Thread: Lovex powder

Renegade Master is offline They mostly come at night, mostly

Lovex powder

Hi Guys,

Just after a bit of advice. I have just got hold of some Lovex D032 powder for loading .357 Magnum. I have been informed that it is the same as Accurate #2 (which is what I was after). Researching online I have found comment that it is similar to #2, which has got me a got worried. None of my reloading books mention Lovex, and I'm wondering if I am safe going with #2 load date.

Opinions welcome.

Cheers,

Dan

Load data is available here

http://www.explosia.cz/en/streliviny...loading_EN.pdf

Regards
    James

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Master View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just after a bit of advice. I have just got hold of some Lovex D032 powder for loading .357 Magnum. I have been informed that it is the same as Accurate #2 (which is what I was after). Researching online I have found comment that it is similar to #2, which has got me a got worried. None of my reloading books mention Lovex, and I'm wondering if I am safe going with #2 load date.

Opinions welcome.

Cheers,

Dan
    Inside story from a former RFD who still deals with Lovex:

Accurate #2 was made and packaged in Europe by Explosia, under licence. The bulk powder was also sent to Accurate US for packaging and distribution there. This meant that the European product was actually a bit cheaper than the US product. Accurate did not like this and "instructed" Explosia to increase the wholesale price in Europe (probably illegal under EU laws). Explosia took exception, surrendered their Accurate licence for Europe, changed the packaging to D032 and carried on as before. D032 is the very same powder, made in the same place as #2 used to be made, but without the Accurate branding. Dunno if Explosia in fact still make bulk #2 for export to Accurate, but I would not be surprised to find that they do.

Cannot verify this story from personal knowledge, but:

I have here in front of me a (nearly empty) tub of Accurate #2. As well as the Accurate branding, there is a stick-on label on the back stating Producer: "Explosia a.s. Czech Republic". There is also a stick-on label on the front "LOVEX D 032-03 Manufactured by EXPLOSIA.

I have here in front of me a (fullish) tub of LOVEX D032. On the back there is some example 9mm load data and the statement "....similar to Accurate No2". There is also a stick-on label stating "Previously known as Accurate No2".

Both factory addresses are the same.

I think that is pretty conclusive.

I have used D032 as a direct replacement for #2 in .38 spl target loads and can detect no difference. I really like this powder because it is fast (like Bullseye) but being a ball powder it meters much better than Bullseye. It is also cleaner than Bullseye. Better yet it is cheap
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Thanks for the advice guys.

I should have mentioned that I need a load for 180gn bullets, which their own guide doesn't list. Will go with the data in my Lee manual based on #2.

Cheers

Dan

I used the Accurate 2520 type in the early 2000s quite a bit and then tried Lovex D073.6 as "It's identical to AA2520" and found that it was dirty and erratic: both measured and delivered.

I'd only buy Accurate branded from now on although I've not seen any in years.

Given the Ramshot connection with Western Powders, I find Ramshot Big Game superb in my 30-06 with 150 and 175 grain weights.
    Land Owner and Proud Supporter of 2nd Amendment JT Magbe Contracting

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Was using Accurate 2460, and now Lovex D073.5. Seems just as good.
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

I have used A2460 for about 7 years on 3 different calibers and switched to Lovex D073.5 with no difference in performance,whilst using the same loads as I was using for the accurate powder.The tub has a large sticker on it saying,''previously known as Accurate 2460''.
    In saying yes to this air rifle you are confirming that you are not a messer and are allowed to go out in public without your carer

Thanks for the advice guys. Will knock out a few rounds with different powder loads and see how I get on.