Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HW99S woes!

Lucky bugger ! I've been farting about with mine for two months trying to get it over 9 1/2ftlbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Eligus View Post
    Lucky bugger ! I've been farting about with mine for two months trying to get it over 9 1/2ftlbs.
    Aye, but is Gwyn's gun a .22?

As you clearly want more than 9.5 - 10 ish (depending on pellet), I think you've gone and bought the wrong gun for .177 cal.

I'm sure the power will come up with a new piston seal and correctly rated spring.

For the record, the used .22 I bought last year, totally unmolested, was doing 13.5 with Hobbies.

Now nicely running at 11.25 with the Wonky spring.

The new one I bought a few weeks ago, in .177, is doing 10.5 with 'Domes. As it has only done about 40 shots, I'd expect this to rise a little as everything beds in. If it gets much over 11, I'll then turn it down a little, but it is very, very sweet as is.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

The .177 will produce 11+, Wonky has successfully tuned one over 11 as far as i know, i just found the stroke to short when i ran mine at that power so eased it back to 10.5. That said they are soooooooo much better in .22 so I reckon a .20 would be killer (and it seems you can special order one in this calibre)

I was shooting mine tonight practising rat shooting out to 20 yards...quick loading and quick shooting at spinners...utterly superb I found .22 accupells/premiers and all clones work well giving around the same energy as hobby but slightly more accurate at 30 to 35 yards.... At 20yards there is nowt in it however Falcons produce exactly 1fpe less energy, Exact 0.75fpe less so it pays to experiment and see what the rifle likes

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    The .177 will produce 11+, Wonky has successfully tuned one over 11 as far as i know, i just found the stroke to short when i ran mine at that power so eased it back to 10.5.
    The .177" 50s(same gun as the 99s) did 12fpe+ when it came to me(no power restrictions here in Norway).
    After a bit of tinkering I came to the same conclusion, the gun feels best around 10.5fpe, and becomes a bit to snappy for me when its pushed over 11fpe.

The point of me buying a .177 was to have a flatter trajectory for squirrels, where range estimation is problematic. It's not so much the increase in power i wanted but to achieve the flattest trajectory I could.

The point of me buying a .177 was to have a flatter trajectory for squirrels, where range estimation is problematic. It's not so much the increase in power i wanted but to achieve the flattest trajectory I could.
    you still having no luck with the power?

Bigtoe - I'm waiting for a Maccari spring from the states.

Bigtoe - I'm waiting for a Maccari spring from the states.
    waste of time, i have 100+ springs here that are better than any maccari spring, UK made and tempered much better.

If you can wait 3 weeks I will take a look at your rifle and get to the bottom of why you have no power....right after T20's next airgun bash...I bet I could sort it in an hour or 2

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    waste of time, i have 100+ springs here that are better than any maccari spring, UK made and tempered much better.

If you can wait 3 weeks I will take a look at your rifle and get to the bottom of why you have no power....right after T20's next airgun bash...I bet I could sort it in an hour or 2
    Tony, if he attends the bash this weekend you could probably sort it there, like Neil was doing last time.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

John, im not planning on fixing guns there to be honest but I would bring it back with me. I really have very little time for the next 3 weeks and after a workshop break in a lot to do getting things totally secure again.

If he comes and brings the gun im willing to take it and spend a couple of hours on it to get it right, he could then drive down to pick it up.

Bigtoe - that's a great offer. Where is this air gun event? If I can't get I could easily have a ride down to Southport one day. There is no mad rush, I've got plenty of other rifles.

Im in Stockport m8...which really is not to far from you. The bash is Nuneaton which is a little bit further drive.

Thanks, Nuneaton is a bit far. I'll get back to you in a while, in the meantime I might as well try the Maccari spring !

russian sniper is offline 1982 Sausage roll and cider gargling regional finalist
    Nuneaton....... i was born there and went to school there

Is the shoot at the airgun club by the limekilns pub on the A5??