Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 22 or 20

Zero a .25 using FTT' at 10 yards and your are within a pellets width from 6 to 24 yards and it definitely hits harder than all the others I've tried on rats.

Zero a .177 at 35 to 37 yards and you are within "bunny brain" POI from 10 to 40 odd.

That does mean two guns to cover close and far.

I guess if I had to use one then it might, just might, be a .20 but only if rabbits were not on the menu very often and rats were, otherwise...well probably .177
    I think and therefore...... I refuse to steal someone else's quote to try to sound more erudite or profound than I actually am.

neil9629 is offline Holds the family record for most pencils nicked from Argos
    Quote Originally Posted by angrybear View Post
    But neither does it have the faults or draw backs of either, in order to be flat .177 is too light to deliver much energy while in order to hit hard .22 is heavy with loopy trajectory.

That's the whole point, at sub 12 with every cal there is a compromise, one extreme is good but at the other extreme it is very poor

.20 happily sails right down the middle being quite good at everything, but rubbish at nothing, frankly someone would need to be a proper Forrest Gump not to see it.
    Utter tosh

.20 is for those who know .177 is gay, and just haven't quite mastered
    shooting enough to feel confident with the best calibre.
    Don't blame me, I voted UKIP.

<Goes off to develop a .223 air rifle just to mix things up a bit>

"Performance" is a vague question OP, what specifically were you thinking of?

For a given power, a heavier pellet will have a lower velocity and will have a more pronounced arc. In terms of stopping power, a headshot from .177 to .25 will all give the same result.

But neither does it have the faults or draw backs of either, in order to be flat .177 is too light to deliver much energy while in order to hit hard .22 is heavy with loopy trajectory.

That's the whole point, at sub 12 with every cal there is a compromise, one extreme is good but at the other extreme it is very poor

.20 happily sails right down the middle being quite good at everything, but rubbish at nothing, frankly someone would need to be a proper Forrest Gump not to see it.
    Good point my friend, I've often considered getting a .20 and as it's easy enough to convert my 95k I think it's something I might try next !...

It's ok at everything, but great at nothing.

I'm a big believer than a calibre is there to fit a job, and there's not necessarily a right answer.

IMHO....

Ratting/Short range vermin - .25
    Short/Mid range pest control (e.g. pigeons in a barn) - .22
    Rabbiting - .177 (headshots are kindest and save the meat, so doesn't matter what size the hole is!)
    HFT - .177 (unless you're a masochist, in which case go for .30 :lol

Well put Smallholder...

.20 - ok at lots, great at little.... I like that and agree although I limit to close and not close.

That all said, I might buy a .20 simply to have all four cals in the cabinet
    I think and therefore...... I refuse to steal someone else's quote to try to sound more erudite or profound than I actually am.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ6357 View Post
    Zero a .25 using FTT' at 10 yards and your are within a pellets width from 6 to 24 yards and it definitely hits harder than all the others I've tried on rats.

Zero a .177 at 35 to 37 yards and you are within "bunny brain" POI from 10 to 40 odd.

That does mean two guns to cover close and far.

I guess if I had to use one then it might, just might, be a .20 but only if rabbits were not on the menu very often and rats were, otherwise...well probably .177
    .20 zeroed at 34yds gives 9 to 39yds +/- .5", so perfect for rabbits, , if I expect to shoot 40yds plus then I take either FAC air .25 or a rimfire.

To me .177 should remain on the target range where it wins hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Gay!
    Nahhh we just like the same size hole!!
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Speaking from previous experience of the 'great calibre wars' on here, most people who disparage .20 have never shot it and just quote theory and heresay. Those who have tried it mostly seem to 'get it' - it just works and it appears that most .20 calibre guns haven't read the relevant theory posts on here.

Years ago I had a walnut stocked Theoben Evo in .20. It was a cracking, really versatile gun (though it had a crap trigger until I fettled it and even then it was still fairly crap but you learned to shoot round it - but not the fault of the calibre). I almost wish I still had it (although with the demise of Theoben, I'm glad I sold it when I did).

To the OP, I'd say try and have a go of a couple of .20 cal guns before making your mind up, you may be pleasantly surprised...

If u want a proper hunting rifle that will do anything u ask it 2..look know further than a .20 rapid...find the right ammo for it and u will have a devastating rifle
    Theoben rapid mk2 .20 devastating for bunnies who have paranoia !!!

Theoben TTR1 >Deadly

[QUOTE=angrybear;6429568].20 zeroed at 34yds gives 9 to 39yds +/- .5", so perfect for rabbits, , if I expect to shoot 40yds plus then I take either FAC air .25 or a rimfire.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Speaking from previous experience of the 'great calibre wars' on here, most people who disparage .20 have never shot it and just quote theory and heresay. Those who have tried it mostly seem to 'get it' - it just works and it appears that most .20 calibre guns haven't read the relevant theory posts on here.

^^^^This^^^^

To the OP, I'd say try and have a go of a couple of .20 cal guns before making your mind up, you may be pleasantly surprised...
    ^^^^This^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper007 View Post
    If u want a proper hunting rifle that will do anything u ask it 2..look know further than a .20 rapid...find the right ammo for it and u will have a devastating rifle
    ^^^^This^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    Nahhh we just like the same size hole!!
    ^^^^Eeewwww!!!!^^^^

ATB. Hal.