Thread: the "BIG CHIEF" Air - Gun

the "BIG CHIEF" Air - Gun

I am seeking information on behalf of an elderly friend on the Produsit "BIG CHIEF" Airgun. He has two in what he describes as salvageable condition; and likely so as he is more than capable.
    Is anyone familiar with these pieces?
    I have been digging about and the name Produsit comes up as Toolmakers and Engineers in Birmingham; are they linked to these airguns??
    When I get to visit him next I will take some images and post here for your interest.
    In the meantime I will keep looking....

Thank you ladies, gentlemen and others

Edit. I found some info at Trevors' Airgun Scrapbook. Thanks Trevor
    Last edited by slow_runner; 24-07-2014 at 05:18 AM.

Hello,

The 'Big Chief' is a much rarer version of the 'Thunderbolt Junior' grip-cocking, concentric air pistol identical in operation to the earlier German Tell 2.

The pistols were made by Produsit (Birmingham) between 1947 and 1949 under an agreement with Frank Clarke who patented the design. Approximately 8000 'Thunderbolt Juniors' were produced. Reference sources suggest that a small number were marketed by Frank Clarke (Lead Products) as the 'Big Chief'. According to The Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols (John Griffiths) only two examples have come to light, both in New Zealand.

If the pistols are indeed the 'Big Chief' variant, they will be marked as such on the breech closure plate (just below the rear site) and would represent an important find.

The 'Thunderbolt Junior' just bears a Pat No impressed into the breech closure plate with no name.

Please keep us updated when you actually see the pistols.

I believe there was also a tin plate, junior rifle marketed by Produsit around the same time which also used the 'Big Chief' name, but unfortunately I don't really know too much about that particular product.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 24-07-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Your message inbox is full.

Big Chief no sh*t is a very fine old joke.
    Never heard of the airguns tho!

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Big Chief no sh*t is a very fine old joke.
    Never heard of the airguns tho!
    I had an air rifle that was either called a Big Chief or Indian Chief, I'm pretty certain though that it was a Big Chief. This was bought for me as a Christmas present when I was nine years old back in 1952 from a store in Barnsley called Reynolds & Wadsworths, they were actually very good tool and hardware store situated at the bottom of Market Hill in Barnsley.

Fond memories

Chippendale (with clothes on)

Thanks Brian.
    We might be half way up the garden path due to my description 'airgun'. To be clearer I am told they are the rifle version.
    The inbox is sorted now Epicyclic

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Thanks Brian.
    We might be half way up the garden path due to my description 'airgun'. To be clearer I am told they are the rifle version.
    The inbox is sorted now Epicyclic
    Hi,

I have found out a little bit more about the 'Big Chief' air rifle from an early Airgunner magazine

Produsit who were based at 78, Lombard Street,Birmingham and Robert Edward Hicks, took out a patent for the 'Big Chief' shoulder air gun in 1948. The subject being a simplified air gun cheap to manufacture and efficient,the full length of the body formed as a single drawn metal tube with its larger diameter rear portion forming the air chamber, with a detachable 'shot tube' and simplified trigger guard. The patent was applied for on 23rd December 1948 and granted on 13th February 1952. The 'shot tube' was removed for loading with a cup slug, dart or lead ball. The muzzle end of the false barrel (or outer tube) has a knurled muzzle cap that carries the foresight on the top and a fastening at the bottom to engage a bayonet slot at the end of the barrel housing. The earlier production of the 'Thunderbolt Junior /Big Chief air pistol probably prompted Produsit to make a shoulder gun. There may have been several examples of this rifle which were identical except for name, and were sold by dealers under their own names

The Airgunner article features such an example sold by Abbey Alert under the trade name 'British Abbey'. I haven't come across any Big Chief air rifle in the UK and wonder if as with the pistol bearing the same name, most were destined for New Zealand.

It would be nice to see a couple of pictures of the rifle if you get the opportunity.

Regards

Brian

That is a terrific background piece Brian, thanks for your efforts. The bayonet fitting was mentioned to me, and it has some sort of interlock that prevents cocking or firring until fully assembled?
    I haven't been able to get my head around that imagery so I am curious to see them too. I am visiting him next week and will be sure to take some images and post here.
    Thanks again.

PS perhaps it is the same Produsit toolmaking and engineering company that trades from Birmingham today?
    Last edited by slow_runner; 25-07-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Images

Here are the images of the two Big Chiefs. One has a non original stock and has been assembled at some point using nails as rivets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps0d056e26.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps0a334dc6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psc1a671b1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by slow_runner View Post
    Here are the images of the two Big Chiefs. One has a non original stock and has been assembled at some point using nails as rivets.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps0d056e26.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps0a334dc6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psc1a671b1.jpg
    Hi,

Thanks for sharing the pictures of the 'Big Chief' with us. One of our members ('Micky') has one of the few examples I have heard of in the UK. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you were to contact him via a PM and possibly compare notes.

Regards

Brian

Some pics of Big Chief guns under 'Produsit' here.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Big Chief

Hi I have one of these airguns, it has the Indian transfer on the stock also has a "sort of " blued finish on the metal work, may have had cold blue rubbed on it but not sure, had it for about 20 years there have been a couple of articles in Airgunner, Feb 1991 and Sept 2010.
    Thanks Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by vintagewebleyman View Post
    Hi I have one of these airguns, it has the Indian transfer on the stock also has a "sort of " blued finish on the metal work, may have had cold blue rubbed on it but not sure, had it for about 20 years there have been a couple of articles in Airgunner, Feb 1991 and Sept 2010.
    Thanks Paul.
    Paul can you email me over a close up of the Indian transfer for the gallery, please? Some transfers seem to be missing or incomplete. I remember John Atkins posting pics of an unused Big Chief shoulder gun in his 2010 Air Gunner article. A very colourful Indian headdress!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Big Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Paul can you email me over a close up of the Indian transfer for the gallery, please? Some transfers seem to be missing or incomplete. I remember John Atkins posting pics of an unused Big Chief shoulder gun in his 2010 Air Gunner article. A very colourful Indian headdress!
    Hi Garvin, I have tried to send you a couple of pics, hope you get them!
    Thanks Paul.