Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hw98 home tuned

hw98 home tuned

hi guys as the title says I have just finished tuning my hw98 It was twanging its bag off from new really badly so I invested in a top hat and spring guide from tinbum from another forum, then did all the usual piston polishing spring ends and trigger sears ,this stopped the boinging but put the gun over 12ftlb so I chopped a coil and got the power down but was not happy it cocked lovley but shot like a wild animal to the point of **** accuracy and a very very hold sensitive gun (****) so I purchased a titan spring sanded down the spring guide and top hat to fit the new spring cut it down ,then cut it more and after 6 cuts off a very generous spring I got the power down to 11.3ftlb , I just cant believe the difference it now cocks and shoots like a vmach installed kit ,it is a pleasure to cock and fantastic to shoot and the accuracy is pellet on pellet at 30yd no jumping or twanging it just cost £20 for the top hat and guide £20 for the titan and a few hours of my time my 97 was vmached and now my 98 is honestly that sweet and am very pleased with the results £40 well spent,stokie99.
    ps the best tool of the job was my dremil (priceless )for this kind of work
    I ONLY SAID THAT FISH LOOKS GOOD ENOUGH FOR JEHOVAH !!!
    HW100KT,177 / Air ranger ,177 /Hw95,177 /tx200hc ,22/ FX verminator,177 /hw97,177

Iam going to go the same way with my 95k, just bought a tinbum kit off a guy on here, is a spring change always best or will the WH spring normally be ok [i,v read they are good springs] its a 2013 in .22, i dont suppose you took any pic,s of what you did stokie, i want to do mine myself but have no experience working on gun,s, regards, gary.
    PS, i have a Dremil & power file, dangerous lol.
    Last edited by gary white; 30-07-2014 at 08:50 AM.

cool

try get her to 10.5lb she will be even sweeter

I found the hw spring to be to harsh and jumpy the titan spring is a lot smoother but try the hw first you may find yours is ok as for info the weihrauch owners forum is full of help and so is u tube if you need any help or advice pm me cheers stokie99
    HW100KT,177 / Air ranger ,177 /Hw95,177 /tx200hc ,22/ FX verminator,177 /hw97,177

hi all , from wot we have found the std hw 95 /98 spring is good quality but strong and short in std form thay often go over 12 flb with in a couple of months , so you have to chop coils of to try to get them to 11.3 flb in doing so there is very little or no preload on the std spring causing the same problem to reacure. the titen xs spring is soft and long you can get a titen spring in 98 /95 but we have found it will shoot sweet but at about 14 flb so you have to chop of about 30mm of the spring but with the titen you still have plenty of preload on the spring

atb john
    ATB JOHN
    hw 100, hw80 mk1, smk xs20, bsa scorpion pistol, feinwerkbau 127, hw99s

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stokie99 View Post
    I found the hw spring to be to harsh and jumpy the titan spring is a lot smoother but try the hw first you may find yours is ok as for info the weihrauch owners forum is full of help and so is u tube if you need any help or advice pm me cheers stokie99
    Thanks for that stokie ,gary.

Quote Originally Posted by gibboj View Post
    hi all , from wot we have found the std hw 95 /98 spring is good quality but strong and short in std form thay often go over 12 flb with in a couple of months , so you have to chop coils of to try to get them to 11.3 flb in doing so there is very little or no preload on the std spring causing the same problem to reacure. the titen xs spring is soft and long you can get a titen spring in 98 /95 but we have found it will shoot sweet but at about 14 flb so you have to chop of about 30mm of the spring but with the titen you still have plenty of preload on the spring

atb john
    OK john, i,v taken on board what you,v said, looks like i might need a Titan, by the time iv done i might have been better off buying a V-Mach kit , when i,v got the parts together give it a go, gary.

hi gary , v-mack kits are ok but expensive and use is own spec springs and you do get a v-mack seal with them worth £20 alone so it all relavent. from wot iv found, thay will send your rifle over 12 flb , iv never seen a welsh willy kit but thay get some good wright up and come in at the right price and he uses titen springs. one spring kit is much the same as another spring kit as long as thay use good quality springs and well machined parts . if you think you are going to put a kit in and its going to produce 11.3 flb straight away think again [or you will be very lucky] most kits take a bit of work to get them a 11.3 flb

atb john
    ATB JOHN

Yes it was taken out and cut and polished 6 times to get the power down but I now have a great gun and a good feeling of achievement for my time and effort .stokie99

Quote Originally Posted by gary white View Post
    OK john, i,v taken on board what you,v said, looks like i might need a Titan, by the time iv done i might have been better off buying a V-Mach kit , when i,v got the parts together give it a go, gary.
    Maybe give a Welsh Willy kit a go Gary ?
    it comes with top hat, guide, spring all ready finished and dry slide lube and moly in tubs. good instructions .. but there's a bit a waiting list .
    Good kit imho , I had one in my hw57 . hth , rich.
    gat gun .25 cal

Quote Originally Posted by richardscar View Post
    Maybe give a Welsh Willy kit a go Gary ?
    it comes with top hat, guide, spring all ready finished and dry slide lube and moly in tubs. good instructions .. but there's a bit a waiting list .
    Good kit imho , I had one in my hw57 . hth , rich.
    Trouble is i,v already bought the tinbum kit & 2 tubes of lube, its in the post so might as well use it now, its the spring side thats giving me grief, weather to just try it with the standard spring or shell out for a titan spring, i dont have the use of a chronograph [i think thats what they call them] so could end up in hot water, i didnt set out to have an increase in power, i just wanted a nice smooth quiet action.
    Iam sorry stokie for highjacking your thred mate, regards, gary.

hi gary try the tinbun kit in the std hw spring you might get away with it if not you will only have to chop the spring and hope you have some preload left [ proberly wise to take your rifle to a rfd , club, or someone in your area with a chrono to test the power after all the work is done ] it will all be worth the hassle in the end as like most new air rifle a spit and polish tune up does wonders in the end .and you only do it once

atb john
    ATB JOHN

Thumbs up for "Tinbum" I've recently put one of his kits in my .177/95k and the difference it made was astounding, it was always twangy from new but the more I shot it the worse it got until it finally wrecked it's scope and constantly gave me a headache !...

After much deliberation I decided to strip it and gave the piston a light polish followed by the spring ends with a relube and reassembly, it was a shed load better but still harsh to shoot so one of Tinbums kits was purchased off of the bay !...

To say the kit was a revelation is an understatement, it's damn near silent on firing (just a solid thud) and the recoil is a smooth nudge at the shoulder and the lock time is seriously quick and as for accuracy that's back to as good as when new !...

At the moment I've got both the power adjusters in play and it's running consistent 11.2's (without them it was running 9.8) so I'm gonna remove one of the adjusters which should hopefully bring it back to 10.5-10.75fpe as it was when new !...

Follow these basic steps and you'll have a decent rifle, I'm interested in trying a "V-Mack" myself but not sure if the £80 layout will make that much of an improvement over what it is at present !...

Good luck whatever you decide !...

Quote Originally Posted by gary white View Post
    Trouble is i,v already bought the tinbum kit & 2 tubes of lube, its in the post so might as well use it now, its the spring side thats giving me grief, weather to just try it with the standard spring or shell out for a titan spring, i dont have the use of a chronograph [i think thats what they call them] so could end up in hot water, i didnt set out to have an increase in power, i just wanted a nice smooth quiet action.
    Iam sorry stokie for highjacking your thred mate, regards, gary.
    hi gary don't worry mate its all good chat isn't there a rfd near with a chrono or a forum member near to you with one , if you are playing with your gun you need use of a chrono theres no two ways about it if I was you I would ask the question on the forum if any one close to you has a chrono and drop the tinbum kit in which will make a big difference then get it checked but in my experience it went up in power to 13ftlb and had to start loosing spring ,let me know how you get on and as I said if you need any help pm me stokie.

Loads of good info/advice there fella,s, thanks for sharing your knowledge with me, iam going to start by using the standard spring with the Tinbum kit and if i decide there's a improvement worth keeping i will get it checked for power, if not i will consider changing the spring and take it from there, thanks again, regards, gary.
    Last edited by gary white; 31-07-2014 at 07:22 AM.