Thread: Load for 222

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Load for 222

I know this question as been asked before but. I am looking for a replacement load for my 222
    at the moment I am using 23grains of N133 behind a 40grain Nosler with CCI primers in a tikka 595 1 in 14
    I've sort of lost conidence in the above any help would be gratefully received
    Thanks
    fliss

I've had excellent results with reloader 7, remington 7 1/2 benchrest primer and 40gr hornady v-max seated 10 thou off lands I'm my sako 85 with 20" tube quarter inch groups at 200 yards are very common on windless days. It's an excellent load. I started at 20 grains and worked myself up to 21.6. The max rated for this load is 22 grains I think. (Obviously check this out for yourself before using). I got on ok with nosler 40 grain but not great. I found the ogive was too far back for my sako and couldn't get them near the lands as there wasn't enough of bullet left in the case. Others will say it doesent matter but I found closer is better.

What is bothering you about your current load?

Ps google nosler load data and you will find a good few different combinations on their website for 40 grain b-tip.

try re loaders nest too

for me its also more about what other powders / primers / heads are available on a regular basis locally
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Quote Originally Posted by james19306 View Post
    I've had excellent results with reloader 7, remington 7 1/2 benchrest primer and 40gr hornady v-max seated 10 thou off lands I'm my sako 85 with 20" tube quarter inch groups at 200 yards are very common on windless days. It's an excellent load. I started at 20 grains and worked myself up to 21.6. The max rated for this load is 22 grains I think. (Obviously check this out for yourself before using). I got on ok with nosler 40 grain but not great. I found the ogive was too far back for my sako and couldn't get them near the lands as there wasn't enough of bullet left in the case. Others will say it doesent matter but I found closer is better.

What is bothering you about your current load?

Ps google nosler load data and you will find a good few different combinations on their website for 40 grain b-tip.
    Hi James It might be just me.

The last 5-6 foxes I've shot where all hit low so tried out my load down the range last night ( N V ).
    every thing was fine except that the groups had opened up to what they were before Ie clover leaf.
    The load I.ve been using for the last 10years was 24 grains N133 and 40grain Nos Lapua case cci br4 primer
    but the Viht manual no longer list this load. So I worked up a load as stated in my other post .

in the first instant is was fine but now I don't know

ATB fliss

If you've been using that load for 10 years with no problem and it's still producing consistent accurate groups then I doubt it's anything wrong with the load itself. If the powder or primers were inconsistent I would imagine it would be inaccurate and also throw low shots at the range as well as the field. Has it just started to happen recently? Sounds like some sort of equipment problem with poi changing between range and field?

Eyefor is offline The Artist Formerly Known as Maple
    How old is your brass? Have you checked for case lengths if they have been fired a few times?

Also I gave up on CCI primers as I lost confidence in a load I'd used for years and a change of primer (to Remington) cured that. I also debur the inside and outside of the flash holes plus batch weigh my bullets.

I need to know what I aim at will be killed outright - not injured.

Pedantry to new depths........
    If it flies, floats or fornicates, always rent it - it's cheaper in the long run. - Felix Dennis

James & Eyefor.

The problem started 2 weeks ago. Perhaps I didn't explain myself properly

The load I have used for the last 10years was fine, but vit must have changed the powder for 40grain as the old load is no longer listed using N133

They only list N110 N120 & N130.

So I worked up a load using N133 back in April this year and that was fine until a couple of weeks ago ie low point of impact

Every thing else as been checked and every thing is as it should be. The cases only been used 4 to 5 times and I rotate one lot of 100 with another lot of 100 so that they don't get to much use

The only thing I haven't checked is velocity because I don't have a crony.

ATB.

fliss