Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HW80...Your thoughts please

Another vote in favour of the older 80's if its not broken don't fix it, they were built like tanks and made to last even if badly abussed.The only bad thing about them is the lazy and slow action but this can be overcome by short stroking them or just practice till you get used to the slooooow lock time.

A good gun which will always do what you ask it to.
    However, if you want to do well with it - you have to use it and nothing else.
    If you shot a 95/98/99/77/97 at the side of it, the firing cycle will feel second rate i'm afraid.
    However if you want a gun to use every now and again and is doubtful that it would ever let you down, thats the one.
    If you like to tune guns, they are good candidates, however sleeving pistons of short stroking will basically give you a 95 but with a bigger frame. I would have a look into the smaller HW's.
    The very little they give up on strength and durability vs the 80, they more than make up for in shooting enjoyment.
    The smaller HW's dont have the fame of the 80 yet, but they are much easier to get along with.
    Failing any attraction, look at the 97 or 77 variants.
    I had a bog standard HW 97, which had be used so much, it felt like a tuned rifle, no twang etc. One day the gun started shooting low, but still grouping perfectly. No change to the feel of the gu or the firing cycle, i thought the scope had moved. I chrony'd the gun and it had lost 2ft lb's but was still mega consistent.
    When i stripped the gun, the spring came out in 4 pieces. If i was wanting another springer i would buy another tomorrow and probably another one next payday too.
    Cheers.