Thread: I'm thinking of getting another HW45.

I'm thinking of getting another HW45.

I had one about 20 years ago and found it, shall we say, challenging.

However, I'm a better shot than I used to be, after six years of shooting full bore pistols while living abroad . By that I mean I have a better idea of trigger control, follow through, target acquisition and breathing control.

It will be in 177.

I used to use RWS Hobby in my last one. Is this still considered a decent pellet for the 45?
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

BigEars Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur John Smithsplease View Post

However, I'm a better shot than I used to be, after six years of shooting full bore pistols while living abroad . By that I mean I have a better idea of trigger control, follow through, target acquisition and breathing control.

It will be in 177.

I used to use RWS Hobby in my last one. Is this still considered a decent pellet for the 45?
    Get the 0.22 Arthur, I think they shoot smoother. Hobbys work well in mine. Lovely guns you won't regret it.

YES, YES, YES!

Get another by all means.

Love them to bits. I stupidly let my first one (an early .177) go in the early 90s.

Managed to replace it with a .22 four years ago. Love that, too, but had a .177 been available at the time, would have gone for the smaller calibre. Suppose that means I'll have to acquire another .177 when I can afford (any excuse!). Although the thwack from a .22 Hobby is very entertaining!

45s do seem to like Hobbies.

Solid build, big handful, superb trigger, masses of character....and they smell lovely!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

hw45

It will be in 177.

Only had mine a few weeks it's taken me back to early years and I love it still trying to get my best group I hope this helps, and I'm in .22 as well, great sound and loves the hobbies, get one. Regards Adrian

Vile.

Yes, recoil can feel good, but because the piston gets flung towards you (rather than the traditional "away" from you) it's reverse-recoil. Which is horrible (like all those old Webley pistols of the same basic design). It's called precoil or something. And btw, you can imagine the shapes the transfer port has to make

You'll know if you want one.

HTH

I started off with a .177 version but it was never going to be enough. Soon added a genuine shoulder stock and correct foresight. Then when I realised I would have to re zero when I took the stock off, I bought a .22 with silver finish. Finally a .20 with Hogue grips was sourced. Wouldn't part with any of them. The HW45 is the best general purpose air pistol out there in my view, from a user's perspective.

John

Thanks for all the replies.
    Arthur

Love my .22 but can't hit the proverbial barn door with it. Its me not the pistol so must get some practise in. Tim

Well, I finally got it, in 177.

After years of full bore pistol shooting I now find the recoil almost unnoticeable.

For a springer, it's very accurate.

Love the gun.
    Arthur

Another great sporting spring pistol, though somewhat overlooked, is the Diana LP8.
    A very accurate and refined springer.

Well, I finally got it, in 177.

After years of full bore pistol shooting I now find the recoil almost unnoticeable.

For a springer, it's very accurate.

Love the gun.
    The question is, Arthur, do you love the SMELL of it, post discharge???

Sorry, folks, sounds quite dodgy that, don't it?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Certainly do, Tony.

And that smoke that comes out of both ends of the barrel.
    Arthur

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Did you get one new or 2nd hand AJS? I have to say I prefer the plain irons on the older models compared to the new fibreoptics. Don't mind fibres for action shooting but I prefer plain sights for precision...
    Good deals with these members

Got it new Eyebull.

From ze Germans.

I'm an old codger now and my eyes aren't what they used to be, so the fibre optics help me a lot with target acquisition.

Even with conventional sights I usually put dots of paint or nail varnish on the post and notch.
    Arthur