Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hw98 home tuned

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Thumbs up for "Tinbum" I've recently put one of his kits in my .177/95k and the difference it made was astounding, it was always twangy from new but the more I shot it the worse it got until it finally wrecked it's scope and constantly gave me a headache !...

After much deliberation I decided to strip it and gave the piston a light polish followed by the spring ends with a relube and reassembly, it was a shed load better but still harsh to shoot so one of Tinbums kits was purchased off of the bay !...

To say the kit was a revelation is an understatement, it's damn near silent on firing (just a solid thud) and the recoil is a smooth nudge at the shoulder and the lock time is seriously quick and as for accuracy that's back to as good as when new !...

At the moment I've got both the power adjusters in play and it's running consistent 11.2's (without them it was running 9.8) so I'm gonna remove one of the adjusters which should hopefully bring it back to 10.5-10.75fpe as it was when new !...

Follow these basic steps and you'll have a decent rifle, I'm interested in trying a "V-Mack" myself but not sure if the £80 layout will make that much of an improvement over what it is at present !...

Good luck whatever you decide !...
    Mines in .22 and is only slightly twangy to be fair but its a bit stiff to cock as it is, although smooth to cock it would be nice if it were easyer. i can understand the reason for polishing the piston but what does polishing the spring ends do for the action, gary.

hi gary ,when the rifle is fired the spring goes forward but it also twists slightly left or right [someone once said thay do a full 360' turn in 8 shoots] so if you polish the spring ends / trigger block inside the piston if you can get there ,all the machined parts are smooth so thay will all slide on one another much easer. this does not cause the spring to bind up and snag on rought parts so it will not twist the rifle slightly on fireing. its a old school trick from back in the day ,but now top hats and spring guides made out of delrin will spin very freely even on rough parts

atb john
    ATB JOHN
    hw 100, hw80 mk1, smk xs20, bsa scorpion pistol, feinwerkbau 127, hw99s

Cheers john, thanks for taking the time to explain, i havent been around air guns for the best part of 30 years & i didnt know a deal back then either, regards, gary.

Ah sorry Gary matey only just seen your question as I've just got home from work, basically Johns nailed it !...

Quote Originally Posted by TORNADOS7 View Post
    Ah sorry Gary matey only just seen your question as I've just got home from work, basically Johns nailed it !...
    Thanks anyway mate, gary.