Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else wish competition shoots didn't have the suits?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Who says that? HFT is certainly no easier and could be judged to be the more difficult sport as all range finding is done by the 'mk1 eyeball' not by scope twiddling.

I think both sports are equal in their difficulty.

As for the clothes worn by the 10m rifle shooters, as I am sure several of you know, the clothing itself is closely regulated for fit, including shoes (ankle support / sole thickness), and the 10m rifles are far more strictly regulated (no pun intended) than any HFT/FT rig.

I do think, however, that using 10m clothing for FT is taking matters a bit too far ... I saw shooters wearing such at the Midlands last year and thought it somewhat OTT.

And while we are at it ... what about the practice of resting the butt on the ground for prone shots in HFT. Akin to a prone bench rest methinks.

Now sits back to await the flak ....

Cheers, Phil
    Probably why I and all the others clear the courses every time Phil, it's just so boring doing this HFT bench resting, isn't it?
    Just TOOOOO easy, I might have to take up another sport as there is no challenge any more

Quote Originally Posted by rogb View Post
    Probably why I and all the others clear the courses every time Phil, it's just so boring doing this HFT bench resting, isn't it?
    Just TOOOOO easy, I might have to take up another sport as there is no challenge any more
    Hi Rog,
    A bit of a red herring, methinks. I had never noticed you doing the butt resting during HFT. If you are saying that the practice makes no difference to accuracy, I will bow to your obvious experience. 'Other people' have commented that it most likely helps accuracy though and I was once advised to use a loose adjustable butt pad on a pcp so as to be able to knock it down to rest on the ground to make a shot easier. I have not tried so do not know ..... Not so sure about use on a springer though.
    As for course clearing ... I am sure we can both agree that there is far more to accurate HFT shooting than resting your butt.

But this is moving away from the original topic of 10m clothing ....

Cheers,
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Russell View Post
    Hi Rog,
    A bit of a red herring, methinks. I had never noticed you doing the butt resting during HFT. If you are saying that the practice makes no difference to accuracy, I will bow to your obvious experience. 'Other people' have commented that it most likely helps accuracy though and I was once advised to use a loose adjustable butt pad on a pcp so as to be able to knock it down to rest on the ground to make a shot easier. I have not tried so do not know ..... Not so sure about use on a springer though.
    As for course clearing ... I am sure we can both agree that there is far more to accurate HFT shooting than resting your butt.

But this is moving away from the original topic of 10m clothing ....

Cheers,
    Phil
    The main problem is policing butt resting Phil. In winter with big bulky jackets on, it is almost impossible for marshalls to see if the butt is grounded, so the decision was taken to allow it AFAIR.

There are so many other factors that affect accuracy that the butt is probably not a massive help, except perhaps on 15mm kills. If you try shooting 15mm from a wobbly and loose peg with butt up, your chances of knocking it down are pretty slim and like cages and "fun" twigs in the way, a lottery.

As for the "self-adjusting butt plate", it is the first I've heard of it, and would almost certainly result in a warning/ DQ in a UKAHFT event.

However, this is another topic (not sure why you brought it up in a gimp jacket thread, no matter)
    and one which will almost certainly result in handbags, tears and a locked thread

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    The clothing is a red herring.
    Very true.

Its what you become used to. I am sure if I switched to the sort of padded jacket Calps, berty and Little Jack wear, that withing 3 months my shooting would be unaffected.
    I have seen James O change from gimp to Air Arms coat from shoot to shoot with no difference in his standard of shooting.

The gimp coat is just familiarity now to myself.
    Ostler Ev2 in Warren Edwards off set (Pope) + Prem ret x45 Comp Series luepold
    Oaktree FTC
    Air Arms XTi50 Test Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    Yes Rich...been mentioned a few times that. there's always those that will twist and squirm through the rules in an effort to gain a point. The last few years have seen shooting Jackets creep into FT and i make it no secret that i don't think it's sporting. If you want to wear a gimp coat , shoot 10m.. Unfortunately the need to win drives some shooters too far and i would like to see 3 chrono's at every comp to catch those with the double pellet pouch and pellet squeezers.
    Or a chrono which actually works would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    And the flat soled diving boots..!
    What about a "Hunter 10 metre" class? Full camo, springer with iron sights only, no funny glasses.
    Rich will probably be on in a mo, saying "That's called SLR..!"

Gus
    We do nearly exactly that in Vintage and Classic Springer - but 10m - out to 35 yards