Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HW80...Your thoughts please

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    Hi All,

I'm looking for a little help from you folk in the know if possible please?

Thinking about buying myself a Weihrauch HW80 in .22 flavour, but have been wondering how the latest models compare with the older ones?

Obviously I'll be keeping my eye on the 'Private Sales' ads here, but in the meantime if anyone out there has a very good specimen for sale and is within a reasonable distance of Bury, Rochdale, Manchester, then I'd be interested to hear from you.

Thanks in advance

Alan
    Between first and latest very little change. They got it right first time. Thats why it sells as well as expected here. Slight stock changes and the quality of polishing before finish is not as good as the very first sloping forend ones. Good solid rifles with excellent trigger, last forever unless bu**ered about with

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Between first and latest very little change. They got it right first time. Thats why it sells as well as expected here. Slight stock changes and the quality of polishing before finish is not as good as the very first sloping forend ones. Good solid rifles with excellent trigger, last forever unless bu**ered about with
    Yess 100%agree, mines one of the very early ones in .22 with the sloping forend, Airgun Centrure custum, 11.7 with accupels, made for my 18th, I will be 50 next March and the gun is in way better shape than me,

Hw80

I have a 2013 HW80K .22 quality is very high, but the standard spring is too harsh and very hard to keep it legal. A welsh willie kit solves all recoil problems and keeps you legal. I also have a HW97KT .22 which is up for sale, I am keeping the HW80 as its just as accurate and lighter but not too light. Its my standby hunting gun cant fault it.
    mk2 rapid.22

Hw 80

Well I've had now three hw 80s ,two in .22 and one in .177 ,all Mk ones ,the best break barrel gun you can get,but the weight ! well that is the thing you will have get to.I sold the last one as it was just too much for me ,weight wise.I have now a hw 95 ,tuned to 11.6 fte and I must say well pleased.Would I ever have a hw 80 again ,no need !not when a 12fte gun as good as the 95 is , who needs an 80 .If you need FAC ,in a break barrel then get an 80 at 18 to 22 fte,why? Because there are made for it ,but over kill , in weight
    and size at 12fte,I love them but to take them out to shoot with ,walk around in the woods ,long walks around fields, no thanks,hw95 every time,light gun,light scope,lush........yeah ,pops

I bought an HW95 in .22 from these very forums, only a few weeks ago and I'm loving it.

I have owned a HW77k which I found really heavy. I still have a BSA lightning XL which is light and pointable but difficult to shoot well because it is so light.

I've tried an 80 at my local club and it seems unnecessarily heavy.

I suppose, it's whatever you prefer?

Ouch!

I've had an 80 in 1 form or another since 1996. All mk1's.
    The weight helps with stability imo (think fwb 300s or the majority of target rifles) I've recently sold my .22 '80 as I have a fwb 127, which is a lot lighter and just as accurate, (providing I concentrate more than I did with the 80) i also find it livelier to shoot than the heavier .22 80 I had.

Try a 95, then the 80 and see which shot cycle you prefer. If its the 80's just fit a sling and you'll be fine!

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    Between first and latest very little change. They got it right first time.
    Sorry to disagree but there is a difference, and yes they did get it right the first time
    no cast metal bits and no dirt collecting breech
    http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps24a22855.jpg

Barry

The new 80's are better than the old 80's, the alignment of that removable bracket is now spot on, it is removable so if you strip a thread...just get a new bracket and bolt it on
    Onto the star nuts, if you are worried about dirt, fill them with wax, crayon, or push an O ring in there I think black crayon is the best bet...plus consider the barrel is now much easier to remove from the breech block...so shortening and threading is way way easier

Times move on, i know you are from the school of why fix it if not broke but the 80 needed updates imo and the updates they made make it a better gun. We now just need a new gen Rekord unit, set back blade, blade adjust screws (like TX) and wider sears to rear along with a geometry change for the blade axis pin...and make them available to buy as a spare part

Onto 80s and how they shoot, J darling had a lazerglide 80, so its not really an 80, the gun is re-manufactured to shoot at 12fpe much better than it does with a 30mm 330g piston by the use of a 25mm piston and a compression cylinder sleeve. Everyone wants a JD gun but if you buy a stock 80...you are only part way there

If trying a 95 in place of a 80 a 99 must be tried, a lot on forum said 99 better from box than 95, bit lighter than 95 if carrying all day, less length as well,

Melbourne Fair

As Alamo has now bought one, I can tell you there will be a nearly new HW80K .177 at the fair tomorrow, details in the collectors section

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    Barry

The new 80's are better than the old 80's, the alignment of that removable bracket is now spot on, it is removable so if you strip a thread...just get a new bracket and bolt it on
    Onto the star nuts, if you are worried about dirt, fill them with wax, crayon, or push an O ring in there I think black crayon is the best bet...plus consider the barrel is now much easier to remove from the breech block...so shortening and threading is way way easier

Times move on, i know you are from the school of why fix it if not broke but the 80 needed updates imo and the updates they made make it a better gun. We now just need a new gen Rekord unit, set back blade, blade adjust screws (like TX) and wider sears to rear along with a geometry change for the blade axis pin...and make them available to buy as a spare part

Onto 80s and how they shoot, J darling had a lazerglide 80, so its not really an 80, the gun is re-manufactured to shoot at 12fpe much better than it does with a 30mm 330g piston by the use of a 25mm piston and a compression cylinder sleeve. Everyone wants a JD gun but if you buy a stock 80...you are only part way there
    Tony,
    Im still not convinced that the new 80's are better than the old
    The HW80 is a legend and a real classic and is perhaps the one airgun that should be left as it was, I didn't even like the warning stamped on the end block LOL.( If HW really wanted to improve the 80 why didn't they fit thicker barrel shims and a sleeved barrel hinge bolt ) the new barrel stop and stock screw bracket is not necessary if the thread strips on the old bracket just re-thread it why the expense of buying and then risk disturbing the barrel stop that could put the barrel slightly out of line and that bit of wire to hold the cocking link from rattling looks a bodge, a couple of small spring disk washers at the block would be better
    I guess you are joking when you say put some black crayon around the star breech nut to keep out the dirt
    Also I wonder how many hw80 owners are concerned about how much easier it is to remove the barrel from the breech block to shorten, not a job for the home tuner.
    Anyway its to late now so no point me moaning LOL

Interesting thoughts. My own feelings are that if you are strong enough to heft around an 80 then go for that. If not, the 95 is pretty damned good, but possess even more recoil in the smaller calibre.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Isn't it time Weihauch did something about the stock on the HW80?

The woodwork certainly needs to be improved.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Not sure about the later ones but the woodwork on my mk.1 is one of the nicest beech stocks I've seen. I've not shot mine much over the last few months but had a good session at Rough Wedge this morning, it's shooting really well after a bit of fettling earlier in the year. Superbly efficient in an almost understated way.
    Awesome rifles.
    Regards,
    Dave.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Unless you are buying a full-power FAC version, I would say get a HW77. It's like a fixed-barrel 80 which has already been sleeved down to 25 or 26mm, and has the advantage of a fixed barrel....