Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for a beginner

Advice for a beginner

Hi chaps.

I'll be looking to purchase a .223 as soon as my variation comes through and as some of you may know I've been in the process of constructing an outbuilding in my garden for all of my shooting equipment that will also incorporate a work bench for reloading.

Now, I'll be new to centrefire and new to reloading so I'm looking for advice as to what gear I'll need to make a start on reloading my own ammunition. What presses, dies, powder, scales or any other gear will I need? Are there any 'packs' available to buy for reloaders that encompass all the gear needed?

I believe in buying quality gear so I don't mind saving up for a while to buy something that will last but if there are products out there that represent good value for money I'd love to know about them

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Elliott; 06-08-2014 at 06:08 PM.

.22LR CZ452; .22 Hornet CZ527
    Tikka T3 Varmint .223; .204 Ruger CZ527 Varmint;
    6.5 Creed Bergara B14 HMR

vasbyt.skollie is offline The impossible I can do, Miracles take time..
    Hi, great stuff for rolling your own.

You haven't said what purpose you'll be loading for, is it for vermin, target, or both? So depending on the answer you'll need different spec items. Vermin, Lee dies, target, the most you can afford.

I use a Lee 50th anniversary press kit ( the press is very good with virtually no play on the ram ). I've substituted the scales for a redding no2 as I use a targetmaster trickler. I use redding dies as they're perfect and with lifetime warranty so get the best you can afford. I shoot my .223 out to 1100yrds using an 80gr A-Max doing 3100fps a load I've worked up with no pressure signs. ( using a 30" 1:7 twist Savage F/TR ) to 3/4moa at that range ( on a still day mind ).

Read allot, and use YouTube to get the basics under your belt. Take your time and enjoy it, it's addictive.

Take care

vasbyt
    Last edited by vasbyt.skollie; 06-08-2014 at 07:34 PM.
    Gas operative extraordinaire

Thumbs up

you never know you might be lucky and find a fellow bbs'er that'll take you under their charge to show you the ropes

Quote Originally Posted by vasbyt.skollie View Post
    Hi, great stuff for rolling your own.

You haven't said what purpose you'll be loading for, is it for vermin, target, or both? So depending on the answer you'll need different spec items. Vermin, Lee dies, target, the most you can afford.

I use a Lee 50th anniversary press kit ( the press is very good with virtually no play on the ram ). I've substituted the scales for a redding no2 as I use a targetmaster trickler. I use redding dies as they're perfect and with lifetime warranty so get the best you can afford. I shoot my .223 out to 1100yrds using an 80gr A-Max doing 3100fps a load I've worked up with no pressure signs. ( using a 30" 1:7 twist Savage F/TR ) to 3/4moa at that range ( on a still day mind ).

Read allot, and use YouTube to get the basics under your belt. Take your time and enjoy it, it's addictive.

Take care

vasbyt
    Thanks for that, it's mainly for vermin control.

I've heard about the Lee 50th anniversary kit. Can someone itemise all the essential bits needed to reload?

mmm this out building, will it be fully damp proof?hope so .223 is a simple to load cal ,start with a good manual and plenty of internet searching for pet loads.this will save you time and money as often you may find a common bullet /powder theme to fine tune to your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Thanks for that, it's mainly for vermin control.

I've heard about the Lee 50th anniversary kit. Can someone itemise all the essential bits needed to reload?
    Rather than a single station press why not look at some of the turret presses; more than adequate for most rifle cartridges and you don't have to faff about changing dies all the time.

I use a Lyman Spar Turret press (First press bought over 30 years ago & still going strong, used for .3006, .308, 8mm, .303, .223, 6mm, .243, .357, 9mm, & .45.)
    I also use a Lee 4 station Classic turret press, a Lee Pro 1000 progressive & I've also got a RCBS Rock-chucker.

I also use the Lee auto Prime primer tools (One for large & one for small primers-can't be asrsed changing over)

Any good beam balance will do the job but you may wish to upgrade eventually to a decent electronic scales/dispense such as the RCBS Chargemaster or the Lyman equivalent.

You could, of course go the full hog and get a Dillon progressive set-up.

What's your budget????????????? That's the most important thing.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Check out the stickie

"The grass is always greener on the other side"

As a novice reloader I would keep it simple with a single stage press. As a varmint shooter your not likely to need hundreds of rounds.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

List of minimal set up follows. Based on your request for quality gear, I've assumed that this means gear that will outlive you and also cope with reloading any cartridge you might want to tackle in the future.

Priorities are a loading manual (Lyman is excellent) and mechanical scales (any quality manufacturer, eg. RCBS, Lyman, Redding).

I'd recommend a high quality single stage press, the RCBS Rock Chucker is excellent.

.223 Dies set. I have had great results with Lee dies and their factory crimp die; they're cheap too and include shell holder and a powder dipper.

With the above you can safely assemble extremely consistent .223 cartridges. Assuming that you have the basic consumables, i.e. powder, primers, bullets and case lube (the spray stuff is easiest to use).

You can get turret or progressive presses down the line, you will never regret owning a high quality single stage press. Same with scales, all sorts of wonderful electronic scales and dispensers, but it's good to be able to verify everything with reliable mechanical scales.

There are a few items that if added to the minimal list above will make life easier:

A loading block for cases.

A powder measure, trickler and funnel.

Vernier calipers.

Case trimmer.

Hand primer (the Lee auto prime is good).

You say you want to buy quality gear, then look at Redding, RCBS, Hornady or Forster, in fact anything other then Lee.
    There is no doubt that accurate ammo can be assmebled on Lee gear but its made for the lower budget end of the market so quality is sadly lacking.
    I have watched your vids and can see that you like to push the envelope, i reckon you will most likely become a keen handloader and not a reloader who feeds his rifle just for economy.
    Do yourself a favour and spend once and spend well.

TB.

Redding

Hi,

It's Redding all the way. Well made exceptional quality kit and the competition dies are the equal of wilson dies in accuracy but a lot easier to use.

I've been using my kit for 15 years and have not had to replace anything through wear and tear and everything bis as tight as the daybI bought it.

An old saying but stands tidat 'buy the best you can afford, or more, and only cry once' :-)))

ATB
    Simon
    'A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.' - Rudyard Kipling

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by Treebone View Post
    You say you want to buy quality gear, then look at Redding, RCBS, Hornady or Forster, in fact anything other then Lee.
    There is no doubt that accurate ammo can be assmebled on Lee gear but its made for the lower budget end of the market so quality is sadly lacking.
    I have watched your vids and can see that you like to push the envelope, i reckon you will most likely become a keen handloader and not a reloader who feeds his rifle just for economy.
    Do yourself a favour and spend once and spend well.

TB.
    I have to agree with that in part.

You can get some very good accurate loads with lee equipment, but a good press will last a lifetime.

The issue to me is, as a beginner, if the Lee kit was not doing what it should, would you spot it?

The point about damp proofing is a good one. A lot of the steel parts in reloading kit can/will rust, and some of them just dont do well when oiled (the rotor on a powder thrower is one example, they dont want oil near them).

I keep all my dies etc in old H83 ammo tins (MTM waterproof boxes may be lighter and more elegant but I had a few about) and plastic bags/covers over the press/thrower.

My mancave has since been bricked up but you still need to monitor for rust.

I find a thin film of sizing wax on steel surfaces can keep them in good nick and it does not migrate like oil.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

Hi chaps.

I'll be looking to purchase a .223 as soon as my variation comes through and as some of you may know I've been in the process of constructing an outbuilding in my garden for all of my shooting equipment that will also incorporate a work bench for reloading.

Now, I'll be new to centrefire and new to reloading so I'm looking for advice as to what gear I'll need to make a start on reloading my own ammunition. What presses, dies, powder, scales or any other gear will I need? Are there any 'packs' available to buy for reloaders that encompass all the gear needed?

I believe in buying quality gear so I don't mind saving up for a while to buy something that will last but if there are products out there that represent good value for money I'd love to know about them

Thanks in advance
    I got the Hornady Classic lock n load kit, that gives you everything, bar the specific dies n shell holders+ your ammo bits.
    Ordered it in at Malmo guns, who done me a good deal. I dont like the little electronic scales you get, but I think they're all the same.
    Started out, watching you tube and got myself up and running ok.

I booked myself in at Yorkshire School of Reloading over in Huddersfield, on a reloading course..... I think it cost about £120.
    Good course, nice bloke and lots of interesting yarns....... It made me more confident and happy that I was doing it safely.

You take your own rifle and they help you concoct a good load, you then go on the range to check it out. I have a 223 as well. The guy uses 55gr blitzkings and as much as I've tried, I can't better the round we put together on that course. The last time I checked, when trying other bullet/powder quantities, my bitzking three hole group was cloverleaf.... touching each other @100yds, You'd have to single hole your group, to better it.
    Well worth doing, in my opinion.

Thanks chaps, taken on board. It seems there's quite a divide with the Lee equipment. I'll way it all up but may end up splashing out that little bit more and going for the slightly more expensive gear - who knows, we'll see. I think to wet my appetite I'll buy a reloading manual before I purchase anything to swat up and see exactly what is involved.

With regards to the outbuilding, I'll keep a close eye on things to see if any damp creeps in. It's not going to be heated 24/7 like a house so perhaps I'll need to make sure all my gear is disassembled and stored in boxes. Hopefully not as it would be a bit of a faff.

Here's a picture of the building:

Thanks chaps, taken on board. It seems there's quite a divide with the Lee equipment. I'll way it all up but may end up splashing out that little bit more and going for the slightly more expensive gear - who knows, we'll see. I think to wet my appetite I'll buy a reloading manual before I purchase anything to swat up and see exactly what is involved.

With regards to the outbuilding, I'll keep a close eye on things to see if any damp creeps in. It's not going to be heated 24/7 like a house so perhaps I'll need to make sure all my gear is disassembled and stored in boxes. Hopefully not as it would be a bit of a faff.

Here's a picture of the building:
    Hi mate i no that there is a love or hate going on over lee reloading stuff the kit is good for the money just don't use the scales they are crap get some rcbs or lyman ATB