Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tanfoglio Witness and Swiss Arms 1911 Jamming Problem Fix

Well, other than this minor "clip spring force" issue, I can't find any other problems. I wish they got 80 shots per Co2 though

By the way guys, keep an eye on the two small screws that hold the bottom plate on the clip. I've found them loose even on my newest virgin clips, so snug them up ocassionally.
    Last edited by Freeonthree; 11-08-2014 at 12:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Also, and this is very important, always ease the loading plunger up after loading the bb's. Never let it slam the bb's against the feeder tube retaining lips.
    I always put my finger over the top of the feeder tube and press down, so if the plunger gets away from me, my finger will lessen the blow of the bb's against the feeder tube lips.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben 36 View Post
    Well done for a helpful thread. Personally I've always only used 7. It does seem odd to load 18 into a 1911 replica doesn't it.
    I totally agree, but I must confess, i've been loading 8. Just don't like odd numbers

I always carried 8 in my .45, one in the chamber and 7 in the mag. Could have been the one that made the difference especially when a lot of the crims in South Africa had double stack 9 mils.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I always carried 8 in my .45, one in the chamber and 7 in the mag. Could have been the one that made the difference especially when a lot of the crims in South Africa had double stack 9 mils.

Baz
    Too bad they don't pack bb pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Freeonthree View Post
    Also, and this is very important, always ease the loading plunger up after loading the bb's. Never let it slam the bb's against the feeder tube retaining lips.
    I always put my finger over the top of the feeder tube and press down, so if the plunger gets away from me, my finger will lessen the blow of the bb's against the feeder tube lips.
    The choice of plastic at the top of a metal magazine seems odd. The precautions you highlight all make good sense, think I'll start to load with fewer bbs as I want to keep the spring as is so that the lockback operates as it should. Fewer bbs might help in other pistols where double feeds occasionally occur.

I guess they would not sell as many if they were promoted as 7 or 8 shot, most users want convenience (fewer reloads); maybe they should have used an all metal magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    The choice of plastic at the top of a metal magazine seems odd. The precautions you highlight all make good sense, think I'll start to load with fewer bbs as I want to keep the spring as is so that the lockback operates as it should. Fewer bbs might help in other pistols where double feeds occasionally occur.

I guess they would not sell as many if they were promoted as 7 or 8 shot, most users want convenience (fewer reloads); maybe they should have used an all metal magazine.
    The 8 shot rotary clip pellet pistols seem to be selling ok.
    If I want to shoot 18 without reloading, I grab one of my Crosman C11's, or my Sigarms GSR (non blowback).
    I didn't realise that other blowback pistols were having the same problems, but if they operate mechanically the same way, it makes perfect sense to me, especially if they also have plastic feeder tubes.
    There is one other thing we have to consider when thinking about these problems, and thats how we release the bb plunger after loading. I keep seeing pistol reviews where the guys load the clips and then release the plunger, allowing the bb's to slam against the feeder tube. I think thats the worse thing you can do with these type of clips. I bet the guys who are having the least amount of trouble are letting their plungers up slowly.
    I always let my bb plungers up slowly, except with my Crosman C11's. With those, I put my finger on top of the feeder tube and press down, so when I release the plunger, the bb''s slam into my finger, not the retaining lips in the feeder tube. Too bad the instruction that come with these guns don't mention all these things

Here's a video I made about the magazines in these pistols.
    If you have had any jamming problems, you need to watch this video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxVjipp6a74

Magazine removal problem

I appreciate this is an old thread but I have a Swiss Arms 1911 pistol which seems to be suffering this problem with the auto lock back not working when the magazine is empty and not firing properly.

However, the main problem is I cannot even remove the magazine, it appears to be well and truly stuck. When I press the button there is no sign of it wanting to come out. Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong? I admit I'm new to this gun,

Quote Originally Posted by Freeonthree View Post
    The pistol is not at fault, it's the clip.
    The spring in the clip has more pressure than the plastic feeder tube at the top of the clip can endure.
    After a while, the feeder tube gets warn prematurely from the excessive spring pressure, and it starts double feeding or worse.
    I've spent many hours figuring out the cure for this problem.
    First of all, real 1911's hold 7 rounds, and these are replica's, so why not load 7 or 8 rounds, and make it more realistic ?
    I've found that if only 7 or 8 bb's are loaded at a time, the pressure on the feeder tube is alot less than if you load 18 bb's, and I believe the feeder tube can handle the pressure involved with 7 or 8 loaded.
    If you've been loading 18 bb's since the pistol was new, and the jamming has gotten worse over time, try loading 7 or 8 and see if that cures the problem.
    If it still jams, then the damage is done, but all is not lost.
    What you can do at that point is remove the spring retaining plate on the bottom of the clip, remove the spring, and cut 2 inches off the bottom (larger end), then reinstall.
    Now your pistol with operate dependable, even with 18 bb's, however the auto lockback (when the last bb is fired) will not function.
    I now have 2 clips with shortened springs, and they work great.
    With any new clips, only load 7 or 8 bb's and you should never have any problems as far as I can tell so far, but im still testing that theory.
    So far i've shot alot of rounds, and havn't had a single jamming issue with either of my 2 new clips.
    So we have 2 options, 18 rounds and no auto lockback with the clips that have shortened springs, or 7 or 8 rounds with the stock clips,and the pistol fully functioning.
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with these wonderful KWC made 1911 replica's, but the clips would be better if they had better quality plastic or even better, metal feeder tubes. I hope this helps alot of people experiencing problems with their KWC made 1911 blowback pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by robdav View Post
    I appreciate this is an old thread but I have a Swiss Arms 1911 pistol which seems to be suffering this problem with the auto lock back not working when the magazine is empty and not firing properly.

However, the main problem is I cannot even remove the magazine, it appears to be well and truly stuck. When I press the button there is no sign of it wanting to come out. Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong? I admit I'm new to this gun,
    Hello,
    Does your slide not lock back at all? Ever?

As for you not being able to eject the magazine and it's stuck maybe it's catching on the blowback unit loading nozzle. Can you rack / move the slide backwards by hand?
    If you can, do that first, then press the magazine release and see if the magazine drops..

Give it a try and let me know.

If you still struggle let me know..

ATB, Marc.
    Last edited by Marc.RG1; 23-06-2017 at 01:09 AM.
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Don't know if it helps, but when I lived abroad and had the real steel, I would never just release the slide lock and let the gun slam into battery.

I would hold the back of the slide and ease it back.

With guns made of soft metal this would make even more sense.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Cool

Thanks Marc. Got it working now.

I was able to rack in manually by hand but still the magazine wasn't coming out. I managed to apply a little pressure down through the top of the pistol, using a screwdriver, while pressing the magazine release clip and it came out along with a single BB which somehow seemed to be jamming the magazine. Have tested with 7 BB's only and it seems to be working as it should.

Thanks again.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    Hello,
    Does your slide not lock back at all? Ever?

As for you not being able to eject the magazine and it's stuck maybe it's catching on the blowback unit loading nozzle. Can you rack / move the slide backwards by hand?
    If you can, do that first, then press the magazine release and see if the magazine drops..

Give it a try and let me know.

If you still struggle let me know..

ATB, Marc.

I have given up with these guns (I have two).

The problem is indeed jamming - one was replaced three times from new. I have done everything mentioned here and more including complete stripdowns to search for errant bbs (none found).

Even with a new magazine and 8 bbs they both jam.

I have tried four different makes of bb and they all jam.

They are now just static models.