Thread: Is it just me?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    It's probably a load of old shite, but I was told years ago not to blow down the barrel due to your breath introducing moisture.

Yep, it's one of those smells you have to be male to appreciate. It's a bit like walking past an open pub window on a hot afternoon.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Frame View Post
    It's probably a load of old shite, but I was told years ago not to blow down the barrel due to your breath introducing moisture.
    That's BS. I do that all the time with new air guns and they never rust. With the next shot all the "moisture" is blown out.

Unframed Dave is online now World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    Quote Originally Posted by Arschilecki View Post
    That's BS. I do that all the time with new air guns and they never rust. With the next shot all the "moisture" is blown out.
    Just don't do it on your last shot then!

Dave

Yes ... superb aroma. Black powder burners come close as well.
    I have been told there is/was a certain shooter who used a dab of 20/40 oil behind each ear rather than Chanel No.7

Such aromas linger on at the Vintage rifle shoot at Lea Valley. All adds to the atmosphere and brings a smile to us members of the aged fraternity.
    Cheers, Phil
    Must go and shoot an old dieseler now ...... for old time's sake.

There's nothing like the smell after the first few shots of a vintage springer that hasn't been fired since the War (or a long time, anyway).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    There's nothing like the smell after the first few shots of a vintage springer that hasn't been fired since the War (or a long time, anyway).
    sorry have to dig out my 1931 Bsa CS standard and put a few shots in to the plant pots. but yes know what you mean, an evocative smell.

In the late seventies I used to shoot .22 rim fire in an indoor range which was originally part of an old factory. It had no ventilation or heating, I can still remember the smell of the cordite. My TX200 still has a nicer smell than my MPR.

Hi, its not just you, Castrol 'R' and walking into a shop and smelling cutting fluid and that hot oil smell. Smell is the most powerfull thing that I know of.
    Cheers.
    Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Frame View Post
    Just don't do it on your last shot then!

Dave
    Indeedy!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Glad it's not just me, then!

And I can particularly see where the vintage gun shooters are coming from.

Sometimes makes you want to get hold of a really cheap and nasty old nail, preferably with leather washer and induce a little deliberate combustion!! I wonder how nice the aroma would be if very small quantities of Castrol R were introduced?. Lovely, I'll bet.

I wonder what aroma the HW35 Barrakuda exuded?

And, yes, I remember Ivan Major (not sure if it was spelt like that, though) , so, yes, officially an old git now!!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

Was not too sure, just looked on the web, it's Ivan Mauger. There is a video on YouTube of him riding a speedway bike at 72 years of age!

Yes it was a very distinct "whiff" Tony, an unforgetable aroma. As for Castrol R, it was better than any perfume in my karting days.

Quote Originally Posted by nick-nic View Post
    Yes it was a very distinct "whiff" Tony, an unforgetable aroma. As for Castrol R, it was better than any perfume in my karting days.
    Aha, yes, V-Mach moly grease, Nick.

Hope you had a lovely holiday.

Will visit again as soon as I can. It won't be tomorrow, only just starting to get over a viral infection. Bloody horrible!

But, when I next come I'll be bringing the new little .177 99S.

Quote Originally Posted by nick-nic View Post
    those were the days . a whole pack of two strokes taking off from the start line on full throttle ! ,,,, WONDERFULL
    gat gun .25 cal