Thread: Any members in Stornoway?

Any members in Stornoway?

I have a vague memory that there's been a post on here in the fairly recent past from the Isle of Lewis. If I've remembered correctly and such a person should happen to see this I'd like to know if Sinclairs Emporium still exists. My pal is planning to grind corn with a Bentall Mill but the grinding face on his mill is worn out. He remembers going to Stornoway for some vintage Albion bits years ago and thinks Sinclairs would be the right sort of place to stock Bentall bits having drawn a blank with all the usual suspects.

We mourn the passing of 'proper' ironmongers where a man in a brown stores coat would take your order before disappearing for 10 minutes. On his return he'd wrap your goods in brown paper or even newspaper and ring the sale up on a chromed brass National cash register. There'd invariably be a rack of guns for sale in the window.

Those were the days,
    ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    I have a vague memory that there's been a post on here in the fairly recent past from the Isle of Lewis. If I've remembered correctly and such a person should happen to see this I'd like to know if Sinclairs Emporium still exists. My pal is planning to grind corn with a Bentall Mill but the grinding face on his mill is worn out. He remembers going to Stornoway for some vintage Albion bits years ago and thinks Sinclairs would be the right sort of place to stock Bentall bits having drawn a blank with all the usual suspects.

We mourn the passing of 'proper' ironmongers where a man in a brown stores coat would take your order before disappearing for 10 minutes. On his return he'd wrap your goods in brown paper or even newspaper and ring the sale up on a chromed brass National cash register. There'd invariably be a rack of guns for sale in the window.

Those were the days,
    ATVB, Mick
    Don't know about Stornoway but the wee store in Tarbert Harris has got "fork 'andles"!!
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    Don't know about Stornoway but the wee store in Tarbert Harris has got "fork 'andles"!!
    Are you sure the tree fellers from another joke didn't buy most of them?

ATVB, Mick

Quote Originally Posted by DedIdick View Post
    I took the above at face value, found the store on the web and rang them. They're clean out of Bentall bits but want to know if you're the one that's been ringing to see if they've got any 'O's!

ATVB, Mick

The first sentence above is true. They also very kindly offered to put an ad in the shop window for me. Wasn't that a bit of brilliant service? Long may they prosper. Although they didn't know if Sinclairs are still on the go.

Any members in Stornaway

Try hebhaggis I am sure he's from up that way.

Thanks Steve

Be patient the internet is slow up that way

Quote Originally Posted by kemik View Post
    Try hebhaggis I am sure he's from up that way.

Thanks Steve

Be patient the internet is slow up that way
    Thanks for that. I've sent him a PM and sat back to wait.

ATVB, Mick

This has now resolved itself. My pal's now 'remembered' that it wasn't Lewis he visited but Orkney and it transpires that it wasn't Sinclairs but St. Clairs. So a simple Google search in the right direction has now provided a phone no.

Thanks to all who helped, Mick

St. Clair's shut down a few years back, they were bought out by HIS & moved to a new location at Hatson Industrial estate. They have a well stocked agricultural section but I don't know if they keep any spares for obsolete farming equipment, a lot of that was probably lost when they moved - it won't hurt to ask though.

It could be worth contacting a shop in Kirkwall called Shearers as well, much more the traditional ironmongers & they do have a lot of obscure stuff in odd corners. Since he became the local RFD he's set up a website now which is handy: http://www.williamshearer.co.uk/index.php