Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW80...Your thoughts please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HW80...Your thoughts please

Hi All,

I'm looking for a little help from you folk in the know if possible please?

Thinking about buying myself a Weihrauch HW80 in .22 flavour, but have been wondering how the latest models compare with the older ones?

Obviously I'll be keeping my eye on the 'Private Sales' ads here, but in the meantime if anyone out there has a very good specimen for sale and is within a reasonable distance of Bury, Rochdale, Manchester, then I'd be interested to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

Alan

Personally I would more favour the HW95 or 85 if you can find a good un!. The '80 is a lovely rifle but is more suited to FAC energy levels or sleeving down the piston (i.e. Venom http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=58) or shortening the stroke if you want it in sub 12ft.lbs. Why carry round that extra weight when the '95/85 does just the same job?

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    If you are going to be hauling it around all day then there might be an argument for the 95. In my opinion you don't need to spend much to get an 80 shooting sweet and that awful end block on the 95 really is a pain in the ass. Just a thought mate but have you considered a TX as they are just superb if weight is not a concern for you.

Kindest regards

Barrel

Kindest regards
    IF I WALKED ON WATER PEOPLE WOULD SAY I COULD NOT SWIM !

The HW80 is has IJ says more suited to fac power and yes like him I have and use the 80 and the 95. My 80 is 30 years old, its an Airgun Centre Custum made for my 18th, it still dose 11.7ft lbs with Accupells, its still amazingly accurate. Simply one of the best heveyweight sporters ever built. The 95 I have is the basis of the SFS Banshee 2, a custum HW95 which has been improvded by Tony Wall and stocked in a GINB stock, mines in .177 with Air Arms domes in 4.52 accurate, powerfull and a delight to use. Choice is yours but both are superb rifles. Enjoy.

I'm with Barrel on this one..... I own both an '80 and a '95, and for me the '80 is the better of the two, largely because of the extra weight. I find it gives greater stability, and helps to keep the gun on-aim.

I really tried to like the '95 - fitting a tuning kit, fettling it and fitting it in a nice custom stock, but I just don't get along with it as well - the slightest gust of wind blows it off-aim. It takes a tornado to blow an '80 about (and if you're lugging it around all day...... buy a sling - simples!)

Real men shoot an 80

Dunk
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, raise the black flag & start slitting throats"

I have both 80's and a 95. I have tuned all of them but the 95 rarley gets touched. The 80 is always considered a heavy weight but its not so bad by underlever standards
    and the 95 is too floaty due to its light weight for me. Blackpool air rifles have an old Mk1 .22 for sale at not too much money.

atb

Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    Hi All,

I'm looking for a little help from you folk in the know if possible please?

Thinking about buying myself a Weihrauch HW80 in .22 flavour, but have been wondering how the latest models compare with the older ones?

Obviously I'll be keeping my eye on the 'Private Sales' ads here, but in the meantime if anyone out there has a very good specimen for sale and is within a reasonable distance of Bury, Rochdale, Manchester, then I'd be interested to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

Alan
    No difference in age that is SIGNIFICANT. HW95s are better in 22 imo , 80s are great in 177 and 20 cal. 80s without a fair bit of jiggery pokery , basically aren't great in 22, the bit more spring for 177 and 22 works well
    I wouldn't be without an 80, though I do not take shots I'd have had on squirrels with a lighter rifle, as although lovely when 'aimed', takes longer to shoulder up due to mass. My favourite 80 is an old mk11 one rebelled by Collin Molloy with a new style 20 cal 12 inch screwcut barrel, ph ally mod, v mach kit, Nikon EFR scope. It's about the 'lightest' 80 I've had, in that format, the stock is a particularly light one too, which vary a good few oz's, as stocks do ..hope this helps
    Last edited by PCPShooter; 24-07-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    Hi All,

Alan
    Alan, the difference between the old and the new is that the new type the have a strange star breech, a screw on cast metal barrel stop and stock screw yoke, but the new type does have a interesting cast metal cocking shoe that could be better, but it can also be fitted to the old type, also don't forget that the the old type have had a lot of time testing

80's in .177 and .25 you can get away with, reason being they need more spring so shoot nicer, in .22 get a hw95 or even better a 99s.

If you want a nice (really nice) 80 with a 30mm piston, you need to lighten the piston by around 70g, shorten the stroke by around 15mm, and take the TP out to 3.3 to 3.5mm....then they can be nice.

You will then be able to spring it with a hw77 spring, much smaller than an 80 spring, it will need new guides and a ptfe sleeve to bring the piston ID down.

Hw 80

Well I've had now three hw 80s ,two in .22 and one in .177 ,all Mk ones ,the best break barrel gun you can get,but the weight ! well that is the thing you will have get to.I sold the last one as it was just too much for me ,weight wise.I have now a hw 95 ,tuned to 11.6 fte and I must say well pleased.Would I ever have a hw 80 again ,no need !not when a 12fte gun as good as the 95 is , who needs an 80 .If you need FAC ,in a break barrel then get an 80 at 18 to 22 fte,why? Because there are made for it ,but over kill , in weight
    and size at 12fte,I love them but to take them out to shoot with ,walk around in the woods ,long walks around fields, no thanks,hw95 every time,light gun,light scope,lush........yeah ,pops

I bought an HW95 in .22 from these very forums, only a few weeks ago and I'm loving it.

I have owned a HW77k which I found really heavy. I still have a BSA lightning XL which is light and pointable but difficult to shoot well because it is so light.

I've tried an 80 at my local club and it seems unnecessarily heavy.

I suppose, it's whatever you prefer?

Ouch!

I've had an 80 in 1 form or another since 1996. All mk1's.
    The weight helps with stability imo (think fwb 300s or the majority of target rifles) I've recently sold my .22 '80 as I have a fwb 127, which is a lot lighter and just as accurate, (providing I concentrate more than I did with the 80) i also find it livelier to shoot than the heavier .22 80 I had.

Try a 95, then the 80 and see which shot cycle you prefer. If its the 80's just fit a sling and you'll be fine!

Isn't it time Weihauch did something about the stock on the HW80?

The woodwork certainly needs to be improved.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Not sure about the later ones but the woodwork on my mk.1 is one of the nicest beech stocks I've seen. I've not shot mine much over the last few months but had a good session at Rough Wedge this morning, it's shooting really well after a bit of fettling earlier in the year. Superbly efficient in an almost understated way.
    Awesome rifles.
    Regards,
    Dave.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Unless you are buying a full-power FAC version, I would say get a HW77. It's like a fixed-barrel 80 which has already been sleeved down to 25 or 26mm, and has the advantage of a fixed barrel....