Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?

Cool Is it just me?

Is it just me or are there plenty of other springer peeps who love the aroma of a springer in the "steadily" burning stage?

Now I know that we all know not to use too much grease in our springers, so I'm not condoning that at all.

BUT....the other week at the Lincs HFT Club, one of the chaps mentioned how he could just detect a "whiff" from my old 77. And it does. And it smells lovely, which he agreed on.

And I love the smell of a HW45...especially fresh out of the box and you blow the smoke down the barrel!

And the other week when taking those first few shots with the new little 99...that smell of the factory grease burning off is lovely.

Now, this ain't a technical post and I realise that consistency will be better when we're not burning grease; it's just 'COS I LOVE THE SMELL!!!!!

Just like Castrol R in two strokes and some classic racing cars!!!

P.S. I built that 77 over 4 years ago with a V-Mach kit (and, obviously the V-Mach grease) and it runs a mega consistent 11.4. Single figure fps variation and with that lovely smell as a bonus!
    Last edited by TonyL; 22-07-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: P.S. 77
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Not just you Tony.
    Last week the PCP boys were loving the smell of my tuned .22 77k in the morning!

The smell of burned grease from a new HW45 is enjoyable but what I like more is the smell of the two wooden grips. The wood smells so good every Weihrauch gun should smell like that forever. You have to own an HW45 just so you can smell the brown wood grips..
    Last edited by Arschilecki; 22-07-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    It's probably a load of old shite, but I was told years ago not to blow down the barrel due to your breath introducing moisture.

Yep, it's one of those smells you have to be male to appreciate. It's a bit like walking past an open pub window on a hot afternoon.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Frame View Post
    It's probably a load of old shite, but I was told years ago not to blow down the barrel due to your breath introducing moisture.
    That's BS. I do that all the time with new air guns and they never rust. With the next shot all the "moisture" is blown out.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    The smell of a HW45 puts me in mind of studious men in brown engineers coats calibrating a lathe.
    Good deals with these members

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by Arschilecki View Post
    That's BS. I do that all the time with new air guns and they never rust. With the next shot all the "moisture" is blown out.
    Just don't do it on your last shot then!

Dave

Yes ... superb aroma. Black powder burners come close as well.
    I have been told there is/was a certain shooter who used a dab of 20/40 oil behind each ear rather than Chanel No.7

Such aromas linger on at the Vintage rifle shoot at Lea Valley. All adds to the atmosphere and brings a smile to us members of the aged fraternity.
    Cheers, Phil
    Must go and shoot an old dieseler now ...... for old time's sake.

There's nothing like the smell after the first few shots of a vintage springer that hasn't been fired since the War (or a long time, anyway).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    There's nothing like the smell after the first few shots of a vintage springer that hasn't been fired since the War (or a long time, anyway).
    sorry have to dig out my 1931 Bsa CS standard and put a few shots in to the plant pots. but yes know what you mean, an evocative smell.

In the late seventies I used to shoot .22 rim fire in an indoor range which was originally part of an old factory. It had no ventilation or heating, I can still remember the smell of the cordite. My TX200 still has a nicer smell than my MPR.

Hi, its not just you, Castrol 'R' and walking into a shop and smelling cutting fluid and that hot oil smell. Smell is the most powerfull thing that I know of.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Perfectly understandable - sniffing guns

Actually using my first ever brand new springer (only last year) brought back memories of the Speedway track at Belle Vue (if you remember Ivan Major you too are probable officially old).

I assumed this was something to do with the combined smell of hot oil/grease/metal?

Someone mentioned cutting fluid. I remember using some oil when using a die to cut a thread on a lathe at training school, it smelt glorious like almonds. Not to be confused with the pong of white mistic coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Frame View Post
    Just don't do it on your last shot then!

Dave
    Indeedy!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Glad it's not just me, then!

And I can particularly see where the vintage gun shooters are coming from.

Sometimes makes you want to get hold of a really cheap and nasty old nail, preferably with leather washer and induce a little deliberate combustion!! I wonder how nice the aroma would be if very small quantities of Castrol R were introduced?. Lovely, I'll bet.

I wonder what aroma the HW35 Barrakuda exuded?

And, yes, I remember Ivan Major (not sure if it was spelt like that, though) , so, yes, officially an old git now!!!