Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Case lube

Ruger_shooter is offline Meadowlark Lemon's Personal Tailor
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_S View Post
    I use the Lee lube. its about £3 a tube. works ok
    This is what I use, never have any dents or sticking cases.

Hornady one shot but the Aerosol not pump bottle

I full length sized 400 case in about 40 mins the other day

then 30 minute sin the stainless thumlber and ready to go

Quote Originally Posted by Optomist View Post
    Obviously a broad market here, I used lee on the finger graduated to RCBS lube pad, ready for next step presumably spray on? I do however lube inside with brush/cotton bud using very fine graphite which i picked up from a lee or RCBS vid, but use sparingly and i recall it wasn't a good idea to use graphite on the outside? not sure why any more knowledge on this one?
    Optomist
    Using graphite on the outside of the neck is fine, it's not really man enough for the outside of the body. The imperial Application Media I was on about earlier is designed to coat the inside and outside of the neck. http://www.redding-reloading.com/ind...ial-lubricants

I have got some Imperial wax which is good stuff and I do use it occasionally but I generally just go for the RCBS pad and lube. It seems easier to grab half a dozen cases, dip the necks in the graphite, roll the body back and forth along the pad, wack em through the FL sizer and give the body a wipe with a rag and methylated spirits.

Some people use wet lube on the neck area but it can cause dents on the shoulders and you have to be extra vigilant when cleaning the inside of the case neck so you don't get lube in with your propellant. Some people use no lube at all for neck sizing which you can get away with in the sense that the brass is unlikely to get stuck in the same way it would when full length sizing, but it isn't good for the brass, the die body or the expander button. It can also contribute to hardening and galling of the cartridge neck. That said some people do it and never suffer any ill effects. The exception to all this is the Lee collet die, which as far as I know is unique in the way it works and needs no lube. It does come with the potential for it's own set of problems though. I have never used one but they seem to be loved or hated.
    Good deals: longy0710, Antonov, hairlesshunter, Gnome of the Woods, pinguisgod, zx10mike, matt007, Sir slots alot.

Quote Originally Posted by grim_reaper View Post
    Some people use no lube at all for neck sizing which you can get away with in the sense that the brass is unlikely to get stuck in the same way it would when full length sizing, but it isn't good for the brass, the die body or the expander button. It can also contribute to hardening and galling of the cartridge neck. That said some people do it and never suffer any ill effects. .
    Well I must be one of the 'some people' On two of my own calibres when neck sizing I have never 'lubed' or waxed and many of the cases have been reloaded over 20 times and usually give up on either loose primers or early signs of case separation. Come to think of it the 19 other people I reload for covering 29 rifles and 12 different calibres ranging from 17 Rem to 30R Blaser none have the case necks lubed - in fact a good many have never known an expander drawn through them.

I have to guess that those who still use the Lee lube have never actually tried the Imperial sizing wax.

Guys, it is so much less messy and the effort needed to resize is at least halved.

Try it - you will throw the Lee water-based stuff in the bin!
    For professional guided Deer & Wild Boar Stalking, practical stalking intro's & Deer related training, DSC1 & 2 preparation & witnessing, Field Rifle coaching
    Go to www.farringtonds.com - or call me on Tel: 07798 771 062

Quote Originally Posted by Mod View Post
    I have to guess that those who still use the Lee lube have never actually tried the Imperial sizing wax.

Guys, it is so much less messy and the effort needed to resize is at least halved.

Try it - you will throw the Lee water-based stuff in the bin!
    +1

Royal Sizing Wax (from HPS-TR) for the body (and after 2 years of reloading for 3 different riffles, I've just finished the blob that was on the inside of the lid and have started on the actual content of the tub !) and a home-made concoction of 2/3mm ball bearing and graphite in a screw-top tub (think it was a make up holder from a travel set post 9/11) for the neck.

Lightest smear of wax on every case, dunk the neck in the graphite, into the press. Job done. Smooth sizing, no dents, no stuck cases.

Quote Originally Posted by dicehorn View Post
    Well I must be one of the 'some people' On two of my own calibres when neck sizing I have never 'lubed' or waxed and many of the cases have been reloaded over 20 times and usually give up on either loose primers or early signs of case separation. Come to think of it the 19 other people I reload for covering 29 rifles and 12 different calibres ranging from 17 Rem to 30R Blaser none have the case necks lubed - in fact a good many have never known an expander drawn through them.
    Well Mr dicehorn, if that works for you then carry on, I wouldn't presume to question your practices. I didn't mean anything derogatory with the tearm 'some people' I was just making the point that it's the choice of some people but not all. Others on this thread asked several questions so I outlined what I do and some other options. I'm not so arrogant to presume that my way is the only way, or even the best way.

So what say we chill out, have a big ol virtual man hug and keep trying to help here whenever we can?
    Good deals: longy0710, Antonov, hairlesshunter, Gnome of the Woods, pinguisgod, zx10mike, matt007, Sir slots alot.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by grim_reaper View Post
    Well Mr dicehorn, if that works for you then carry on, I wouldn't presume to question your practices. I didn't mean anything derogatory with the tearm 'some people' I was just making the point that it's the choice of some people but not all. Others on this thread asked several questions so I outlined what I do and some other options. I'm not so arrogant to presume that my way is the only way, or even the best way.

So what say we chill out, have a big ol virtual man hug and keep trying to help here whenever we can?
    GM - not taken as derogatory and nothing intended to be pointed at you personally. Its just that having been reloading for a shed load of years and having tried most of the lubes and sprays and then reading about and buying a tin of Imp Sizing Wax about 15 years ago having just had some shoulders dented using too much lube, as a disciple of the wax I need to spread the word!!

Big virtual hug to you too Sir !! Also agree about helping others - I have had several forum members from various UK forums spend time with me on a one to one basis with reloading.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dicehorn View Post
    GM - not taken as derogatory and nothing intended to be pointed at you personally. Its just that having been reloading for a shed load of years and having tried most of the lubes and sprays and then reading about and buying a tin of Imp Sizing Wax about 15 years ago having just had some shoulders dented using too much lube, as a disciple of the wax I need to spread the word!!

Big virtual hug to you too Sir !! Also agree about helping others - I have had several forum members from various UK forums spend time with me on a one to one basis with reloading.
    That'll do for me!