Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap, decent, air rifle?

Cheap, decent, air rifle?

OK, OK, In know the rules about getting what you pay for, buy cheap buy twice, all of that. But, having been away from buying air rifles for a good while, it seems to me as I look around that the division between cheap and expensive air rifles is growing. But is there a decent, fun, well put together, accurate, reliable, air rifle on the market?

There's plenty but depends what you consider cheap . A used rifle that's been looked after will normally be better value than new in the same price range, a used rifle of decent quality will outlast a cheaply made new one, plenty of used HW's etc out there that are built to last a lifetime along with British made Webleys and BSA's,
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Short of £200+ for an HW99, the only new rifle I'd recommend is the Hatsan 55/60s. Very good vfm gun. If it were me I'd save a bot more though.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Yes ,up to £200 for a new rifle the Hatsan 55s(.177) or the Hatsan 60s(.22) is the best value rifle to buy.I've got both the 55s & 60s , you get a sound well made rifle with a walnut stock and decent open sights,if you've not got a scope to start wth and importantly a very good trigger.They do tend to come a bit dry from the factory,like most new guns, so I removed the action from the stock and introduced a couple of drops of lube to the inside of the cylinder and applied a bit of grease to the spring both through the cocking slot to make it a bit smoother.Once they've settled down and you've found the right pellet they shoot well.For £200 you should be able to get the rifle,a scope, mounts some pellets.
    Last edited by Patrick 2; 24-07-2014 at 11:49 AM.

My 2p worth

my smk qb78 is a very able gun as long as you don't mind buying co2 capsules.

Get them for less than hundred quid and is very accurate

Most sub hundred quid springers I've had are not too good though.
    Last edited by M4tth3w; 24-07-2014 at 09:13 PM.

I agree with the above posts. Hatsan 55s or 60s are good value for money at a little over £100, and the QB/XS78 is a cracking little co2 rifle for similar money.

Ok so the 55s and the 60s may need a good lube to smooth them out, but I have done that to my TX200, Hw97k and HW95k, so nothing new there.

As for the QB/XS78, I recently bought one as a fun project gun and was amazed at the vfm. £99 for the gun, I have spent a whole £9.95 on it for some decent seals and a replacement bolt kit. It was 8ftlb new and with very little tinkering it now sits at 10.5ftlb and accuracy is "spot on", if thats not cheap I dont know what is

I played with a Hatsan last year and it was nice enough, so if you want new the advice above looks good (and for the QB78 if CO2 is your thing).

However, I would go second hand; I got myself a cosmetically rough but functionally fine FWB Sport 127 off here for £145 posted, and it shoots wonderfully. Look out for a HW35 too, they come up frequently and can be had for not too much.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkormat View Post
    I played with a Hatsan last year and it was nice enough, so if you want new the advice above looks good (and for the QB78 if CO2 is your thing).

However, I would go second hand; I got myself a cosmetically rough but functionally fine FWB Sport 127 off here for £145 posted, and it shoots wonderfully. Look out for a HW35 too, they come up frequently and can be had for not too much.

Matt
    As per this.

Also, assuming we're talking sporting / general use air rifles, although I have no personal experience of them, we could add to the list the Webley Valuemax, the Baikal break barrels and some of the SMK offerings.

As above, the HW35, an elegant (behave, Tinsters!), solidly engineered and accurate rifle can often be had for not a lot of money. My very tatty one cost me the grand sum of £30, but then had to spend a little.
    I bought a hardly used, totally as new one form a BBS member back in December 2012 for £160,
    And a very, very nice 99S last Summer, again from a nice BBS member, for just £130.
    Oh, yes, and a very, very tidy HW30S recently, complete with scope for £100. Not a powerhouse, admitted, but a superbly engineered, quality light to middleweight with superb accuracy and firing manners.

And even new, quality rifles can be had for not much over £200 - the HW99S and Walther Terrus.

And I don't know if McAvoy's are still doing the Diana 280 complete with scope for about £220?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

if you can find a cz salvia 634 for about £140 go for it ,some rfd ask £195 for them witch put them on the wrong side of cheap / good but there very underated
    atb john
    ATB JOHN
    hw 100, hw80 mk1, smk xs20, bsa scorpion pistol, feinwerkbau 127, hw99s

There is a Diana 280 in the sales section. About a year old and sounds very, very nice.

£165!

Sounds like an excellent buy to me.....wished I hadn't looked!

Just to be clear, I do not know the vendor and have absolutely no connection whatsoever.....just thought that if the OP wanted to buy a quality German springer at budget gun money, this sounds tempting?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.

I started out with an SMK XS20 and still have it, I still take it out occasionally and enjoy firing it. I also had a Hatsan 60S but prefer the SMK> I'd recommend it but I hear they have done something with the trigger to keep production costs down and its lowered the performance

Bluesboydave

What ever you buy, make sure it has a good trigger unit, everything else can be sorted easily, but a bad trigger will limit the gun, Hatsan 55, with the quarto trigger is very good. When fettled the SMK XS 19 is excellent, but you have to mod the trigger which is horrible as standard.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    There is a Diana 280 in the sales section. About a year old and sounds very, very nice.

£165!

Sounds like an excellent buy to me.....wished I hadn't looked!

Just to be clear, I do not know the vendor and have absolutely no connection whatsoever.....just thought that if the OP wanted to buy a quality German springer at budget gun money, this sounds tempting?
    Can't believe it's not sold yet!

Diana 280

Weren't these for sale at a really good price from a dealer in Cheshire - the name has slipped my memory,

anyone remember?

The Brocock range look pretty good for the money, i like the super 6 compact version elite