Thread: Why You Buy a Steyr LP10

Why You Buy a Steyr LP10

I’ve been happy shooting my IZH 46 (not the M version, too nose heavy) for about a year now, and set my PR’s of 499/600 and 89/100 for a single target with it using Vogel pellets. But lately I had been wondering if having a lighter, more adjustable gun I didn’t have to expend any effort cocking would be a benefit. Enter the Steyr LP10M. I was considering other guns (Morini Compact, LP2) because LP10’s were always out of my price range, even used, and weighed too much. Then a used one popped up on Target Talk for a price I could afford (thank you Vincent). It really wasn’t on my list, but there are so many people who believe this is the be all, end all gun, that I decided to see what all of the fuss was about.

I’ve had it about a month now, and have to say that the biggest reason for getting an LP10 is because of its adjustability. The grip adjustment alone puts it head and shoulders above any other gun, except for the recent Walter LG400 and Pardini K12, unless I am mistaken about them. Forget about the trigger and accuracy, etc, etc. You know that is going to be world class, but even my IZH can shoot 10’s all day long if I could. This review is for normal folks who keep wondering if they should upgrade and why. Again, being able to adjust that grip to perfectly fit your anatomy and style is probably the single biggest reason to own this gun. I’m talking about the angles and yaw, not how it fits your palm. I’ve also played with it enough to have changed my opinion about the weight problem. I’ve pulled off the shroud, installed a Nygord compensator (thanks again Vincent), added a 25 gram barrel weight for an LP2, and put on a short air cylinder, for a total reduced weight of 900 grams exactly, ready to shoot. I set a Summer goal to break my PR’s, and only a month in with the LP10, I’ve shot new records of 510/600 and 90/100. But, I’ve also added a shot plan to my shooting which I strickly adhere to every shot, so it’s entirely possible that I could have set the same scores with my IZH. However, the LP10 has eliminated the cocking effort completely, and is so much easier to hold on target because of the lighter weight. These things cannot be replicated by an IZH, nor can it be adjusted to fit me without a lot of trouble, I have to adapt to it for better or worse. I absolutely thought I’d play with the LP10 for a week or so then sell it, but it has become everything I could possibly want in an air pistol. The only possible reason for my shooting poorly now is me, not the equipment. You still can’t buy points, but you CAN make it easier on yourself to get them.

Best Regards,
    Scrench

Quote Originally Posted by Scrench View Post
    The only possible reason for my shooting poorly now is me, not the equipment. You still can’t buy points, but you CAN make it easier on yourself to get them.

Best Regards,
    Scrench
    nice post thanks and hope you continue to enjoy using the LP10.

I saved myself around a thousand-something pounds and got my CO2 LP5 converted to air.

tac

I know exactly what you mean, but I got my LP10 for only $50 more than a new Alfa Proj with the better grip would have cost. Besides curiosity, that's the only reason I got it, it was cheap!

Scrench

Were you able to easily convert the LP5 CO2 to air yourself and how much did it cost?
    Regards, Phil

Really interesting post. However, I am still an SSP fan, but agree the LP10 is a great match pistol

Quote Originally Posted by discotwo View Post
    Were you able to easily convert the LP5 CO2 to air yourself and how much did it cost?
    1. No. I don't have the necessary technical tools and graduating equipment. I'm also told that Steyr do not seell conversion units to the public - it's an authorised Steyr dealer, like Sport-Waffen Steyr here in UK who does it or nothing.

2. £170.00.

tac

Tac

Thanks for letting me know.
    Regards, Phil

I had a few shots with one of these this week and was very impressed with the engineering and the quality of the gun. You really don’t have any excuses if you are using one of these pistols.

I really want a LP10 compact. Have been selling up other stuff to get the funds together but its taking a long time. Have never even
    seen one let alone used one but just can't seem to get it out my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardx View Post
    I had a few shots with one of these this week and was very impressed with the engineering and the quality of the gun. You really don’t have any excuses if you are using one of these pistols.
    Impressed? So you should be - an air pistol that cost FAR more than ANY cartridge-shooting gun I've every bought in my life.

The cost of converting my old Steyr LP5 to air was more than I paid for my Swiss K11 AND K31 together.

tac