Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Silencers, muzzle blast and accuracy. Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by David Snook

The Pie Man

The spacing from the separator cone from the muzzle crown and the cone hole diameter could be critical. I rather think that the GML stripper has got these dimensions right, although I do not know what they are.

I am sure you are on the right track and your investigations need fine-tuning.

NOTE

When testing please ensure that conditions are completely still, the slightest breeze can make millimetres difference at 35 yards that can ruin the observation of these subtle effects. While testing in very still conditions, VERY small groups can be attained with known “trusty” guns. The whole purpose of this endeavour is to tighten up groups at long (45 yards plus) ranges and to eliminate mysterious “flyers”. These “flyers” can cost a competitive marksman dearly and need our collective effort to eliminate.

David
    Ideally we are all trying to find the "right configeration" or cone distance/hole diameter & angle etc, and i think this is the way forward, to combine or tests and results and see if there is a answer to the many questions ahead.
    I am hooked on this thread, and will try and fit in some more testing soon.
    Harv
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

Beer Hunter Guest
    I would have thought that dispersing the volume of air in front of the pellet would have been just as important as the blast behind it.
    The pellet is effectively acting as a plunger, pushing and compressing the air up the barrel as it accelerates – this air must create a fair vortex as it leaves the barrel.

wornspring Guest
    Thank you for the info david, you can keep the silencer I dont want paying I will make one with a cone close to the muzzle when I have time then test
    I have noticed that MY AA S 400 does tend to have flyers and some inconsistency after it has been filled but the accuracy improves after 20 ish shots (heading for the sweet spot) So for comps its fill shoot on zero range till grouping then check pressure is sufficent for the round then put gun away till comp

Pete

Thanks for your kind "donation".

May I suggest that a good starting point is to look at the GML brake for a good idea for an air stripper design.

The "sweet spot" accuracy theory needs more support, but there are other shooters that have noticed the same effect, including myself.

David