Thread: Put the metal trigger in my LGV.

Put the metal trigger in my LGV.

Now the gun won't cock.

I've been putting this off for some time because I knew, as a non technical type, I would run into trouble.

The two sides of the trigger unit were difficult to separate, and, although I was very careful, and covered it with a cloth, all the sears fell out of position and there were washers loose. By looking at pictures I'm confident I put things back where they should be. However, I have a couple of questions, if anyone can help.

The main sear has a washer on the underside but not on the top. Is this normal? I've checked everwhere but there is no sign of a second washer.

There are small washers on top of the bolts on the other two sears, but none over the top of the new trigger - although there is one under the trigger. Is this a problem?

Does the spring with metal insert that goes into the adjustment channel behind the trigger, followed by a screw, go in spring first or the reverse?

Does the cylindrical metal piece with a cut out for the sear to engage the piston rod attach over the spring guide, under it, or just lie next to it?

And now for the big one:

Is the gun failing to cock because I have replaced the sears incorrectly - for example as if they were already in the cocked position - or is it possible that trigger adjustment will sort out the problem? I have a feeling that It's the former and that I did not align the sears correctly before reassembly.

If you read this, Bigtoe, the 6ftlb piston is now out, and if you pm me your address, I will send it to you.

I will be opening the gun up again today for another look and fiddle.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I've now had the unit open several more times, and have been able to answer most of my own questions.

I can get the sears to engage and the trigger to release, but only when the unit is open and manipulated by hand.

I've looked at countless pictures and my trigger unit seems to be set up correctly.

However every time I engage the trigger and then close and screw on the other half of the shell, the first two sears do not separate when the trigger is pulled.

I've taken a couple of photos and will try to post them, in the hope that somebody can spot something that I have missed. It could be something very simple that an experienced member would do instinctively, but I am ignorant of.

This is the first time I have opened up a trigger, and will probably be the last.
    Arthur

Arthur

the difference between the metal and plastic triggers is the metal one has 2 adjusting screws, so all you do is remove the plastic one carefully, by removing the little spring and retailing the little spacer shim off the pin, then with both trigger loose you can set the adjusting screws to copy the plastic dimensions....however the metal blades usually come pre adjusted to be close anyway

Bruce has linked you to pics of the trigger, you should find this very helpfull when putting the trigger back together...if you continue to struggle I can do it for you if you bring it to me and set the trigger up for you.

Thanks to you both.

I'll give it another go, Bigtoe, and if all else fails, I'll pop across to Stockport to see you.

I'm going to post a picture a little later.
    Arthur

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/j...ksa/Walter.jpg

Can you see anything wrong with this picture?

On Bruce's photos the main sear has a large washer round the hollow rod. On mine there is also a washer, but it's on the other side. Should it be moved so as to be visible in the picture ie. left side?
    Arthur

Leave the washers where they are, no need to move anything as they are just packers/spacers to take up slack.

With the trigger unit out, get the 7.6J piston and slide it into the guide, push the piston back by pushing against the seal to push the piston into the trigger group, i do this pushing against a table or worktop in the kitchen.

You can then pull the piston while engaging the trigger and see if it releases ok...the LGV trigger needs some strain on the sears to set up correctly.

I will pm you my details, if you want to call me i will help you

Tony

Thanks Tony.

I've just replied to your pm.
    Arthur

Hello Tony.

You have a new pm from me.
    Arthur