Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Walther Century ??

Quote Originally Posted by Sprog View Post
    Apparently the importer here, Armex, asked for a metal triggers to be fitted to the LGV as standard.
    aye they did, end users can fit it onto their own guns in Germany however as sold the gun has to pass the drop test, hence they get the plastic one.

Nice gun

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    These look like a good buy ????

OK they have 30mm piston, that doesn't bother me

so for £270 / £280 quid you get a synthetic bearing piston with properly fitting spring and guides

Any feedback from people who've bought them to shoot of the shelf, not from people who take things to bits to re engineer them please ??
    I have one in 22, now I've got used to the recoil I love it', and it's accurate great value to, the scope does the job. Get one you won't be disappointed.

My brother has bought the Centuary and fires it standard. He is very pleased with it. When I shot it I found it to be very accurate, but the recoil was a little snappy for me. However that is comparing it to my short stroked TX200 so hardly a fair comparison.
    "Walk softly, but carry a big stick"

I got one in 0.177 to compare with the HW80. It ws a bit harsh and twangy before I sorted it. Now it shoots very well and smooth as silk but still not a patch on a sorted HW80 (except of course for the barrel catch!). On the surface, one helluva rifle for the money but the comparison with the HW80- notwithstanding, I don't like the fact that the cocking mechanism is held in place by the stock! Just me being picky!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by TopDog View Post
    I got one in 0.177 to compare with the HW80. It ws a bit harsh and twangy before I sorted it. Now it shoots very well and smooth as silk but still not a patch on a sorted HW80 (except of course for the barrel catch!). On the surface, one helluva rifle for the money but the comparison with the HW80- notwithstanding, I don't like the fact that the cocking mechanism is held in place by the stock! Just me being picky!

atvb
    David
    Do you have any info on why Walther fit a plastic trigger in America and other countries, is it because of a drop test like bigtoe says in post 8 in this thread.
    I have been trying to get some info about the drop test but not had much luck yet and would like to clear it up one way or the other as it suggests that the Walther triggers with the metal triggers are not as safe as the plastic ones.

Here is a quote from a magazine.

In America, and some other countries, all new guns have to pass a drop test, in which they’re loaded and then dropped from a certain height onto a solid floor. To pass the test they must not fire. Setting the pull weight of the trigger really high will help, but make the rifle horrible to shoot, so the other option is to make the trigger blade as light as possible. You’ll notice from the pictures that the blade also has holes in it to lighten it further. The less mass the trigger blade has, the less likely it is to fire the rifle as it’s dropped. The polymer used is plenty stiff enough to offer a precise release, so no control is being lost. Gamo fitted their SAT2 (Smooth Action Trigger) trigger assembly which worked well, and offered a clean, predictable release straight from the box.

Here is the link, scroll down a bit
    http://www.airgunshooting.co.uk/expe...pain_1_3848284

I notice that the other top triggers HW/Diana and AirArms fit metal triggers in all countries so why would Walther bother with two triggers unless it is to do with the drop test.

Got one in .177 initially for paper punching which suddenly exploded into FT and bunny bashing work! In fact I did a review on the old Youtube as it's never really sold to you favouring the Terrus...But...No scope and simple springer tech...and up to £240!!! do the math against the Century - its Walthers underdog IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-IcQp_mg3I

It's a solid rifle and makes me better myself as it's weighty and kicks quite hard in the shoulder - I found that when I practiced standing, kneeling etc (FT work) when I went out on my permission the AA410 (my sporter) was so light and numb it made things very simple, especially once the early nights crept in and the lamp went on. (Pity the persistent trespassing prickly dog walker was not as simple!). The Walther is my main practice rifle and used more than the other two (Remington Express AR1 .22 (my FT rifle) and AAS410 Classic .177). I have tried many other springers like the Wierauch under-levers etc and found it on par with the best of them. For £270 with the slip, scope and pellets with the tech principles of the LGV and LGU albeit cruder. The scope is great for the price and good for 40m before I get hold over guess work issues which is why I got the AA410. I still have the rifle in boxed form - no mods, and it is so accurate. I could leave it alone...but...

My gripes - XM single screw trigger - not the fact its composite just that it needs the second screw so your not shy on the trigger. You either get light with creep or hard with no creep. Rowan do nice 2 screw for the LGV/U. From the pics on the internet some variants of the LGV/U have the single screw trigger so it should fit. If this rifle packs in then I'm going LGU anyway so I can recycle the trigger. That's about it really...

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Do you have any info on why Walther fit a plastic trigger in America and other countries, is it because of a drop test like bigtoe says in post 8 in this thread.
    I have been trying to get some info about the drop test but not had much luck yet and would like to clear it up one way or the other as it suggests that the Walther triggers with the metal triggers are not as safe as the plastic ones.

Here is a quote from a magazine.

In America, and some other countries, all new guns have to pass a drop test, in which they’re loaded and then dropped from a certain height onto a solid floor. To pass the test they must not fire. Setting the pull weight of the trigger really high will help, but make the rifle horrible to shoot, so the other option is to make the trigger blade as light as possible. You’ll notice from the pictures that the blade also has holes in it to lighten it further. The less mass the trigger blade has, the less likely it is to fire the rifle as it’s dropped. The polymer used is plenty stiff enough to offer a precise release, so no control is being lost. Gamo fitted their SAT2 (Smooth Action Trigger) trigger assembly which worked well, and offered a clean, predictable release straight from the box.

Here is the link, scroll down a bit
    http://www.airgunshooting.co.uk/expe...pain_1_3848284

I notice that the other top triggers HW/Diana and AirArms fit metal triggers in all countries so why would Walther bother with two triggers unless it is to do with the drop test.
    Sorry; no idea personally. I will sell mine since I think (barrel latch notwithstanding) a well sorted HW80 beats it into a cocked hat. Walther too late again! Didn't like the LGV I shot either (although loved my old LGV!), nor the LGU recently. Shame really since out of the box fit and finish is very good! Century piston is too short (or the supplied main guide too short) which leaves the spring unsupported in the "buckle zone".

As I said before, just me being very picky!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Now up to about 3000 pellets through this rifle. Its had some mods done to it in December (new seal and squared and ground the main spring) as was a loopy trajectory. Now really flat. The scope has started to loose zero I'm sad to say. I am eyeing up a Nikko 4-12 atm. Still groups sub 20mm considering the jumping zero.
    Air Arms S410F Classic .177 (AGS 6-24x50 SFIR), Walther Rotex RM8 Black .22 (Hawke Vantage 3-12x50 AO IR), Walther Century .177 (Walther ZF 6x42 AO, BKL one piece mount), Remington Express AR1 .22 (AGS 6-24x50 SFIR, BKL one piece mount ss),

century

Had the opportunity to shoot a new .22 one off the rack at the local shop about a week ago. had about 50 shots through it. very smooth on cocking and ok to shoot other than it dieseled the whole 50 shots. chronoed it after the 50 shots with 3 different pellets and the best it made was 10.5 ft/lbs and the lowest 9.5.
    The fit and finish of the rifle is good. Trigger feels loose/ floppy when not cocked.
    The scope on the combo offer is a cheap one with a not so nice reticle that wouldn't stay on long or the mounts if I had one.
    The price this was offered to me at was very hard to resist as i had the money in my pocket.

what put me off ??

mainly the weight. felt very very front heavy and not as well balanced as my 80 and certainly heavier overall than the 80.
    like said previously by someone. its 30 years too late .
    B.A.S.C. member

I've owned a .177 century for a year and very pleased with it. In that time I've sold a lgu and a terrus and bought another terrus for my son. Had them all in bits due to badly chopped Spring causing damage internally. The century runs at 11.7, snappy recoil as you would expect from a .177 but heavy enough to absorb. Long first stage but crisp trigger. Looks and feels quality. Internally better than terrus and better value than anything around the £260 mark. Only used mine at the club, would find it a bit heavy for field work. Saying all that I will probably sell it as I prefer older guns!

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    These look like a good buy ????

OK they have 30mm piston, that doesn't bother me

so for £270 / £280 quid you get a synthetic bearing piston with properly fitting spring and guides
    Any feedback from people who've bought them to shoot of the shelf, not from people who take things to bits to re engineer them please ??
    That's if it hasn't got one of those awful chopped down springs with the unfinished end that these walthers seem to be leaving the factory with.So if you buy one you'll best be advised to strip it and check before it starts gouging out the spring guide seat or inside of the piston.