Thread: Hw95k & hw57k

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Opposite the cow-field, just outside Dover, Kent

Hw95k & hw57k

A story of two rifles, picture here.

First I had a cheap springer in .22, then two very nice PCPs in .177. I adored both the AA410 (BT regulated) and the Falcon FN12 Raptor Lighthunter that replaced it, but I wasn't getting out hunting as often as I like and it was a lot of kit (cylinder etc) sitting about gathering dust. Also, PCPs... they're a bit dull aren't they ?

So I set about finding a lightweight springer. I'm never going to have the physique for an TX200, as much as I'd like one, and being somebody who always champions an underdog I rather liked the HW57 with it's generally unpopular pop up breech. I shot one at BelvoirCastle one year and that was it, off to the Airgun Centre I went, cash in hand, they tried to talk me out of it but that's what I bought... in.22, More about that gun later.

In April 2014 there was a lot of noise here and on other forums about the SFS Imp and I wanted one. Despite the great distance, I travelled north and was delighted by the welcome I received from Tony & Sol at SFS, I tried an Imp on the range, loved it and was on the cusp of ordering one, they are only available in .22 but it was soooo smooth and accurate. Then something strange happened, Tony Wall must have hypnotised me, the next thing I knew I had ordered a HW95K in .177 with an SFS tune. How did that happen ? I paid a deposit and spent the next couple of months kicking myself for not sticking to my.... (oh bugger you know what I mean).

The day came to pick it up and I was full of excitement, I bought a scope (Hawke Panorama EV 3-9x40 MAP 6a) and following Sol's advice I went against my judgement and opted for a two piece mount rather than a onepiece. A BufalloRiverslip and a swivel-less sling completed the purchase.

I got home and found the scope wouldn't zoom past 6X, I didn't want to mess about so I emailed SFS (830pm on Thursday evening) and Tony replied almost straight away - what service ! In short, he arranged with Deben to collect the scope from me at my convenience and he even offered to loan me a scope in the interim. In under 48 hours of the scope being collected it was back with me, fixed. Okay so a dodgy scope out of the box, but how about that for service from Deben and SFS ?!

Well, in short I have no regrets, being a .177 it is still a little lively but it feels great, is smooth, relatively quiet and after 500 pellets it has got even better. The best news is that I can actually shoot it quite well and I'm no champion.

It likes the ubiquitous Superdomes best of all - see 30 yard target card.

Chrony F1, gun from cold says:

780 / 792 / 793 / 790 / 795 / 789 / 786 / 783 / 787 / 797
    ES 14.81
    SD 4.58
    AV 788.6 = 11.44 fpe, lovely !

The weight and balance of the rifle is perfect for me and I love the thumb ledge. The trigger, which is fettled by SFS, is so good and the scope is clear and crisp. The whole outfit balances nicely. Oh and that Hawke two piece mount... miles better than the BSA Scopemaster one piece that I previously favoured, far, far more robust.

I had never thought much about parallax before but saw a guide on YouTube and have tested the scope and recalibrated the markings to suit my dodgy old eyes, it has made my shooting much better and I commend anyone who hasn't done so yet to do the same !

All in all a big thank you to Tony and Sol, I have no connection (look at where I live) but having heard comments from as few SFS detractors I can only say that my experience could not have been better. I love the rifle, a real keeper so what about the HW57K ?

Well after the initial purchase I eventually got the rifle to VMach for some 'special work at the barrel end' (see the pic). After a year or two it had become incredibly inconsistent and power was down to 9fpe; so on the day I collected the HW95K I drove a little further to see a certain Mr Wonky Donky (AKA Dave Price) of BBS tuning fame.

What a kind and knowledgeable fellow he is, I would love to spend a week in his company absorbing a little of his knowledge. I left the rifle with him on Tuesday and by Thursday he was on the phone having completed the work; new spring, guide, top hat and piston bearings. The rifle was returned to me very well packaged and he has kept in touch with me since. Well I have not had a lot of time for shooting but a chrono test from cold showed:

FTT 14.66grain
    599 / 607 / 601 / 607 / 596 / 598 / 600 / 595 / 600 / 598 /
    Av 600
    ES 12.2
    SD 4.0

11.72 fpe

AA Field 16grain
    579 / 577 / 575 / 569 / 571 / 574 / 570 / 576 / 569 / 578
    AV 574
    ES 10.6
    SD 3.74

11.70 fpe

I cannot wait to do some serious practice with both rifles, but I fear one will end up being my favourite which seems a shame and I have to say the balance, weight and fit of the 95K does seem to suit me but we will see in due course. What a lovely position to be in !

Thanks to Dave and SFS and thank you for looking; happy shooting one and all.
    Last edited by Bad Beagle; 17-08-2014 at 05:19 PM. Reason: spacing
    Good deals with Mark3HuntsmanSam, Cannon Fodder, Guy, Jon, Peddy, Negotiator, Devon Shooter, Ninapuppy, Custard 1, Bob Brown, TopDog, Dave The Frame, / Sam99, Ballie, Nautilus21, edbear2, eredel, among others