Thread: best tumbler

leadpig is offline sheet lead welder extraordinaire

best tumbler

B/D looming and mrs keeps asking me what i want
    i could do with a tumbler and have been looking at the Lyman Turbo 1200 PRO Tumbler or the Hornady M2 Case tumbler
    which one is best and why

ps i want the rebel 17 but the price is ridiculous

Either of those will do the job. I personally have the Lyman1200 and it's great with the green corncob (red walnut with the rouge leaves everything with a film of rouge on, but clean underneath).

If she really loves you ask for a Thumler stainless steel jobbie, does a much better job in a fraction of the time - even cleans right in the primer pocket. You just have to dry the cases afterwards, 10 minutes in the oven at lowest heat or leave out in a tray in the workshop for a day or two, depends on ambient temp and how quick I need them.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

that is the same as the rebel is it not, and a similar price
    i want a set of scales out of her as well

Quote Originally Posted by sarge4318 View Post
    Either of those will do the job. I personally have the Lyman1200 and it's great with the green corncob (red walnut with the rouge leaves everything with a film of rouge on, but clean underneath).

If she really loves you ask for a Thumler stainless steel jobbie, does a much better job in a fraction of the time - even cleans right in the primer pocket. You just have to dry the cases afterwards, 10 minutes in the oven at lowest heat or leave out in a tray in the workshop for a day or two, depends on ambient temp and how quick I need them.
    You are using too much Red Rouge if this happens.

Another vote for the Lyman 1200.

Another + for the Lyman pro tumbler , I have 3 of them which do the job nicely
    mike

as above i have the lyman turbo 1200 and it does a good enough job,i leave about 200 .357 cases in for about 1.5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
    You are using too much Red Rouge if this happens.
    Just what comes in the TufNut tub, it is already premixed. In the end I binned it and went back to the corncob (green) media, maybe I could have blended the two types and got something better than both.

But since I got the Thumler the Lyman is only used for the occasional small batch or when the tumbler is otherwise occupied and I think the large tub of corncob I got will last a very long time.
    Good deals with: Muskett, Dreben, roger.kerry, TALL, Helidave1, Chelseablue, Leeroy7031, Mousemann, pnuk, Practical, NEWFI, HOOGS, Webb22, lazybones1416 and deanw5262 among others. Thanks Guys.

Media Life

Hello there

Just bought a new Lyman 1200 pro to find no instructions. managed to get them of the web but it does not tell you everything. It came with some free media, its like a red colour. How long does this last. I have about 300 .44 cases in total. Have read the forum about adding bits of rags to keep it fresh.

Cheers

Daz
    BSA Ultra 1.77, Grand Power K22 .22 Pistol, CZ452 Thumbstock .22LR, Marlin .44 Magnum Underleaver, Taurus .44 Magnum

mine just got delivered a hour ago
    what do you need to know, very little in the manual

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzak View Post
    Hello there

Just bought a new Lyman 1200 pro to find no instructions. managed to get them of the web but it does not tell you everything. It came with some free media, its like a red colour. How long does this last. I have about 300 .44 cases in total. Have read the forum about adding bits of rags to keep it fresh.

Cheers

Daz
    The Red media is Tufnut and is classed as polishing media compared to the Green corncob which is more a cleaning media , although I have only used the green stuff I have found there to be different types of that , as one really makes the cases sparkle and another isn't so effective . Adding rag or tissue will collect some of the dusty crap out of the bowl while you are tumbling . My cases are already cleaned beforehand with an Ultrasonic cleaner and I just use my tumblers for a bit more bling , so my media doesn't really get dirty as such .
    mike

OK so assuming I just use what was free in the box how many cleans would I be able to pass through it are we talking 10 times then throw away 50 or 100? How will I know when to replace it?

Cheers

Daz
    BSA Ultra 1.77, Grand Power K22 .22 Pistol, CZ452 Thumbstock .22LR, Marlin .44 Magnum Underleaver, Taurus .44 Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by leadpig View Post
    mine just got delivered a hour ago
    what do you need to know, very little in the manual
    I just wanted to know how many cleans I can put through the media

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzak View Post
    OK so assuming I just use what was free in the box how many cleans would I be able to pass through it are we talking 10 times then throw away 50 or 100?
    How long is a piece of string?

It will depend upon how dirty they were before they were cleaned and how long you leave them in.

How will I know when to replace it?

Cheers

Daz
    When it stops cleaning as you like it to, or you find it takes a lot longer to get to the clean state you like.

You should be able to get many more cleans than 10, whether you get to 50, I don't know I have never deemed it necessary to count. I use mine until I can't stand its performance and then I bin it and replace with fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by sarge4318 View Post
    How long is a piece of string?

It will depend upon how dirty they were before they were cleaned and how long you leave them in.

When it stops cleaning as you like it to, or you find it takes a lot longer to get to the clean state you like.

You should be able to get many more cleans than 10, whether you get to 50, I don't know I have never deemed it necessary to count. I use mine until I can't stand its performance and then I bin it and replace with fresh.
    cheers for that makes senses i suppose

daz