Thread: Can the police remove your rifles without good reason?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ACT

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    To Clarify

Any Police Officer uniformed or otherwise can stop any vehicle provided he/she announces they are a Police Officer and most importantly produces their Warrant Card and then tells you why they have stopped you ie under the necessary sections of the Police And Criminal Evidence Act or Road Traffic Act
    AN ACT does not mean it's law/lawfull.

Without a warrant NEVER invite the law into your house EVER! If you invite them in the law states they can exercise the same powers as having a warrant because you allowed them to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by leeben View Post
    Without a warrant NEVER invite the law into your house EVER! If you invite them in the law states they can exercise the same powers as having a warrant because you allowed them to do so.
    I don't think that is true of the police, if you invite them in then you can ask them to leave at any time, & they cannot search, however if they have seen something illegal/suspect out in the open while inside then they can act on what they have seen.
    (never invite a bailiff in as that gives them the right to re-enter at any time)

You simply need to ask what grounds they have to think xyz driving unusually slowly at 2am, as above, points towards possible drink driving which is understandable grounds to stop you, but saying "I thought xyz" politely ask "why/on what grounds did they think that ?"

I find being polite & helpful works wonders and I speak as someone who has a neighbour making repeated false accusations against me, often to do with me shooting on my own land it is their job to investigate when someone makes a complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    I don't think that is true of the police, if you invite them in then you can ask them to leave at any time, & they cannot search, however if they have seen something illegal/suspect out in the open while inside then they can act on what they have seen.
    (never invite a bailiff in as that gives them the right to re-enter at any time)

You simply need to ask what grounds they have to think xyz driving unusually slowly at 2am, as above, points towards possible drink driving which is understandable grounds to stop you, but saying "I thought xyz" politely ask "why/on what grounds did they think that ?"

I find being polite & helpful works wonders and I speak as someone who has a neighbour making repeated false accusations against me, often to do with me shooting on my own land it is their job to investigate when someone makes a complaint.

Look it up bud it's there if you look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post

Be careful on this point as it is dependent on what authority a bailiff is working under. And you do not have to invite one in, all he has to do is gain access peacefully.

I thought that police have automatic right of entry into your house (ie without a search warrant) if you hold a firearms certificate, and you keep firearms on the premises? is this true?

Sorry to hijack your thread slightly, but it is related to your original post

Cheers

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    I thought that police have automatic right of entry into your house (ie without a search warrant) if you hold a firearms certificate, and you keep firearms on the premises? is this true?

Sorry to hijack your thread slightly, but it is related to your original post

Cheers

Lakey
    Only if they have reason to believe they will be used for criminal intent.

Thanks for the very informative replies. I have passed this on to the person concerned and indeed looks like they have entered his property without proper cause and seized his rifles for inspection for no other reason than that they were there.

I will keep you posted on any resolution to it.

Thanks again chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by leeben View Post
    Only if they have reason to believe they will be used for criminal intent.
    And that's the problem I have with all this conversation...... the word "believe" - how is that proved (or disproved)????

"I thought you were about to go on a rampage"
    "I thought you had an over-powered airgun"

Short of asking the basis for their "belief", do we really have a way of refusing in a real-world scenario? Or do we ask them nicely to come back when they have a warrant? and if you're an FAC holder like me, isn't that likely to prejudice your renewal? I know it probably SHOULDN'T, but I'm not that naive.

Dunk
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

Police tactics

This is what happened to me some time ago when renewing a firearms certificate that I had held for many years.
    The person from the firearms dept arrived at my house at the arranged time. I invited her in and her first words were "do you mind if I just ask you some questions first before I see the guns".I said O.K. She then started to ask questions which were already covered in the renewal application.The questions then drifted off into areas which I thought had little relevance to the application.I asked what this had to do with the renewal.Her reply was "well I did ask if you would mind answering some questions and you said O.K.
    So my advice if ever asked "would you mind just answering a few questions" is to ask what they are in connection with and if they drift off into other areas ask what that has to do with the original request.

Quote Originally Posted by basa View Post
    AN ACT does not mean it's law/lawfull.
    They are Act's of Law