Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's hear it for the good guys!

Let's hear it for the good guys!

A round of virtual applause, please, for Ian Jones and all the good people at Rivington Riflemen.

A couple of weeks ago, I was alerted to an 'airgun investigation' being carried out by a radio station by the name of Key 103 Manchester. I contacted Key 103 and spoke at some length to the main reporter connected with the airgun feature. She seemed to be receptive to the facts and figures I gave her, including a few corrections to the information Key 103 had been given by sources that really should have known better.

Anyway, I offered her the chance to visit our club at Bisley, or for me to come to the Key 103 studios in Manchester, but she, quite rightly, pointed out that this was a Manchester-based feature, and what goes on at a club in Surrey wasn't exactly ideal for her audience. Keen to get our sport a voice in this, I offered to find a Manchester-based club for the reporter to visit, and she agreed that it would be a great idea.

After a bit of consultation, I had a three-club shortlist and made some calls. Ian Jones of Rivington Riflemen was on holiday at the time, but top man that he is, he got back to me and after a chat about the Key 103 visit, he agreed to discuss it with his club. He also agreed to let me pass on his number to the reporter, and after agreement from the good folks at Rivi', the Key 103 visit was arranged.

Everything went extremely well, and the reporter even did a bit of shooting, hitting some targets and experiencing the pleasure of marksmanship for herself. She was thoroughly grounded in the culture of safety and responsibility that sustains clubs like Rivington Riflemen, and she saw for herself a group of perfectly responsible people enjoying their airguns. From the initial conversation I'd had with her, she didn't know airgun clubs even existed, let alone that there were several of them in and around Manchester.

I've since spoken to that reporter and she was genuinely impressed with what she saw, and experienced, and for once I have real confidence in what will come from this. The reporter has asked if I can be consulted in the future, should any airgun-related issues present themselves, so at the very least we've established a working link between our sport and a major media outlet.

So, thanks again to Ian Jones and Rivington Riflemen, for representing our sport in the most positive way. Well done you Rivi' folk - you played a blinder for us.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post

So, thanks again to Ian Jones and Rivington Riflemen, for representing our sport in the most positive way. Well done you Rivi' folk - you played a blinder for us.
    Hear, hear. Well done you nice folk!

And to your good self, too, El Tel!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Result Tel removes virtual hat and throws into the air

Good effort from the Rivi crew. Looking forward to shooting there at the next UKAHFT round this Sunday.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

That is genuinely positive news in an ocean of bad news that we are all sailing in at the moment.
    It does not surprise me in the least that the public at large have little or no knowledge of what goes on in our world.
    So well done Rivington ,Ian and Tel.

Pete.

Good news travels fast but bad news travels even faster or so I was taught years ago.
    It's great that the media in this instance are given a truly positive image of our sport rather than the usual sensationalist news of the mindless few taking silly pot shots at anything and everything.

Great job guys

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Well done Tel, Ian and the members of RR - proactive positive PR is exactly what we need.
    Reactive PR, while necessary, is not good enough on its own IMO - often the damage has already been done.
    We need positive representation, and I think if a few clubs around the country could talk a few honest journalists (local and national) into some friendly write-ups, it could do wonders for the sport, and at least give non-shooters some context when yet another scare-story comes out of the woodwork.
    Good deals with these members

What is her name? I know someone who works for key 103..

Quote Originally Posted by funkymonk View Post
    What is her name? I know someone who works for key 103..
    Michelle Livesey, I believe.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

Great work, all.

Just what the UK airgun scene needs; proactive ambassadors ready to put the case despite those, from outside and within the sport, who would see further nonsensical restrictions.

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

fantastic and good on the reporter for taking the time to look at the other side of the airguns.

Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Well done Ian and all at Rivington .
    It's great that someone can see us in a positive way for a change.
    Nice work.

100% echo the praise for IJ and the guys and gals at Rivington.

peterd8877 is offline Anschutz connoisseur and marksman
    Well done Rivington.

Well done Ian and the folks at RR.

We need to take at this as an example of what we should all be doing to promote ourselves in the eyes of the press and public.

All the best Mick

Well done Terry and all those concerned for turning what is normally a negative situation into a positive one,hopefully