Thread: More advice please - sling fitting fitting

Newhaven, Sussex (someone's got to live here)

Question More advice please - sling fitting fitting

Hi Peops

Just over a week ago I purchased a TX200 and now in the process of accessorizing it; about to fit a sling.

I've no problems in drilling the stock, but when it comes to attaching the fore-end I have a 'clam-shell' style Uncle Mike QD thingy of the correct size.

I have fitted one of these before (to the barrel of my Prosport), protecting the finish under the clamp band by wrapping the barrel in a couple of layers of black electrical tape.

This seems to have worked, but I wondered what everyone else does to protect the finish (blueing) of the TX's under leaver?

What work?

What works best?

What alternatives have you used?

Will keep visiting the page to see what suggestions come forward.

Thanks

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

I use some heat shrink tubing on my HW98 barrel. Does not leave any sticky residue.

Quote Originally Posted by leaky5 View Post
    I use some heat shrink tubing on my HW98 barrel. Does not leave any sticky residue.
    Thanks leaky. Hadn't thought of that and I have half a feeling I may have some heat shrink of roughly the right size lurking here somewhere ..... but where?

Biggles
    Rapid MkII .22, AA400C .177, AA MPR .177, AA Prosport .177, AA TX200, AA FTP900, HW75 .177, HW45 Silver Star .22, and my dear ol' Webley Ranger .177 (circa 1966) Mile Oak - WEB SITE Air Arms HFT Team member

I use black tape as well. Don't fit the U/L clamp too near the hinge, you may damage the fore end when you cock it. The strain on the sling will sometimes open the U/L catch, suddenly slackening the sling. If you're carrying it muzzle up, the whole thing can slip off your shoulder, risking damage, so I carry it muzzle down, with one hand on the fore end, just in case.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

Quote Originally Posted by biggles View Post
    Hi Peops

Just over a week ago I purchased a TX200 and now in the process of accessorizing it; about to fit a sling.

I've no problems in drilling the stock, but when it comes to attaching the fore-end I have a 'clam-shell' style Uncle Mike QD thingy of the correct size.

I have fitted one of these before (to the barrel of my Prosport), protecting the finish under the clamp band by wrapping the barrel in a couple of layers of black electrical tape.

This seems to have worked, but I wondered what everyone else does to protect the finish (blueing) of the TX's under leaver?

What work?

What works best?

What alternatives have you used?

Will keep visiting the page to see what suggestions come forward.

Thanks

Biggles
    hello, cut a piece of old rubber bike inner tube and use that, also works to keep metal silencers from getting marked.

Many thanks chaps - Gwylan and oldboyshooter; both providing very helpful input.

Hadn't thought about the possible clash between fore end and sling mount when cocking. I will get it as rearward as I can to reduce risk of sling opening the underlever. Always carry gun muzzle down; required in competition shoots and has become a (good) habit - I think.

atb

Biggles