Thread: the "BIG CHIEF" Air - Gun

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

the "BIG CHIEF" Air - Gun

I am seeking information on behalf of an elderly friend on the Produsit "BIG CHIEF" Airgun. He has two in what he describes as salvageable condition; and likely so as he is more than capable.
    Is anyone familiar with these pieces?
    I have been digging about and the name Produsit comes up as Toolmakers and Engineers in Birmingham; are they linked to these airguns??
    When I get to visit him next I will take some images and post here for your interest.
    In the meantime I will keep looking....

Thank you ladies, gentlemen and others

Edit. I found some info at Trevors' Airgun Scrapbook. Thanks Trevor
    Last edited by slow_runner; 24-07-2014 at 05:18 AM.

Hello,

The 'Big Chief' is a much rarer version of the 'Thunderbolt Junior' grip-cocking, concentric air pistol identical in operation to the earlier German Tell 2.

The pistols were made by Produsit (Birmingham) between 1947 and 1949 under an agreement with Frank Clarke who patented the design. Approximately 8000 'Thunderbolt Juniors' were produced. Reference sources suggest that a small number were marketed by Frank Clarke (Lead Products) as the 'Big Chief'. According to The Encyclopedia of Spring Air Pistols (John Griffiths) only two examples have come to light, both in New Zealand.

If the pistols are indeed the 'Big Chief' variant, they will be marked as such on the breech closure plate (just below the rear site) and would represent an important find.

The 'Thunderbolt Junior' just bears a Pat No impressed into the breech closure plate with no name.

Please keep us updated when you actually see the pistols.

I believe there was also a tin plate, junior rifle marketed by Produsit around the same time which also used the 'Big Chief' name, but unfortunately I don't really know too much about that particular product.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 24-07-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Your message inbox is full.

Big Chief no sh*t is a very fine old joke.
    Never heard of the airguns tho!

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Big Chief no sh*t is a very fine old joke.
    Never heard of the airguns tho!
    I had an air rifle that was either called a Big Chief or Indian Chief, I'm pretty certain though that it was a Big Chief. This was bought for me as a Christmas present when I was nine years old back in 1952 from a store in Barnsley called Reynolds & Wadsworths, they were actually very good tool and hardware store situated at the bottom of Market Hill in Barnsley.

Fond memories

Chippendale (with clothes on)

Thanks Brian.
    We might be half way up the garden path due to my description 'airgun'. To be clearer I am told they are the rifle version.
    The inbox is sorted now Epicyclic