Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walther Century ??

Walther Century ??

These look like a good buy ????

OK they have 30mm piston, that doesn't bother me

so for £270 / £280 quid you get a synthetic bearing piston with properly fitting spring and guides

Any feedback from people who've bought them to shoot of the shelf, not from people who take things to bits to re engineer them please ??

I would just get one it will be fine when i get some more funds i will invest in one but for now will have to wait.I've been very happy with the LGV & Master also the LGU but think the Ultra is better so the Century should be as good hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post

so for £270 / £280 quid you get a synthetic bearing piston with properly fitting spring and guides
    ......scope included and manual barrel latch, which I like...A LOT!!

Had a quick go with one at the Bash, but far too brief to make a proper, informed judgment.

Guessing here that it's well enough built and solidly and precisely engineered so for now I've got to say, "What's not to like?".

Excuse the pun, but most probably the bargain gun of the Century!!!
    Last edited by TonyL; 23-07-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Bargain!!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Question

has anyone bought one yet ?

I'm all up in the air do I wait to see how the gamo coyote or the walther rotex fair (I know the other two are pcp but )

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

Had a quick go with one at the Bash, but far too brief to make a proper, informed judgment.

Guessing here that it's well enough built and solidly and precisely engineered so for now I've got to say, "What's not to like?".

BIB: the review in "Airgunner" magazine says the trigger, the trigger guard and trigger housing are all of some kind of plastic/synthetic material and that the former, the trigger blade, is "made of plastic for safety reasons."

Anyone know what they are?

I'm interested in the Century if anyone can fill in some blanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post

Any feedback from people who've bought them to shoot of the shelf, not from people who take things to bits to re engineer them please ??
    You can get the Challenger for another £20 or so. For about £350 you can get the Competition Ultra these days. Of course you won't get the cheap scope and mounts with either of these alternatives, but so what? I'm sure they're seviceable (not sure about the mounts) but you'd probably want something better.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post

I'm more wary because of the included scope etc..... after all nothing is free in reality and I'd prefer they dropped supposed freebies and aimed to get closer to the 99s or 280 price point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sprog View Post
    BIB: the review in "Airgunner" magazine says the trigger, the trigger guard and trigger housing are all of some kind of plastic/synthetic material and that the former, the trigger blade, is "made of plastic for safety reasons."

Anyone know what they are?

I'm interested in the Century if anyone can fill in some blanks.
    its got the German spec trigger, plastic so the weight does not aid inertia in the drop test ...easy swap to the metal blade, BUT for what you are paying extra you may as well buy an LGV

The trigger blade is not the same as the Ultra or LGV Master it feels like alloy but is hard to tell for sure it seems pressed as it is not solid.Sorry can't be more helpful .
    My verdict is its good buy for the price i like it but if you wanting a main user gun then go for the LGV Master or if can stretch to the Ultra that would be first choice.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    The trigger blade is not the same as the Ultra or LGV Master it feels like alloy but is hard to tell for sure it seems pressed as it is not solid.Sorry can't be more helpful .
    My verdict is its good buy for the price i like it but if you wanting a main user gun then go for the LGV Master or if can stretch to the Ultra that would be first choice.
    The DE spec LGV has a plastic blade, i have one here, it has 1 adjustment screw and not the 2 the metal blade has,I suspect the Century just uses the plastic blade to keep the cost down.

If im honest the feel of the plastic blade is really not bad, and one could mod the blade to have 2 screws if you really wanted. The plastic is not to givey so feels ok on the pull.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    The DE spec LGV has a plastic blade, i have one here, it has 1 adjustment screw and not the 2 the metal blade has,I suspect the Century just uses the plastic blade to keep the cost down.

If im honest the feel of the plastic blade is really not bad, and one could mod the blade to have 2 screws if you really wanted. The plastic is not to givey so feels ok on the pull.
    I hope you are wrong about this. Everything I've read says it's a 2 'adjustment' trigger, the manual, the Umarex site, even the review mentioned above shows photographs of a trigger guard with 2 holes and the appropriate screws beneath.

I believe a metal trigger blade is an optional extra or post-sale upgrade if you feel the need. I think the Century has a lot going for it, it reminds me of a modern version of the HW35, German, barrel catch, 30mm piston, 2 'adjustment' trigger ... I'm cautiously optimistic.

Hopefully the delrin ring on the rear of the piston works OK so you probably won't have to 'tune' it.

Bigtoe, thanks for the reply

[edit: appologies for (mis)using the term "2 stage trigger" when I meant a trigger unit with 2 adjustments. I am suitable contrite]
    Last edited by Sprog; 25-09-2014 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Clumsy terminology

I've had a good look at the trigger & guard,the guard is same as the LGV & Ultra so alloy.The trigger blade has one adjusting screw for travel not two like the LGV & LGU It has the same screw for weight as the LGV & LGU.So the blade must be plastic it feels not bad as Tony said.
    Only had a hand full of shots the first was very loud with plenty of smoke if it persists it will need looking at.The fore end screws are button instead of the chunky cap heads its smooth on cocking a little harder than the Ultra & LGU,over all seems well built but you can tell its not an Ultra.

I've had a good look at the trigger & guard,the guard is same as the LGV & Ultra so alloy.The trigger blade has one adjusting screw for travel not two like the LGV & LGU It has the same screw for weight as the LGV & LGU.So the blade must be plastic it feels not bad as Tony said.
    Only had a hand full of shots the first was very loud with plenty of smoke if it persists it will need looking at.The fore end screws are button instead of the chunky cap heads its smooth on cocking a little harder than the Ultra & LGU,over all seems well built but you can tell its not an Ultra.
    there you go..the LGV german spec trigger unit is used, just a plastic blade with 1 screw...the metal one is 18euro + shipping

Ah so that where the [probably my] confusion lies. So LMick, just so I have this straight, you say the all-metal XM trigger unit, as found in an untouched LGU/LGV, has 3 adjustments? I take it they are for 'travel', 'weight' and 'Let Off Point'? Or has your example had the tuning trigger upgrade?

And the Century unit has only 2 adjustments, for travel & weight? Although this is upgradable using the 'Pro Metal Tuning Trigger' which will provide a 3rd adjustment for 'Let Off Point'?

I have a few more Qs if anyone can help:

Will a full-spec, metal-housing XM trigger unit from a LGV/LGU simply swap over to the Century to replace the plastic-housed unit?

Any idea of what or how the piston made up? Is it a pressed steel tube crimped to attach fittings? or is it a steel tube that's been machined?

Incidentally, any idea if a HW35 piston will work in it?

Speaking of the HW35, as soon as I saw the Century I thought of the 35. Will someone comment on whether Walther/Umarex have copied or 'taken inspiration from' the HW35? For a gun that's been in production longer than I've lived, Walther could have done a lot worse.

Sorry for the numerous questions... and thank you for earlier answers
    Last edited by Sprog; 25-09-2014 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Clarification

you do not change the whole trigger unit, you just add the blade...18euro+ shipping

hw35 piston = no worky

The Century is just an LGV action, no sights, no 30 to 25mm sleeve internally...so it uses a different piston with bearings and a 30mm dia seal.

So...Century = HW35
    LGV = HW80 Lazaglide

its that simple