutter pellets which makes it less than ideal for paper punching, and that's one of the applications I bought my first one for.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    You'd need more than .22lr to penetrate that old carcass!

( I still 'would' though )
    thanks for all the advice will test all the models suggested with a decent scope and come to the decision. Don't want to buy and then 3 months down the line regret my decision my budget is not important have around £2000 in total to reset up for complete system or may buy good second hand set up.

I can recommend the airwolf. On shot count alone. I have also owned the hw100. Very robust and magazine cannot be beaten. Both of the above can be switched to single shot quickly and easily.
    The AA400 is a great gun and many people swear by them, i have owned 2 and they are remarkably accurate.
    The AA400 is a good gun at a good price.
    The airwolf is expensive, but i love mine and it has been used a LOT i am a self employed pest control tech and i like it because i do not need another cylinder in the van as the shot count is big enough to leave that at home!
    The HW100 is somewhere in between and a great all rounder too.

I think i would probably go for a HW100 tbh. If you don't need a massive shot count. They can get warm, but a good dealer will sort that out for you.
    Cheers
    Paul

HW100 SK robust very accurate and excellent single shot adapter. Shot count is plenty for HFT, refill if doing 2 rounds. Float the barrel and it keeps it's zero better.

AT is easy to remove so you can calm it down if need be (both of mine have been fine)

tuning stuff available here:

http://www.hw100tuning.co.uk/
    Air arms HFT500, Prosport,
    WH100SK Daystate Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Two200's View Post
    I can recommend the airwolf. On shot count alone. I have also owned the hw100. Very robust and magazine cannot be beaten. Both of the above can be switched to single shot quickly and easily.
    The AA400 is a great gun and many people swear by them, i have owned 2 and they are remarkably accurate.
    The airwolf is expensive, but i love mine and it has been used a LOT i am a self employed pest control tech and i like it because i do not need another cylinder in the van as the shot count is big enough to leave that at home!

I think i would probably go for a HW100 tbh. If you don't need a massive shot count. They can get warm, but a good dealer will sort that out for you.
    Cheers
    Paul
    I agree with Paul, if i got back into hunting and wanted a multishot with single shot capability it would be the HW100 every time. One of my mates has 2 HW100's and i would rip his arm off for either if he was selling. It looks as if his HW100 will take the NEFTA HFT title this year and should (hopefully) see both of us into the UKAHFT top 10. If we shoot groups side by side there is nothing in it between his HW100 and my Steyr. You've got to pop along to Emley mate and then you can try 5 or 6 different rifles and i'm sure i can rustle up a s400, HW100, Steyr and a few Daystates for you to try.

Edit....An additional bonus of the HW100 is that my mate is very good at servicing and setting up.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    When you say "target" shooting, what type of targets are you thinking of? Is it paper punching or knock over reactive targets as in FT or HFT?

If it's competitive outdoor target shooting then you probably want to steer clear of a magazine rifle, it's just hassle removing mags between lanes. For paper punching, a mag is ideal as you don't break position so much from shot to shot.

The AA S400 takes some beating as a single shot option. Essentially simple and uncomplicated, and the spares are readily available. Some folk are very attached to the HW100; all I can say is several at our club have had warm issues and you'll find that some gunsmiths won't touch them as Hull Cartridge are picky over who they will supply spares to.

The Daystate Airwolf is a very impressive piece of kit, I've had two and still have the second one. It's not as heavy as it looks (with the smaller bottle) and the weight distribution is as near perfect as you could ask for. The only downside for me is the magazine, and that won't accept wadcutter pellets which makes it less than ideal for paper punching, and that's one of the applications I bought my first one for.
    thanks for the advice going to be joining either pontefract or readferns or emley air rifle club once i get the rifle but looking for some permision to do rabbit etc shooting been 20 years since i stopped shooting and the farmer i used to shoot on sadley has passed away thinking of trying to buy a good used set up but want the latest airwolf only or new if i cant find a good one. target shooting i have never really done before but its something im interested in but not weekends due to other commitments but will still enjoy im sure. great advice again thanks Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I agree with Paul, if i got back into hunting and wanted a multishot with single shot capability it would be the HW100 every time. One of my mates has 2 HW100's and i would rip his arm off for either if he was selling. It looks as if his HW100 will take the NEFTA HFT title this year and should (hopefully) see both of us into the UKAHFT top 10. If we shoot groups side by side there is nothing in it between his HW100 and my Steyr. You've got to pop along to Emley mate and then you can try 5 or 6 different rifles and i'm sure i can rustle up a s400, HW100, Steyr and a few Daystates for you to try.
    thanks i really struggle on weekends but will certain
    Edit....An additional bonus of the HW100 is that my mate is very good at servicing and setting up.
    thanks i really do struggle on weekends but am trying to make it up not too far for me either midweek days seem to have more time off. called into local gunshop redbeck they seem very helpfull to
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Two200's View Post

Cheers
    Paul
    thanks for the advice am going to try all of em all what scope do you recommend too
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I agree with Paul, if i got back into hunting and wanted a multishot with single shot capability it would be the HW100 every time. One of my mates has 2 HW100's and i would rip his arm off for either if he was selling. It looks as if his HW100 will take the NEFTA HFT title this year and should (hopefully) see both of us into the UKAHFT top 10. If we shoot groups1 side by side there is nothing in it between his HW0c0 and my Steyr. You've got to pop along to Emley mate and then you can try 5 or 6 different rifles and i'm sure i can rustle up a s400, HW100, Steyr and a few Daystates for you to try.

cheers for that advice i really struggle on weekends but am trying been to local gunshop redbeck they seem helpfull looking for some land for shooting as fsrmer i used to use sadley passed away last year
    Nigel

For me the HW100 would be the last rifle I would want, First would be an air wolf.

ATB

Matt
    .177 HW100 KT, Hawke Sidewinder 4-14x44 SR Pro, A&M Twink Modorator.

Quote Originally Posted by salop sniper View Post
    For me the HW100 would be the last rifle I would want, First would be an air wolf.

ATB

Matt
    any reason why not the hw100 am leaning towards the daystate mk4 or airwolf
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by nigel080663 View Post
    thanks for the advice am going to try all of em all what scope do you recommend too
    Nigel
    Now the scope thing is a whole nuther matter!
    Most people will say - go for the best glass you can afford.
    I however did this and came right back to a Hawke Nite eye with an SR6 ret.
    A lot of the scopes ive had have been optically far superior, but i really like.my scope.
    Cheers
    Paul.

I have both the airwolf with hawke nite eye sr12 & s400 superlight with mamba lite
    both are great bits of kit
    the airwolf is fantastic once you get used to the trigger,but i find it a little too heavy to carry around
    ok to sit in a hide with
    the s400 i find not quite as accurate but not far off but then again not as expensive
    at the club i always take both plus a bsa springer
    & always use the s400 more
    if out on the land walking or shooting from the car it's the s400
    so if it was me i'd be looking for a second hand s400 to see how you get on