Thread: .260/6.5 nosler ballistic tips

.260/6.5 nosler ballistic tips

HI,

Thinking of Dropping down to 120Gn in my .260 Rem, (nosler ballistic tips) any suggested loads/powders? using elcho 17 at present and 129 sst's but the availibilty of Hornady heads is swaying my decision, and another rguy I know of swears by the 120 noslers.

cheers

Randy Bohannon is offline “Junes1 is a whining bellend”
    Quote Originally Posted by steviebee View Post
    HI,

Thinking of Dropping down to 120Gn in my .260 Rem, (nosler ballistic tips) any suggested loads/powders? using elcho 17 at present and 129 sst's but the availibilty of Hornady heads is swaying my decision, and another rguy I know of swears by the 120 noslers.

cheers
    They can be a bit hard on small deer but I have a few friends who use them in order to try and get the "magic" 3000fps they think a deer cartridge ought to produce...

Can't help with a load but I want to ask why you are dropping in bullet weight if I may?
    "An infinite number of monkeys banging away at type writers for an infinite period of time will eventually reproduce Hamlet" Thanks to discussion forums we now know this to be untrue.

just in order to produce a flatter shooting effectively point and shoot round over realistic ranges and a little less energy as the 129s' are very hard hitting and not as accurate i'v found in my rifle

Quote Originally Posted by steviebee View Post
    just in order to produce a flatter shooting effectively point and shoot round over realistic ranges and a little less energy as the 129s' are very hard hitting and not as accurate i'v found in my rifle
    Steve, they're all point and shoot at realistic ranges on Deer, if they are not as accurate then thats all the reason you need, are the 120's less explosive than the 129's? maybe its the bullet rather than the weight?
    You Cannot Reason People Out of Something They Were Not Reasoned Into
    "Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement" Sir Humphry Appleby

HI, well the normal fodder was Hornady but having a real struggle to get hold of them, where as I can get hold of the noslers and far more accurate out of my 20' tube? think is a combination of weight and bullet shape

bt

hi i was using 120gr nosler bt for a good while and dropped twice to a lower node
    finished around 2750v in my 6.5x55 they were exceptable on roe but did allot of damage
    on the humble muntie

now use seirra 120gr pro hunter at 2700v an is much better and is my go to load with N160
    half inch at 100yds

120g bt's go well in my 260 with N550. Meat damage can be an issue though.