Thread: Shock absorbing piston head

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia

Shock absorbing piston head

Finally got round to this... think of a meteor buffer washer on steroids
    Completely different securing method though, gives 2mm of carefully controlled travel, but I don't think it uses it all (which is the way it should be).

Idea being to soften the landing of the piston after it's second forward stroke.

First impressions are that it's working, but the gun is still settling so need to tune a little first.
    Not a massive improvement, but noticeable, for sure. A more pliable bushing material may help too - it's currently using a damper bush from a landcruiser

Will bring it to the bash so other folks can try it, as it might all be in my head

I was looking into fitting a 4mm hard rubber buffer, from a tap rebuild kit, inside the piston between the head and thrust bearing plates on my CFX, if I ever get allowed the time to get on with it , with a 1mm softer rubber washer, a seal from a washing machine feed hose, inbetween the preload spacer and the spring guide, as they are ironically the correct diameters.

My theory being it will reduce felt recoil/vibration from the spring as it crashes around inside the gun/piston, I wont know whether it works until its back together though.

I doubt it will have the same feel as a piston head damper, possibly even less than the amount your saying you can feel.... we shall see.....

ATB

Sean
    Slowly morphing into an RWS/Diana/Original fanboy.

Definitely a springer fanboy.

Paul (The void) added a rubber spacer between the head and the body on his 95 piston, last time I spoke to him he was impressed with it. Wonky also had a go at this and was not as impressed...I will let him comment.

I have a design here for a pneumatic damper, i also tweaked it to be hydraulic, i then tweaked it to be inertia...just never made it yet.

One I may make is a slim bodied piston with a sliding inertia weight on its body with a damper at the piston seal end, the inertia weight will be bronze with a slot machined into it so the piston can rotate but the cocking lever travels up and down the slot on the weight. Polished piston body, bronze is a bearing material, keep the tolerances tight to minimise vibration . One thought was you could then play with the timing by adding plastic spacers behind the weight so you alter how much forward travel it will have as the piston bounces...my thoughts for a front damper were O rings maybe....not totally decided this one yet.

Theory is you cock the gun, pull the trigger and the piston flies forward and catches the inertia weight which is also dragged forward (you could weak spring it also from the front to push it back at all times), so now the piston and inertia are being pushed forward until peak compression hits and the piston now stops dead, now the inertia weight is still moving forward and catches the piston just as its starts to bounce back.
    The piston bounce is dramatically reduced, so felt movement should also be less...more like the dull thud everyone wants.

sh!t I should make this LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    Paul (The void) added a rubber spacer between the head and the body on his 95 piston, last time I spoke to him he was impressed with it. Wonky also had a go at this and was not as impressed...I will let him comment.
    I commented on another thread about this & included some images, This is what I said:-

I've used Polyurethane for piston buffers SIMILER TO BSA as well as PISTONS inside an alloy nose and rubber. Now I do know if you can get it right it does work, but I haven't as yet, not to my satisfaction anyway! The closest I got is with the piston in the nose. Using the buffer I either get no perceptible difference or I can feel a double "surge" & the result is a loss of Vo, as much as 70fps with a similar stroke to a non buffered set up.

I feel the solution will be very different for every rifle or even pellet to a point.

As Bigtoe01 has mentioned the person I can tell you I have shot his rifle. I will try to give a description of what it's like. I shot it at a knockdown with a 40mm kill at about 30yds with a 6 mag scope. The cross hair moved out of the kill but not so much as you lost sight of it & nowhere near towards the edge of the target. I have now also shot another rifle that shot at least as well, maybe even marginally better.
    IF IT'S NOT BROKE.........DON'T FIX IT!

I have just finished a piston that takes a polyurethane o ring head for my TX , same spec as my other lightweight ones.A few people have shot them back to back and there is a perceptible difference ie softer feel. I can shoot knock downs at 55 yds ay any mag up to 50x and the cross hair does not leave the kill zone. Consistency is still good over the chrono.

So,

Just for sh!ts & grins I fitted some thin (1mm....ish) rubber washers ( shower hose seal washers, correct diameter and quite soft) to my Model 24D, now this is my 6ft/lb rifle (actually 5.65) so I wasn't expecting much in the recoil adsorbtion as there isn't that much to start with.

I fitted 2 at the piston head and 1 at the spring guide.

There is a slight softening of the felt recoil but, sadly, no noticeable reduction in actual recoil/muzzle rise.

I may have time for some more tinkering with this on sunday, will see how it progresses, could do with making it as smooth as possible to take on the lads shooting all the FWB 300s' and Oringinal 66/75s in this series of the 6yard rifle MPL and stand a chance

ATB

Sean

Just a thought, what about putting the shock absorber washer in the end of the compression cylinder, rather than on the piston?

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    Just a thought, what about putting the shock absorber washer in the end of the compression cylinder, rather than on the piston?
    No good mate,

It extends the TP and creates extra lost volume unless really well sealed to the cylinder head face/walls, and as some of us are already wrestling with a fixed long TP, adding to it is only going to create issues further up the system chain.

ATB

Sean