Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-war Webley Pellet Tin

Pre-war Webley Pellet Tin

For those who like to keep an eye on such things, a nice pre-war orange Webley pellet tin has just sold for a whopping £94 at internet auction with 17 bids.

Time to start rummaging through those garden sheds !

Equally surprising is a similar Webley, orange, 1960s rectangular tin also up for internet auction starting at £99.99, presumably by an extreme optimist !

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 28-07-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    For those who like to keep an eye on such things, a nice pre-war orange Webley pellet tin has just sold for a whopping £94 at internet auction with 17 bids.

Time to start rummaging through those garden sheds !

Equally surprising is a similar Webley, orange, 1960s rectangular tin also up for internet auction starting at £99.99, presumably by an extreme optimist !

Regards

Brian
    Hi Brian

I'm guessing that this tin made such an eye-watering price because it had this piece of paper in it. The seller said he didn't think it was original, but the use of the word "rifle" in the singular, presumably meaning the Mk1 rifle before the Mk2 Service came out, perhaps suggests it is original. Or is that wrong? Does the use of "Birmingham 4" mean it's post-War?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Hi Brian

I'm guessing that this tin made such an eye-watering price because it had this piece of paper in it. The seller said he didn't think it was original, but the use of the word "rifle" in the singular, presumably meaning the Mk1 rifle before the Mk2 Service came out, perhaps suggests it is original. Or is that wrong? Does the use of "Birmingham 4" mean it's post-War?
    Hi Danny,

It's my understanding that the singular use of the word 'Rifle' actually refers to only the Mk2 Service being in production at the time which would consequently make it later than the Mk1. However, that would still possibly help to justify the seemingly high price paid.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Hi Brian

The Weaman Street tins all have the word 'Rifle' on the front of the tin as well, so I would have thought the paper label inside the tin is correct.
    Nice to see pellet tins in that sort of condition making decent money. The only tins likely to make higher prices are the still sealed Weaman Street tins in either calibre in similar condition.
    The green 1000 .177 Weaman Street tins are also hard to find, but do occasionally appear.
    The most elusive of all is the later 250 .22 tin.

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hi Danny,

It's my understanding that the singular use of the word 'Rifle' actually refers to only the Mk2 Service being in production at the time which would consequently make it later than the Mk1. However, that would still possibly help to justify the seemingly high price paid.

Regards

Brian
    I've just consulted my Thrale book and of course you're right that the tins didn't come out until the '30s when the Mk 2 Service was current. Strange though that by then there was more than one Webley rifle around and it wasn't until after the War that they changed the wording on tins from "Rifle" to "Rifles"!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Astounding price!

The earliest advertised reference to tins rather than boxes of 1000 Webley Special pellets was in 1938 as in September the year before Webley were not specifying the type of container pellets were sold in. As the tins were advertised as being ideal for the pocket, I suspect they would have been mentioned in 1937, had they been about.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    The Weaman Street tins all have the word 'Rifle' on the front of the tin as well, so I would have thought the paper label inside the tin is correct.
    Thanks, David.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Nice to see pellet tins in that sort of condition making decent money. The only tins likely to make higher prices are the still sealed Weaman Street tins in either calibre in similar condition.
    The green 1000 .177 Weaman Street tins are also hard to find, but do occasionally appear.
    The most elusive of all is the later 250 .22 tin.
    Hello David,

Thanks for the info. Everydays a school day as they say.
    I have never seen a Weaman green 1000 never mind a Weaman 250.
    Do you have either/ both ?

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    Hello David,

Sam
    Hi Sam,

Actually, Webley didn't produce a 250 content pellet tin with the Weaman St address. I believe David is referring to a fairly rare 1960s rectangular .22 orange tin containing just 250 pellets which was the same size as the green .177 500 pellet tin. I managed to acquire one of these and a Weaman St Green tin reasonably easily, but am still chasing the small 1970s orange sector tin containing 200 .177 pellets which contradicted the normal Webley caliber related colour code.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Sam99 View Post
    Hello David,

Sam
    Sam there's a Weaman green 1000 on David's website here (bottom right).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

There's also a later 250 tin on there as well, 2nd. from bottom left, and I did say 'Later' on my original response.

Webley Round Green Tin

Hi does anyone have a Webley round green 1000 .177 tin, I have both types of the 500 version but never seen the 1000 tin. Anyone have one to part with?
    Thanks Paul.

I have several round green 500's but never seen a 1000.

I have several round green 500's but never seen a 1000.
    Hi David,

I have both variations of the early post-war, round green 500 tin, ie indented and flat lid and a green, flat lidded tin which would have contained 1000 pellets. I believe it was you who confirmed that neither the green 1000 pellet or the orange 500 .22 tin were ever available with an indented lid. I too have found it harder to source the green tins than the orange ones. Presumably this was due to the .22 calibre being more popular than .177 at the time these pellets were produced.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 29-07-2014 at 03:15 PM.

My thanks to all for my lesson on tins.

Sam :-)
    Last edited by Sam99; 29-07-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Seat / keyboard interface problem