Thread: Hw95k & hw57k

Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent

Hw95k & hw57k

A story of two rifles, picture here.

First I had a cheap springer in .22, then two very nice PCPs in .177. I adored both the AA410 (BT regulated) and the Falcon FN12 Raptor Lighthunter that replaced it, but I wasn't getting out hunting as often as I like and it was a lot of kit (cylinder etc) sitting about gathering dust. Also, PCPs... they're a bit dull aren't they ?

So I set about finding a lightweight springer. I'm never going to have the physique for an TX200, as much as I'd like one, and being somebody who always champions an underdog I rather liked the HW57 with it's generally unpopular pop up breech. I shot one at BelvoirCastle one year and that was it, off to the Airgun Centre I went, cash in hand, they tried to talk me out of it but that's what I bought... in.22, More about that gun later.

In April 2014 there was a lot of noise here and on other forums about the SFS Imp and I wanted one. Despite the great distance, I travelled north and was delighted by the welcome I received from Tony & Sol at SFS, I tried an Imp on the range, loved it and was on the cusp of ordering one, they are only available in .22 but it was soooo smooth and accurate. Then something strange happened, Tony Wall must have hypnotised me, the next thing I knew I had ordered a HW95K in .177 with an SFS tune. How did that happen ? I paid a deposit and spent the next couple of months kicking myself for not sticking to my.... (oh bugger you know what I mean).

The day came to pick it up and I was full of excitement, I bought a scope (Hawke Panorama EV 3-9x40 MAP 6a) and following Sol's advice I went against my judgement and opted for a two piece mount rather than a onepiece. A BufalloRiverslip and a swivel-less sling completed the purchase.

I got home and found the scope wouldn't zoom past 6X, I didn't want to mess about so I emailed SFS (830pm on Thursday evening) and Tony replied almost straight away - what service ! In short, he arranged with Deben to collect the scope from me at my convenience and he even offered to loan me a scope in the interim. In under 48 hours of the scope being collected it was back with me, fixed. Okay so a dodgy scope out of the box, but how about that for service from Deben and SFS ?!

Well, in short I have no regrets, being a .177 it is still a little lively but it feels great, is smooth, relatively quiet and after 500 pellets it has got even better. The best news is that I can actually shoot it quite well and I'm no champion.

It likes the ubiquitous Superdomes best of all - see 30 yard target card.

Chrony F1, gun from cold says:

780 / 792 / 793 / 790 / 795 / 789 / 786 / 783 / 787 / 797
    ES 14.81
    SD 4.58
    AV 788.6 = 11.44 fpe, lovely !

The weight and balance of the rifle is perfect for me and I love the thumb ledge. The trigger, which is fettled by SFS, is so good and the scope is clear and crisp. The whole outfit balances nicely. Oh and that Hawke two piece mount... miles better than the BSA Scopemaster one piece that I previously favoured, far, far more robust.

I had never thought much about parallax before but saw a guide on YouTube and have tested the scope and recalibrated the markings to suit my dodgy old eyes, it has made my shooting much better and I commend anyone who hasn't done so yet to do the same !

All in all a big thank you to Tony and Sol, I have no connection (look at where I live) but having heard comments from as few SFS detractors I can only say that my experience could not have been better. I love the rifle, a real keeper so what about the HW57K ?

Well after the initial purchase I eventually got the rifle to VMach for some 'special work at the barrel end' (see the pic). After a year or two it had become incredibly inconsistent and power was down to 9fpe; so on the day I collected the HW95K I drove a little further to see a certain Mr Wonky Donky (AKA Dave Price) of BBS tuning fame.

What a kind and knowledgeable fellow he is, I would love to spend a week in his company absorbing a little of his knowledge. I left the rifle with him on Tuesday and by Thursday he was on the phone having completed the work; new spring, guide, top hat and piston bearings. The rifle was returned to me very well packaged and he has kept in touch with me since. Well I have not had a lot of time for shooting but a chrono test from cold showed:

FTT 14.66grain
    599 / 607 / 601 / 607 / 596 / 598 / 600 / 595 / 600 / 598 /
    Av 600
    ES 12.2
    SD 4.0

11.72 fpe

AA Field 16grain
    579 / 577 / 575 / 569 / 571 / 574 / 570 / 576 / 569 / 578
    AV 574
    ES 10.6
    SD 3.74

11.70 fpe

I cannot wait to do some serious practice with both rifles, but I fear one will end up being my favourite which seems a shame and I have to say the balance, weight and fit of the 95K does seem to suit me but we will see in due course. What a lovely position to be in !

Thanks to Dave and SFS and thank you for looking; happy shooting one and all.
    Last edited by Bad Beagle; 17-08-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: spacing
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

Interesting post.

Nice looking rifles.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

a mate of mine swears by there service ,I do like what they do to a rifle he has both 77k and a 98 plus the cheiftain all nice and smooooth plus I do like superdomes
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

Nice review, can you keep us updated about the HW57 as it seems to be a real marmite gun?

Be good to hear your final thoughts on it now its been tuned.

thanks,

Ed

I won't be doing much shooting as off to F1 at Spa but when I'm back I shall post some updates re both guns.
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others

nice reviews, like the both and own both. My 57 in .22 has a full welsh-willi tune and transformed a poor gun in to a superb one. The 95 is .177 actually its a SFS Banshee2 in .177 quite simply awesome and sits in a very nice GINB stock with nice brass trguer gard.

I owned a hw57 in .177 a few years back and always wish I hadn't got rid of it.
    It was loud and hard to shoot sometimes which I no was down to my poor technic.
    I sometimes got it right and it was very satisfying.
    It loved hn ftts.

I pretty much had a similar thing in that I originally was going to buy a UK made BSA lightning XL tactical after buying and not liking a TX200 MK3. Got too the shop and even though the lightning XL was there, it shot well and was everything I wanted out of a springer for hunting. I left with a HW95k.

At first it was very harsh, not too much twang but it kicked like a mule which left me with a nice cut above my eye from the scope which wasn't even that far back. So with no intention on returning or selling it so I set about home tuning it. At first opening it the spring was roughly cut with a fair bit of preload, barely any grease, no top hat and lots of rough edges. 1 month later, about £90 and its finally done as of 5 hours ago today. I've polish the internals, managed to get a Vortek kit from a guy on facebook (this was a pain in the a$$ to get working right) and had the standard piston buttoned and smoothed out.

Its now silky smooth, shooting 11.3 with FTT and getting 10p groups with hunter extremes and FTT at 30 yards unsupported. Extremely happy with it now!

update

Been shooting the windfall plums in my garden today at 40 yards. That 95K in girlie caliber hits em hard and is deadly accurate; I think I'm back in lurve with.177.

The 57 is so smooth gentle and quiet but I seem to have lost the ability to shoot it accurately. ... is that common after shooting 'the other caliber' ? I feel it may be the different balance.

Well as a result I will take the 95K rabbiting tomorrow and have loaned the 57 to a friend who recently had his own guns stolen; it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Very interesting review. Thanks

Nice review on 2 of my fave HW,s. MY 95 is a Sandwell Feild Sports Banshee 2 in .177 in a GINB stock with nice brass triguer gaurd, the 57 is in .22 and was bought 2nd hand. The 57 was awful at first but after passing it to my good friend Will Gerke aka Welsh Willi it returnded has a gun transformerd. Accurate and powerfull 11.2 with air arms domes, the 95 dose 11.3 with the same pellets- enjoy

Out lamping on Thursday from the Disco. James drove with my 57, me pax with 95. Very few bunnies about but I had two and James got one too. He hadn't had a chance to practice at all with 57 so his shot goes to show the gun is accurate enough..... Oh dear that means it's me then 😩

I bought a very little used HW57 .22 it took about a tin of pellets to settle down and stop dieseling and with a 1 piece mount and a Zero Option 3-9x50 scope i can hit knockover targets at 50 yards thought not 10 / 10 as i don't profess to being a great shot but its a cracking rifle for the money being nice a light with good accuracy i'm very pleased with it

Quote Originally Posted by LuckySeven View Post
    I bought a very little used HW57 .22 it took about a tin of pellets to settle down and stop dieseling and with a 1 piece mount and a Zero Option 3-9x50 scope i can hit knockover targets at 50 yards thought not 10 / 10 as i don't profess to being a great shot but its a cracking rifle for the money being nice a light with good accuracy i'm very pleased with it
    yes I think its a very underated gun, enjoy.