Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on bsf gun wanted

Advice on bsf gun wanted

Hi all,
    I have just taken out today my BSF Model S60 for a shoot. It is in absolutely immaculate condition, however after a few shots today the trigger does not seem to be working properly. It does release the sear andfire the gun however it is totally loose after the shot has gone. This gun has never been apart in its life, and I have no idea what is inside, can anyone give me any advice on how hard it may be to fix it, and as I am aware that these are no longer made, where will I get any parts I may need.?

Or, is there an expert in these, I seem to remember there was someone on here somewhere.
    The armourer, with no where near as many guns as I used to have.

Quote Originally Posted by The armourer View Post
    Hi all,
    I have just taken out today my BSF Model S60 for a shoot. It is in absolutely immaculate condition, however after a few shots today the trigger does not seem to be working properly. It does release the sear andfire the gun however it is totally loose after the shot has gone. This gun has never been apart in its life, and I have no idea what is inside, can anyone give me any advice on how hard it may be to fix it, and as I am aware that these are no longer made, where will I get any parts I may need.?

Or, is there an expert in these, I seem to remember there was someone on here somewhere.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm an expert on bsf's but I know how they come apart,first you need to remove the end cap this is screwed on, there is a small spring behind it, the trigger unit is locked in place by the scope mount which is held in place with a small screw on top, this needs to be removed then you can gently drift the mount rearwards (it's key locked so go steady with any bashing!)with a piece of hardwood & a light hammer, the trigger mechanism should then slide out & hopefully all will be revealed. You can get parts from chambers on line,
    Regards Graham

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I had a B55 which had this fault too. It is because a small return spring is missing. I asked I.J. who is one of the resident BBS experts and he sent me a photo of the spring - it fits in the side of the trigger as far as I remember and pushes the blade forward. I thought I would not be able to get one as they dont make them any more, but I.J. said I could make one from a medium size safety pin. He was right! You just have to cut it and bend the pin 90 degrees a bit to get a locating stub, and it is a fine replacement.

Ask I.J. to send you pictures. You only have to take the stock off, no need to strip the whole thing. If you do strip it, use a spring compressor, there is alot of preload.

Agree with the advice given, Ij is your man on this has he seems to have all of them I have the following, B55 Standard in .177, BSF 70 in .22, Bsf$ 54 Bayern in .22( undergoing restoration) and BSF S20 pistol in .177. They are superb guns and one of my all time fave makes, hope you get the problem solved.
    Last edited by FattMann; 25-07-2014 at 05:34 AM.

Here us a link hat might help when I had a dabble with the S60.....

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....pLease-BSF-S60

Best regards....

Advice

Thanks to all involved in the above, I will now(with some trepidation) take this apart for the first time in its life. A mate of mine got it brand new and only fired about 50 shots with it, then had a life change and gave it to me, and due to the number of guns I have got it has only fired about the same again with me in the past eight years.

I knew you good gentlemen on here would know the score, thankyou all very much.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    You might need to give the leather piston washer a good 24 hour soak in SM50, alternatively I think Vortek is selling a synthetic piston seal and adaptor for the BSF.

The trigger on these rifles is not 'fully active' so the pull weight increases with mainspring tension. They are light, heavily-sprung rifles so you may find it shoots a lot sweeter at 10 ft/lbs. They are one of the hardest springers to master at full power, but are capable of good accuracy once you have the knack. The trigger has a strange 'hang up' just before it breaks, they are all like that, and once again you will get used to it.

They are very sturdy rifles and have sort of 'post-World War Two' elegance that is very endearing, like an early BSA Airsporter. To me they represent the archetypal Break-Barrel Springer, if I was to choose just one to represent the class in a museum it would be a BSF S60 or S70.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    You might need to give the leather piston washer a good 24 hour soak in SM50, alternatively I think Vortek is selling a synthetic piston seal and adaptor for the BSF.

The trigger on these rifles is not 'fully active' so the pull weight increases with mainspring tension. They are light, heavily-sprung rifles so you may find it shoots a lot sweeter at 10 ft/lbs. They are one of the hardest springers to master at full power, but are capable of good accuracy once you have the knack. The trigger has a strange 'hang up' just before it breaks, they are all like that, and once again you will get used to it.

They are very sturdy rifles and have sort of 'post-World War Two' elegance that is very endearing, like an early BSA Airsporter. To me they represent the archetypal Break-Barrel Springer, if I was to choose just one to represent the class in a museum it would be a BSF S60 or S70.
    100% agree, one of the best of all West German Air- rifles, sadly no longer with us, I tresure mine.

Quote Originally Posted by FattMann View Post
    100% agree, one of the best of all West German Air- rifles, sadly no longer with us, I tresure mine.
    a must have for any collector, iv mangens to find one s70 in 177 and two 54 in 22 cal all in the past 6 monthes and im keeping them .

Lovely rifles. Trigger not quite up to Record standards but you soon adapt yourself. My favourite was a special order BSF S60N. The N bit being walnut

Sorry - Ive only just seen this thread.

This may be the trigger spring mentioned: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...tml?sort=6&o=9 Ive made replacements in the past using a cut down safety pin! Theres a part diagram on the next page and other views of the trigger unit in front.

HTH
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 25-07-2014 at 03:45 PM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    To me they represent the archetypal Break-Barrel Springer, if I was to choose just one to represent the class in a museum it would be a BSF S60 or S70.
    Or BSF65.

BSF

To I.J.

I think I would have sent this to you to fix as you appear to be the acknowledged expert however this gun is so pristine the Royal snail mail are sure to damage it, so will try it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by The armourer View Post
    To I.J.

I think I would have sent this to you to fix as you appear to be the acknowledged expert however this gun is so pristine the Royal snail mail are sure to damage it, so will try it myself.
    Sorry, but gone our my days of gun smithing. Im too old, to knackered and, truth be known I rarely shoot rifle these days due to being riddled with 'Arthur'. But I still manage to collect! and have been known to do a good score in 10m pistol.

With regards to BSFs, as mentioned previously. To remove the trigger unit the end cap screws off. The screw in the scope rail must be removed and the threaded plug in front of the trigger unscrewed. WARNING. BSF usually have a lot of pre load so a spring compressor is recommended. The trigger unit, scope rail and main spring then can all be removed simultaneously. Once the trigger unit and piston is in your hand you can sort out your trigger problem in safety.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=21
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=23
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=20
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=24
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...ml?sort=6&o=25

HTH
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 25-07-2014 at 04:41 PM.

BSF

Cheers I.J,

now have to find a spring compressor!!!!!!!