Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 or 20

Quote Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
    ...because it takes quite some time to predict/calculate distance, wind speed and hold over/under to place any pellet in the spot you want it to go. And that includes familiarity with trigger release. if you have three different rifles shooting three different calibres then the process will take three times longer if you wish to be proficient and competent to take standing, kneeling and prone position shooting when out in the field.

As for my preference? 0.20 all the way.
    Only three calibers.

Those days are long gone for me.

243,223,.17hmr,22lr, 2x FAC air .22 &.25, sub12 .177, .20, .22.
    And yes many hours needed spending with them to learn their aim points and I have to say I loved every minute of it.
    I'm looking forward to getting a .20 on FAC to set up as a dedicated NV rifle.

ATB. Hal.

Lightbulb

I recon the "beware the man with one gun" statement has got a real swing, so why not buy a gun where there are readily available barrels you can chop in or out until you find your preference of caliber. A hw90/98/95/80/85 is a great place to start I recon.
    This way you can keep exactly the rifle you know with the scope you know and really see the difference that the caliber makes, without huge cost or any real loss in skill when swapping....,

I'd also like to add that falcon acc+ in .22 are 13.43grns.. only 2grns heavier than 11.4grn ftt's. That isn't a huge difference by all accounts......

Learn your caliber its all that matters really.
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

I'd also like to add that falcon acc+ in .22 are 13.43grns.. only 2grns heavier than 11.4grn ftt's. That isn't a huge difference by all accounts......

Learn your caliber its all that matters really.[/QUOTE]

And that my friend is the whole sub12 caliber discussion wrapped up in two short sentences.

ATB. Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    I recon the "beware the man with one gun" statement has got a real swing, so why not buy a gun where there are readily available barrels you can chop in or out until you find your preference of caliber. A hw90/98/95/80/85 is a great place to start I recon.
    This way you can keep exactly the rifle you know with the scope you know and really see the difference that the caliber makes, without huge cost or any real loss in skill when swapping....,

Learn your caliber its all that matters really.
    Big difference on the receiving end from my experience .in favour of 20 cal

Quote Originally Posted by PCPShooter View Post
    Big difference on the receiving end from my experience .in favour of 20 cal
    Did the wabbits tell you so??
    I guess if you shoot 20 cal it would.,

"corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

Good to see this debate still rages strongly!

I regularly used to get involved when I had my .20 Theoben Evo years ago - it looks like nothing much has changed apart from the people shouting from either side of their fences

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Good to see this debate still rages strongly!

I regularly used to get involved when I had my .20 Theoben Evo years ago - it looks like nothing much has changed apart from the people shouting from either side of their fences
    I swear all "which caliber" threads are boredom related. I just thought it was nice to see the BEST sub12 caliber get a mention. .20.

Taking cover smiley needed.

ATB. Hal.

The biggest advantage of the .20 cal is it's limited pellet choice, all are well made and of good quality. With the .20 cal available there is only 3 grains difference in weight , therefore making it easier to set your gun to the higher power levels 12 ft/ lbs. without breaking the law.

neil9629 is offline Holds the family record for most pencils nicked from Argos
    Allow me to quote my old grandpappy who in teaching me the shooting ways
    used to say.......

......."son, anything less than .22 is for girls"
    Don't blame me, I voted UKIP.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by neil9629 View Post
    Allow me to quote my old grandpappy who in teaching me the shooting ways
    used to say....."son, anything less than .22 is for girls"
    .20 is nice and flat and .25 hits hard, albeit with a slightly more pronounced trajectory.
    The .22 is just a compromise calibre.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

neil9629 is offline Holds the family record for most pencils nicked from Argos
    Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    .20 is nice and flat and .25 hits hard, albeit with a slightly more pronounced trajectory.
    The .22 is just a compromise calibre.
    I see your reasoning mr bum, but you are wrong.
    .25 is a great calibre, but not sub 12ft/lb its to big and dopey.
    The .20 is neither nowt nor something, not as flat as .177 or hard hitting as .22.

In short 'the' only hunting calibre in sub 12 is the .22
    Don't blame me, I voted UKIP.

The .20 is neither nowt nor something, not as flat as .177 or hard hitting as .22.

In short 'the' only hunting calibre in sub 12 is the .22
    I'm with him

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyslightnin View Post
    I'm with him

Gay!
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Basically .20 is faster and flatter than .22 with more whack than a .177 !...

Also you'll have a greater choice in .22 and .177 but most of the decent brands cater for .20 so shouldn't be much of a problem as the cheaper brands don't really factor into the equation anyway !...
    Last edited by TORNADOS7; 30-07-2014 at 06:55 PM.

But neither does it have the faults or draw backs of either, in order to be flat .177 is too light to deliver much energy while in order to hit hard .22 is heavy with loopy trajectory.

That's the whole point, at sub 12 with every cal there is a compromise, one extreme is good but at the other extreme it is very poor

.20 happily sails right down the middle being quite good at everything, but rubbish at nothing, frankly someone would need to be a proper Forrest Gump not to see it.