Thread: Perspex front sight elements for Original 75

Perspex front sight elements for Original 75

I took my Original Model 75 HV to the club tonight and had one of the most enjoyable evenings shooting that I have had for a long time - but I would like to buy a set of perspex front sight elements to fit instead of the metal element I am using at the moment.

The problem is than the front sight element retaining "wheel" is a plastic moulding with a hex shape moulded into the inner surface for use with the manufacturers "adjustable" "O" ring system.

Does anybody make an alloy or steel replacement for this plastic element retaining wheel with a regular type recess in the inner face so that it would be possible to insert the perspex elements into a recess in the inner face to centralise them and for the element taper to face the correct way ( away from the shooter) as normal.

The Original Model 75 rifle's have this same front sight arrangement so I am hoping somebody has made an upgrade front sight retaining wheel - I am sure it would be a very popular part for a lot of target shooters.

Maybe one of the perspex sight makers has already thought about this and has made an hexagonal shape perspex element that can be inserted in the existing front sight element retaining wheel with the taper bore facing away from the shooter ?

I would prefer a replacement front sight retaining wheel with the inner recess a similar size to other manufacturers such as FWB or Walther if possible.

Have any Model 75 owners found a good solution to fitting perspex front sight elements to their match rifles?
    Last edited by zooma; 30-07-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Not clearly "Diana" Bob, but do you think anything here might fit?

http://www.schiesssport-buinger.de/shooting/Inserts

Or perhaps it's worth an email?

How's your German?

Phil

Somebody here on the BBS makes good perspex front sight elements - the problem with the Original Model 66 and Model 75 rifles is the weird amounting system that makes it less simple than it could be.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Perplexed?

Bob
    I'm a bit mystified as I have some of our school club 66's on plastic elements and thats with the standard foresight, I can't go and check them as they are on school holidays at the moment, I can remember drilling out elements to get the correct size but as far as I can remember I di that on standard plastic elements. I have loads of foresight ring retainers from various rifles, although probably not Originals.
    And it makes no difference which way round the element is fitted as long as it fits and is centralised.
    PS. A classics man like you should be using metal elements any way!
    regards
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Bob I've PM'd you

George

sights

Email sent .
    If you look on the for sale section I've just sold a 75 and in the pic is a couple of the elements .I think they are 17mm

Phil

Mine doesn't have the front sight you mention Bob, I've only seen the type you mention on mod.75's. Do you have a photo?

I have some perspex elements with a stepped edge they locate in the Randelschraube (Sight securing screw), flat perspex elements also work. These photos show the set up on my 66.

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    Mine doesn't have the front sight you mention Bob, I've only seen the type you mention on mod.75's. Do you have a photo?

I have some perspex elements with a stepped edge they locate in the Randelschraube (Sight securing screw), flat perspex elements also work. These photos show the set up on my 66.
    Your pictures clearly show how a Perspex front sight element should fit with the shouldered edge just fitting inside the front closure ring - nice and neat and tidy and good enough not to need re-sighting every time the element is changed.

The Model 75 does not have this almost universal arrangement as the rifle was supplied with their own novelty adjustable dioptre sight that basically squeezed an O ring to give a bigger or smaller aperture. It worked OK but the ring was a bit fat and most owners dumped it straight away and fitted a metal foresight element instead.

The metal ones work well enough and fit OK as they have the usual "one way" side mounted guide pegs on them to keep them aligned but the large moulded closure ring does not have the usual recess in it to drop a Perspex element into as it has the hexagonal socket moulded into it that was used to twist and operate their variable foresight.

It is possible to fit a Perspex sight element into the foresight tunnel and hold it in position with pressure from the moulded closure ring, but it is not an elegant or engineered solution and it usually has the foresight taper facing the opposite way to normal so the closure ring has the widest surface to press against.

My "senior moment" caused me to suggest that the Model 66 was also like this, when that is clearly not the case so I have editied my first post to prevent any more confusion and apologise to anyone that I may have successfully confused ( welcome to my world ).
    Last edited by zooma; 30-07-2014 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobinC View Post
    Bob
    I'm a bit mystified as I have some of our school club 66's on plastic elements and thats with the standard foresight, I can't go and check them as they are on school holidays at the moment, I can remember drilling out elements to get the correct size but as far as I can remember I di that on standard plastic elements. I have loads of foresight ring retainers from various rifles, although probably not Originals.
    And it makes no difference which way round the element is fitted as long as it fits and is centralised.
    PS. A classics man like you should be using metal elements any way!
    regards
    Robin
    I made a mistake - no idea why - but I know it is ONLY the Model 75 that has this unique front sight arrangement - and you are right - I have now gone back to using a large size metal element and it is much better for a classic man to use a classic metal front sight insert in a classic air rifle