Thread: Case lube

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grim_reaper View Post
    I mostly neck size so I use the imperial dry lube, which is graphite powder on little ceramic beads. It's as simple as undo the pot and dip the cartridge neck deep in the ceramic media, pull the cartridge out and it's dry lubed, no mess, no fuss. If full length sizing I do the same on the neck then use a RCBS lube pad and lube on the body. I echo the previous comments about the RCBS being mega efficient.
    Do you need to lubricate if neck sizing only?

Spray lube,

Hornady One Shot or RCBS Case Slick.

Very fast for volume reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner. View Post
    I have never lubricated on any of the calibres I reload for when neck sizing, However, I only use Wilson, Redding and RCBS - don't know anything about Lee dies.

I see there are numerous recommendations about which lube to use - I personally don't know anybody that I know who has used Imperial Sizing Wax and decided to try another type of lube - know lots who are still 'lost in the desert' trying different messy things. And, for that matter don't know anyone who lubes the whole of inside of their cases.

You only need to use the lube if your doing a full length resize with
    the Lee dies

Quote Originally Posted by Spanner. View Post
    No, I just always have.
    Good deals: longy0710, Antonov, hairlesshunter, Gnome of the Woods, pinguisgod, zx10mike, matt007, Sir slots alot.

No need with the neck dies. You also need it if you your loading 357mag and don't buy the
    tungsten carbide dies. you just get the steel ones

Hornady sizing wax, gave up with pads and rcbs lube. I just put a smear inside the neck, works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal1 View Post
    Hornady sizing wax, gave up with pads and rcbs lube. I just put a smear inside the neck, works perfectly.
    Obviously a broad market here, I used lee on the finger graduated to RCBS lube pad, ready for next step presumably spray on? I do however lube inside with brush/cotton bud using very fine graphite which i picked up from a lee or RCBS vid, but use sparingly and i recall it wasn't a good idea to use graphite on the outside? not sure why any more knowledge on this one?
    Optomist

Quote Originally Posted by Optomist View Post
    Obviously a broad market here, I used lee on the finger graduated to RCBS lube pad, ready for next step presumably spray on? I do however lube inside with brush/cotton bud using very fine graphite which i picked up from a lee or RCBS vid, but use sparingly and i recall it wasn't a good idea to use graphite on the outside? not sure why any more knowledge on this one?
    Optomist
    Using graphite on the outside of the neck is fine, it's not really man enough for the outside of the body. The imperial Application Media I was on about earlier is designed to coat the inside and outside of the neck. http://www.redding-reloading.com/ind...ial-lubricants

I have got some Imperial wax which is good stuff and I do use it occasionally but I generally just go for the RCBS pad and lube. It seems easier to grab half a dozen cases, dip the necks in the graphite, roll the body back and forth along the pad, wack em through the FL sizer and give the body a wipe with a rag and methylated spirits.

Some people use wet lube on the neck area but it can cause dents on the shoulders and you have to be extra vigilant when cleaning the inside of the case neck so you don't get lube in with your propellant. Some people use no lube at all for neck sizing which you can get away with in the sense that the brass is unlikely to get stuck in the same way it would when full length sizing, but it isn't good for the brass, the die body or the expander button. It can also contribute to hardening and galling of the cartridge neck. That said some people do it and never suffer any ill effects. The exception to all this is the Lee collet die, which as far as I know is unique in the way it works and needs no lube. It does come with the potential for it's own set of problems though. I have never used one but they seem to be loved or hated.
    Good deals: longy0710, Antonov, hairlesshunter, Gnome of the Woods, pinguisgod, zx10mike, matt007, Sir slots alot.

Quote Originally Posted by grim_reaper View Post
    Some people use no lube at all for neck sizing which you can get away with in the sense that the brass is unlikely to get stuck in the same way it would when full length sizing, but it isn't good for the brass, the die body or the expander button. It can also contribute to hardening and galling of the cartridge neck. That said some people do it and never suffer any ill effects. .
    Well I must be one of the 'some people' On two of my own calibres when neck sizing I have never 'lubed' or waxed and many of the cases have been reloaded over 20 times and usually give up on either loose primers or early signs of case separation. Come to think of it the 19 other people I reload for covering 29 rifles and 12 different calibres ranging from 17 Rem to 30R Blaser none have the case necks lubed - in fact a good many have never known an expander drawn through them.